Hag Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big strong french farmhouse ale.... Nice one keith. Definately not a session beer but one to savour. Bet it is going to be a very diverse grain bill....

No offence taken at all Tony... I just feel silly for wasting so much time over the last few years doing stupid conversions...
Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.8 5.40 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
6.8 0.50 kg. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.2 0.45 kg. CarRed France 1.034 30
6.2 0.45 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.2 0.45 kg. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
0.8 0.06 kg. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.
Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.90 29.1 60 min.
20.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.90 3.8 15 min.
30.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 4.4 5 min.
20.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 4.9 1 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.00 2.9 1 min.

man i wouldnt be saying too much on here...... its like admitting you had been drinking VB thinking it was Duvel for 2 years...... you wont live it down.

I said rice gulls once and ........ well we wont go there :lol:

cheers

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
2. Offline - Style undecided as yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - either my fabulous APA or some wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight? - Belgian Witbier
14 - Punter- Kolsch
15 - Craig - not sure yet.
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - Not sure as yet, Beer???
18 - Shmick - Strong Danish lager??? need to think about it.
19 - Leeboy - Either a American Amber Ale, Californian steam ale or a Russian Imperial Stout (with brewers liquorice)
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - I'll let you know when I know
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - yet to be decided
26. Fingolfin - will decide later, brew next weekend

Beer Festival at the Australian on Saturday! Woo.

second last brewer! this list looks awesome.

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
5. Keith - either my fabulous APA or some wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
14 - Punter- Kolsch
19 - Leeboy - Either a American Amber Ale, Californian steam ale or a Russian Imperial Stout (with brewers liquorice)
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like

The next Dave Logsdon in the making, screw that Maths stuff - get involved in the Beer industry.

You may be interested in my planned case contribution using the Wyeast 3711VSS; I have a starter that should be all set for pitching on brew day tomorrow.
K.

3711, sweet, here I am, soon to have 3 saison yeast cultures and I'm yet to taste my first saison :p they sound so good, I can't imagine not liking them :D

After reading through the farmhouse ales book apparently a lot of the traditional saisons had a brett character, now I dont plan to add any brett and can't imagine being too fond of it either - I smelt a sweaty horse blanket once but never trying tasting it lol

second last brewer! this list looks awesome.

5. Keith - wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- Kolsch
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
27. michael mosely - probably a stone IPA clone, not that I would even know what the real one tastes like

To all those I haven't met, welcome, and let me say it's fantastic to have everyone on board.

And I'm already looking forward to drinking a lot of beer.

Michael, we have a couple of Stone fans on the list, so I'm sure you will get lots of constructive feedback.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

still a lot of undecided's in there.

also a lot of really nice beers, lots of diversity.

cant wait.

cheers

Style locked in...

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- Kolsch
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale
23. Schooey - Wheat beer

Put my ESB in the fermenter this morning

Style locked in...

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- Kolsch
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer

Seeings as no-one is doing a black beer, I may just throw in one of my brown porters. It is a beer I am reasonably confident in brewing, and if you dont like it, it wont surprise me :lol: So, yep, cant be arsed writing it on the list yet, but it will be a brown porter from me.
Michael, welcome to the site, and good luck with the stone IPA clone. To be quite honest with you, although a very good beer, it is fairly unbalanced, so I would be heading towards less malt to back up the bitterness. Actually, alot of Stone's beers are a little unbalanced (towards the hops, of course) and their most balanced one being (IMO) their Old Guardian barleywine. Just throw plenty of hops at your IPA, and you will be right!
All the best
Trent
PS Les, if you read this, after the comp season is over, I wanna try a bottle of your Ruination clone. T.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- Kolsch
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
28. Colin Hansell - I'm still thinking, I'll let you know not sure yet

1st Reserve HKS

Seeings as no-one is doing a black beer, I may just throw in one of my brown porters. It is a beer I am reasonably confident in brewing, and if you dont like it, it wont surprise me :lol: So, yep, cant be arsed writing it on the list yet, but it will be a brown porter from me.
Michael, welcome to the site, and good luck with the stone IPA clone. To be quite honest with you, although a very good beer, it is fairly unbalanced, so I would be heading towards less malt to back up the bitterness. Actually, alot of Stone's beers are a little unbalanced (towards the hops, of course) and their most balanced one being (IMO) their Old Guardian barleywine. Just throw plenty of hops at your IPA, and you will be right!
All the best
Trent
PS Les, if you read this, after the comp season is over, I wanna try a bottle of your Ruination clone. T.
Trent,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Ruination-style is of the Imperial Pale Ale family. Furthermore, IIRC, the BJCP guidelines advise that the I2PA style is a "showcase for hops".
That leads me to believe that the Ruination, at least, is justifiably unbalanced toward the hop.

As long as I still have some, I'm happy to sling you a bottle of my Roo-E-Nation ale. OK, I'll put one away for you, seeing that you look after me quite well with your beers. :beer:
Les

Edit: BTW: Welcome aboard Colin and all participants. It looks like we're fully subscribed, but still open to reserve some backup spots. Let the fun begin.
For my beer, I need to get a Schneider weisse clone under way and use that yeast cake for the Weizenbock. I started the yeast last night, and the Schneider weisse is in a no-chil jerry, just waitin'...

Ahh bugger it looks like I just missed out on the numbers and all while reading the whole thread doh! Might be able to put me down as the 1st reserve? Its probably a good thing anyway. 1st batch I've brewed in 10 years so people will probably spit it out anyway :lol:

Let me know if a spot opens up.

Ok well I'm mashing a Foreign Extra Stout as I type so that will be my contribution. Probably not the best choice coming into summer but meh. Doesn't look like there are many other dark beers in the mix.

Seeing as we are booked up I'll add HKS as a reserve.

6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
9. nooch - Foreign Extra Stout
10. Tony - ESB
14 - Punter- Kolsch
17 - Snagler - ESB
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
28. Colin Hansell - I'm still thinking, I'll let you know not sure yet

Reserves

1. HKS

Cheers

Les
Yeah, I know that the imperial IPA is supposed to be a "showcase for hops", and I have drunk more than my fair share of ruination (and all of Stone's beers) right from the source. Shawn and I have also shared a few bottles of Stone, and he feels the same way, that although they are very good beers, and absurdly bitter in some instances, there is generally not quite enough malt there. Reading the BJCP guidelines, almost all the hoppy beers prefer malt to balance. In the case of IIPA "High to absurdly high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will generally support the hop character, and provide the best balance".
Your last Ruination clone (that you so graciously put on at my wedding) was quite well balanced, IIRC. I really enjoy drinking the Stone beers, though feel they (and alot of other breweries in the states) have gone away from a well balanced, yet highly hopped beer, more towards something that is just crazily hoppy, and isnt drinkable all night long. Not that an 8 point something % alcohol beer is designed to be a seesion ale though! They are great beers, and America makes some of the best brews on the planet, I just personally would prefer to see a bit more malt to balance alot of the hoppy beers. It is almost like a case of one-upmanship with the bigger beers now, not saying I will never enjoy them, as I always do, just a little more malt can enhance the drinking pleasure.
My 2c worth only, so treat it as worth that much. And yes, I will gladly accept a bottle of your Roo-E-Nation, and drop you off my weizen batches for your opinion on the 2 different yeasts.
All the best
Trent

Almost had a tragedy last night.

I racked the beer (ESB) in the afternoon before we went out to a work dinner.

I put it in a firmenter that has a bit of a dodgy thread on the firmenter and the taps tend to have trouble doing up tight in it.

I put the tap in and tightened it up no worries, gave it a wiggle and it seemed fine. opened and closed it a few times...... no worries.

racked and lifted to the garage bench top so it would be easily racked to bulk prine without disturbing the yeast cake once settles and finnished completly.

got home at 11pm from the dinner and found a liquid slick comming from underneath the work bench. It was comming from where i have 10 bottles of Xmas beer stored out of site and thought one had exploded. checked them and they were all fine.

while i was kneeling down looking i noticed a hole in the becch top that was all wet around the underside.

I stood up to find the top of the dodgy chipboard bench soaked in beer along with everything on it ;)

went strait to the dodgy tap on the ESB firmenter and it was loose, trickling beer out. :eek:

it got a 1/4 turn to tight and was OK.

It must have poped out a thread a bit before we got home and started leaking.

I lost 1 liter but it could have been worse. the tap could have come all the way out.

anyway there is still about 45 liters of it there and my swolen crappy and now smelly bench top needs replacing.

Im going to chuck the rifmenter after this. Its always had problems holding a tap. I have always waited for the tap to just pop out when ive opened it to take a hydro sample.

cheers

straight to the grain house I say Tony !! :wacko:

Cheers
JSB

ive got too much grain to store in one of them but thats a good idea.

Was even thinking of making it into a compost bin for all the food scraps the kids leave.

something to feed the chilli crops each year :)

cheers

ahhhh the chillis are another story.

I have a Goats Weed Chilli plant growing and found out today it grows to a 7 foot tall tree, i meter wide and sprouts chillis fro every ofifice.

ahhh back to topic.

cheers

Back