Hag - Hunter Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about entering my IPA but I like it so much I don't think I can save some of my keg. I'm sure its about to blow and 700mls is a lot ot waste (enter).

Where do you guys get your yeast?

By the way there is a Belgian beer special at The Brewing Network tomorrow.

daniel

Dan
The majority of us get our yeasts through Mark at marks Home Brew shop, and he is MHB on here. He sells liquid wyeast, which is supplied to him by bigfridge, and he also sells a full range of dried yeast. SO, depending on what kind of yeast you are after, you will find it there. It is on Maitland Rd, islington, right next to the Byrnes surf shop, or ya can call him on 49 696 696. No affilliation, just a happy customer, and you asked.
If you feel like you just want feedback on your IPA, why not sanitise the tap really really well, along with a bottle, and pour it into a bottle straight from the tap, and cap it immediately. It is not the optimal way to do it, but it can be done. Just get a 330mL bottle, so ya can save more IPA for yourself, and send that in. The only reason they request 2 x bottles, is we have a first round comp, where every beer is judged, and feedback given, with the first bottle. The beers that take first place in each of the 9 or 11 categories go into what is called a Best of Show (BOS) round, where experienced judges taste them all side by side and determine which is the best beer at the comp. For example "is this IPA a better example (to style) of an IPA than this dry stout is an example of a dry stout. And is this beglian dubbel a better example of it's style, than the IPA and stout?" etc... until all the judges agree on the best example of style, according to the judging guidelines.
SO, if you feel you only want feedback on how to improve, and dont think it will get through to the BOS round, or even if you do think you will win your category, but dont care about the BOS, where no feedback is given to the brewers, it is decided solely between the judges, then by all means, just put a stubby in. Who knows, you might do well.
Hope that helps
Trent
EDIT - If you DO decide to bottle a stubby, keep that puppy stored in the fridge until it is time to get to the drop off points. If you happen to get some bacteria in the beer during the transfer, keeping it cold will prevent the infection becoming too dominant, and thus you will receive good, accurate feedback on how you can improve your IPA the next time around. All the judges are experienced, and most of them are very good brewers, so you will be in good hands.
T.

I am thinking about entering my IPA but I like it so much I don't think I can save some of my keg. I'm sure its about to blow and 700mls is a lot ot waste (enter).

Where do you guys get your yeast?

By the way there is a Belgian beer special at The Brewing Network tomorrow.

daniel
Maybe you only need 375 ml. Can U spare that much? You only need a second bottle if you plan on making it to the BoS round :lol:

Some of us get our yeast from MHB, and Case swap bottles. Others get it under the lid of supermarket (kit) cans. Others buy from other shops, both online and physically located stores.

Sometimes I make a sample of a re-cultured yeast available from my collection. What strain are you after?

Beerz (I wish I had some brekky Weissbier right now) :beer:

While you are here Les, do you have any further details on times for the comp? Will it be held on both or just one day? When will you need judges/stewards etc to be there? Do I need to be booking a day off from work on Monday? ;)

Evening, I won't have an entry in the comp but I'm happy to help out anyway I can. I have registered on the HAG page. I'm looking forward to it.

Ms Wench

Got my entry boxed up and ready to post today.

I won't be a contender, not even close, but looking forward to the critisism.

Funny story, I was going to enter a 2IPA, but the missus took my last bottle out of the 'cellar' and used it in a damper reciepe that asked for a non bitter beer.

Couldn't of picked a worse one....

so alas only one entry.

While you are here Les, do you have any further details on times for the comp? Will it be held on both or just one day? When will you need judges/stewards etc to be there? Do I need to be booking a day off from work on Monday? ;)

Times and days will depend on how many entries come in. I will have more info by next week.

I am thinking that we will kick off at 10am on the Sat and we will try to get it done on the one day, but can flow onto Sunday if required. But, rather than rush for the sake of squeezing it in to one day we will take our time and do it properly.

Judges and helpers definitely needed so please let me know via the HAG website. Please don't just turn up on the day as all the jobs (other than emptying the slop buckets and mopping the floor) will have been already allocated. :D

All helpers will be richly rewarded (with beer and good company). Helpers can also bring their entries with them rather than send them - the only limitation is that the entry form still needs to be received at Mark;s shop by 5pm Wednesday and the beers will need to be at Potters by 9:30am.

Hope to see you there,

David

Sucessfully dropped my 4 entries at Marks today. Football starts next weekend so gotta sort out what time the game is. Usually they are at 3pm so I might be able to stay till 1ish. Would that be enough time to be of any help big fridge? Otherwise I'd still like to come and just watch.
Lee

Sucessfully dropped my 4 entries at Marks today. Football starts next weekend so gotta sort out what time the game is. Usually they are at 3pm so I might be able to stay till 1ish. Would that be enough time to be of any help big fridge? Otherwise I'd still like to come and just watch.
Lee

Hi Lee,

What day are you referring to ie leave by 1pm Sat or Sun ?

If you haven't done so could you please register at the HAG Brewers site and put your availability in the "Any Other Information" box. That way I have everyone's details in the one spot.

Thanks
Dave

Tony,

I suppose you're assuming that the slops bucket contents will taste better than your recent batches? :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that David was joking about the slops bucket, anyway.
There will be nothing in them coz the beer will be so good that none will be wasted.
Any (...if any) leftovers will go back to the kitchen for "blood alcohol" experiments and "recycling". :lol:

Les out :p

My Mild might be in it mate........... its a bit fruity <_< Hopefully in a good way.

Ahhh only one to find out. I dont care if it comes last, im still entering it.

cheers

I put mine in today, along with a maibock and a weizen. I even threw in a Kolsch for Keith to pick to pieces... :p

My mild will be in on Wednesday, along with a few others. I'm still not sure about the mild. 4 schooners wasn't enough tonight, I might have another just to check it's OK...

Tony, it's good to see that you're not outta here yet. Come in, mild!

Schooey, that looks like the Trifecta of German beers there, to accompany the mild.

Goatherder, that mild of yours might be a bit old before the comp date. I'm just brewing mine today. It should be finished quickly though (3 days, I reckon), as it's going to be split across 2 yeast-cakes of the split batch of choc porter I made. One is the London ale yeast and the other is the Ringwood.

I'll be listening to the comments from the porter judging table and the milds too, I reckon. Can anyone say Frrrrruity?

Beerz.
Old Uncle Seth - off to brew the double-secret Mild ale (only the lhbs knows for sure, and he's not likely to tell...hehehehehehe)
:chug:

let me guess mate...... your using pilsner malt and POR ?????

is that your secret

cheers

Sounds like we may have a fair few brews in this first time event?

Well the mild has a very "Mild" infection....... its just not completly right and i just found a few bits of something forming on the surface in secondary :angry:

IT seems to happen between prinary and secondary.

I have had a bout of those little fruitfly kind of bugs that get in your beer and stink it up. They were in the tap outlet from primary and it smelt like squashed ants in there. I cleaned it out with iodophur a few times with a spray bottle but im wondering if these little f@#kers are spoiling my beer.

Anyway, good luck to all enterants...... maybe i can play next year.

cheers

Hey Tony

Try wrapping up your tap in cling film - keeps most of the smaller bugs out.

Secondaries are way over rated for English Ales anyway ;)

Shmick

Is there going to be any car pooling occurring on the weekend?
Im in the Cardiff area and would prefer not driving,
I can't see my wife dropping me off and picking me up either

Latest posts

Back