Hag - Hunter Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schooey, that looks like the Trifecta of German beers there, to accompany the mild.

It kinda just turned out that way Les, but I can't wait to get some feedback from some officianado's on the subject :p

Can anyone say Frrrrruity?

Nope... But I tasted mine again tonight and I can say crrrrrrrrrrreamy :D

Hey Tony

Try wrapping up your tap in cling film - keeps most of the smaller bugs out.

Secondaries are way over rated for English Ales anyway ;)

Shmick

I made a cover with some silicome tube that was doubled over on the end with a cable tie. This will keep them out. THey were in the frimary airlock too...... this wouldnt have helped. I changed the water and put a rag over it to keep themo ut but i fear it was too late.

never mind.

cheers

Maybe go back to a more simple brewery design mate? From memory I recall u had a lot of hard plumbing in your system. Maybe try using the HLT, MASH TUN and BOILER with a more simplified tranfer method and see if that irons out the problems.

Steve

Maybe go back to a more simple brewery design mate?

Yeah why not go over to BIAB? :ph34r: :lol: just kiddin :p

And for a bit of on topicness, I just realised deadline is this wednesday, so I guess my entry won't be making it this time :( next time maybe.

And back to off topicness... my kegs are slowly emptying, so MHB I should be dropping in to pick up my first grain order in quite a while... all this talk of milds has got me all pumped to try one!

I'm looking forward to heading down the highway and tasting/judging your beers on Saturday fellas :beerbang: How many of you will definitely be there on the day/night? It'll be an early start for me leaving Nambucca to be there for the 10am kick off but I'm up to the challenge...

See you all then,

Shawn.

I'll definately be there Shawn. Keith gave the heads up you were coming down so I might end up staying there as well.

See you there.

I'll definately be there Shawn. Keith gave the heads up you were coming down so I might end up staying there as well.

See you there.

Top stuff Mitch! Looking forward to seeing a few of you blokes again. Has been a while between drinks!

Shawn.

I'll be there, will be great to meet a few more HAG's

Good stuff! Sounds like we'll have a good roll up on the day. See you there,

Shawn.

Is there going to be any car pooling occurring on the weekend?
Im in the Cardiff area and would prefer not driving,
I can't see my wife dropping me off and picking me up either

Hi Offline,

I am in Cardiff and will be driving up - at 8am. You are welcome to a lift.

Just PM me your number and we can chat.

Dave

I'm looking forward to heading down the highway and tasting/judging your beers on Saturday fellas :beerbang: How many of you will definitely be there on the day/night? It'll be an early start for me leaving Nambucca to be there for the 10am kick off but I'm up to the challenge...

See you all then,

Shawn.
I'll be there too, but I expect to be there by about 9:30 ish.

Giddy up!

PM not sent, your inbox is full apparently Dave. A lift would be great though thanks. Send me a PM with your phone No. or Mark (MHB) should have my Phone No.

Oh yep, Ill be there Shawn

Hi Offline,

I am in Cardiff and will be driving up - at 8am. You are welcome to a lift.

Just PM me your number and we can chat.

Dave

How did it go fellas?

What a top afternoon - shame I had to stay and keep the shop open for the morning, I would love to have been there for the whole day.

Great to see so many of the local (and a couple of not so local) brewers in there natural habitat; - surrounded by beer.

Hopefully the results will be up on the HAG website today or tomorrow, all the judging forms and certificates should arrive in the mail this week.
I dont want to pre-empt the official results, but congratulations to all who entered and especially to those who won their classes.

Thanks also to all those who gave their time to steward and judge, there will be another BJCP course starting in the next couple of months so hopefully next year there will be more judges; we are going to need them, because I am dam sure that there will be a lot more entries.

Special thanks to:-
Potters for the venue, lunch, prizes and their ongoing support of craft brewing in the Hunter.

Keith (the beer guy); for his time and effort as part of the organising comity and for his ongoing support of the local brewing community. I know how busy Keith is as head brewer at Potters, we all appreciate his time and effort.

Shawn (Gough);another local gone Pro, great to see you again mate, thanks for making the long drive, your time and effort as a judge and for the prizes donated by Murray's (not to mention a few "tasters" we consumed after the judging).

David (bigfridge) without whom this whole thing wouldnt have happened.

Again thanks and congratulations to all involved.

Mark
MHB

Ooh that was fast, the results are up

Stephen very good beer, congratulations on the BOS

MHB

Thanks also to all those who gave their time to steward and judge, there will be another BJCP course starting in the next couple of months so hopefully next year there will be more judges; we are going to need them, because I am dam sure that there will be a lot more entries.

Special thanks to:-
Potters for the venue, lunch, prizes and their ongoing support of craft brewing in the Hunter.

Keith (the beer guy); for his time and effort as part of the organising comity and for his ongoing support of the local brewing community. I know how busy Keith is as head brewer at Potters, we all appreciate his time and effort.

Shawn (Gough);another local gone Pro, great to see you again mate, thanks for making the long drive, your time and effort as a judge and for the prizes donated by Murray's (not to mention a few "tasters" we consumed after the judging).

Mark has pretty much summed up the day.

All that remains to say is that the results have been uploaded to the HAG website.

Thanks to all entrants and officials.

Dave

Wow that was very very impressive how quickly you guys got those results out!! Would of loved to of made it out for the day but with a 4 week old and the first game of football starting that afternoon it was never that likely i guess. A big job well done guys from a mate who was a steward up there for the day, it sounds like it was fun, educational and well ran.

Thanks mark, david and keith, It's always great to get feedback. Looking forwards to the next one and also the BJCP course. that will be great.

Also for those that won a class I would love to swap one longneck of my beers that won for another winning entry
I took out best pale Lager (kolsch)
Best Strong Ale (american barleywine)
and tied for best dark ale (english mild)\

Let me know if your interested in any of them
Lee

Wow that was very very impressive how quickly you guys got those results out!! Would of loved to of made it out for the day but with a 4 week old and the first game of football starting that afternoon it was never that likely i guess. A big job well done guys from a mate who was a steward up there for the day, it sounds like it was fun, educational and well ran.

Thanks mark, david and keith, It's always great to get feedback. Looking forwards to the next one and also the BJCP course. that will be great.

Also for those that won a class I would love to swap one longneck of my beers that won for another winning entry
I took out best pale Lager (kolsch)
Best Strong Ale (american barleywine)
and tied for best dark ale (english mild)\

Let me know if your interested in any of them
Lee

Lee,

Well done on your results.

I will let a little secret slip - If you got a first there is a prize waiting for you at Mark's shop. These were generously donated by Potters and Murray's breweries.

David

G'day Lee, other entrants and all beer fans.

It's no surprise that Dave (bigfridge) is a techo/chip-head, and he knows how to apply it to practical applications, such as collating and publishing brew comp results.
As the results came to hand, David was entering the data into the laptop. It would have been a bit quicker, but there was one table of judges dragging the chain... (Sorry, David :rolleyes: )

I didn't have a beer worthy of getting into the BoS round. What a shame that I was available to judge in the BoS round. I got to taste the best in each class and compare them all, for stylistic correctness and the "wow factor".
Huge congrats to Stephen Brown with his Orval-ian Brett beer, proving that all beers are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Big ups to David, Mark, Keith, Potters, all the helpers (judges, stewards and sundry attendants) and the Mild High clubbers.
It was a great day with some quality refreshments provided by Potters, Murrays and South Coast Real Ale. Jealous, anyone?

Let's do it again soon. :beer:
Les the not-Weizguy but the APA-guy <_<

Back