Hag - Hunter Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
G'day,

At this stage, we are running a comp for the Hunter region only. Hopefully, we'll expand next year.
There will be a reasonable amount of tolerance regarding the definition of Hunter.
(Don't want to exclude Trent in Forster, etc.) ;)

It's on for the 5th and 6th of April (weekend). Graciously and generously hosted at Potters Brewery in Nulkaba.
Most likely to be a Saturday arvo judging session and all day Sunday, with a Best of Show round. :D

Entries to be left at Mark's Home Brew shop in Islington, Potters Brewery or a number of delegated pick-up spots, to be announced here.

BJCP guidelines and judging standards will be used, and all BJCP styles accepted. :eek:

We'll be looking for judges and stewards, too, for either or both days. I have my hand up, of course.

More details as we sort them out, including entry fees and prizes.

Get brewing now, or stash some of your existing beers away from the threat of being consumed.

Brew hard, and brew good, but always brew! :super:

See youse there.
Les

Bit of a short deadline??? :(

Doesn't look like I'll have time to brew an entry but I might be able to help out as a steward for one of the days. :)

Great, I have a Choc Porter, Duvel clone and a Belgian Dubbel I can put in.

Steve

Les,

A few of the ISB'ers may be interssted in coming up and helping out with the judjing.

Let us know

croz

Bit of a short deadline??? :(

Doesn't look like I'll have time to brew an entry but I might be able to help out as a steward for one of the days. :)
Yeah, I know. You could always brew a mild or a weizen, for quick turn-over.

We decided to proceed, rather than bail on the project.
If we get a small number of entries, that'll still be sufficient to check our competition-running methods.

I'll get back to you, Croz. Too kind to offer.

Cheers
Les

Just got an E-Mail from bigfridge, the web site is up (hagbrewers.com)
This comp isnt limited to AG brewers, hope we get a good turn out, in spite of the short notice.

Here is to a great weekend.

MHB

mmmmm might not be able to brew in time for it but i do have a bottle of Old Ale sitting about.

Na...... i wont do that!

might knock up a small batch in my esky and see how it goes.

4 weeks hey..... its going to be tight. Ive been thinking of doing an APA to see if i can make one i like to drink. I tried a couple in the case swap that were nice so it can be done. This can be a trial batch with instant comp feedback.

everyone else in the world seems to like them........ it must be posible to make a good one! It MUST be!

or maybe something else....... will have to mash tomorrow night to do it.

cheers

Both myself and my beers will be there. I am happy to judge, steward or just stand around and drink. You choose.

Cool... I can give my mash paddle Maibock an early test :D

mmm did some numbers and i wont be entering. A bit more than 4 weeks notice would have been nice <_<

Good luck to all entrants.... may the best beer win!

mmm did some numbers and i wont be entering. A bit more than 4 weeks notice would have been nice <_<

Wassup, Tony?

Shame that you won't have time to get something ready in time.
Sorry about the late notice, but watcha gonna do?

I may struggle for a few entries myself. I gotta brew soon to replenish supplies, as my kegs are both empty and only HAG swap beers that are fresh. (violins play sweetly as Les laments).

Hope to see you in the next comp (whenever that is), and I'll drop some Schneider yeast in at the shop 4 U (maybe Thursday) if ur likely to be there anytime after that.

Les out

Will hopefuly brew this week or weekend to enter this, never had a beer properly judged before. Happy to help out in any way too.

Thanks Les...... the yeast will be very handy..... especialy after ditching my collection.

Im brewing right now...... the rig is back together and im confident.

Brewing something that i wont be to worried about if it fails.

an APA :eek:

Yeah i know...... i hate APA's but as Les said...... what ya gonna do? Cant beat them so i guess i should at least try joining them. If its ready in time i will run a couple of bottles full from the keg and re gas em and send them in.

cheers

Ahhh Tony. I wasn't going o brew anything myself, but you're talking me into it.

Have you got some sort of reverse psychology thing happening?

I'll take you on with a mild. I get back from Melbourne on Sat the 29th March and I'll whip one up for the comp on Sun.

Yahh up for it Tony?

Happy Brewing,

Keith

Just got an E-Mail from bigfridge, the web site is up (hagbrewers.com)
This comp isnt limited to AG brewers, hope we get a good turn out, in spite of the short notice.

Here is to a great weekend.

MHB

Now I may have a go myself with an IPA or my 10 month old stout k&k.

g

Thanks Les...... the yeast will be very handy..... especialy after ditching my collection.

Im brewing right now...... the rig is back together and im confident.

Brewing something that i wont be to worried about if it fails.

an APA :eek:

Yeah i know...... i hate APA's but as Les said...... what ya gonna do? Cant beat them so i guess i should at least try joining them. If its ready in time i will run a couple of bottles full from the keg and re gas em and send them in.

cheers

Tony, did you know that APAs have cascade in them?

Just thought I'd point it out before you do something you might regret later. :D

Ahhh Tony. I wasn't going o brew anything myself, but you're talking me into it.

Have you got some sort of reverse psychology thing happening?

I'll take you on with a mild. I get back from Melbourne on Sat the 29th March and I'll whip one up for the comp on Sun.

Yahh up for it Tony?

Happy Brewing,

Keith

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (that was screamed out loud)

How can a bloke knock back a challenge like that. If my Mild looses, i'll see you behind the shitter at potters!

Dont make me dig out the Old Ale :p

Bloody hell i hope i have this infection issue sorted. I will be pulling out of a lot of comitments if i dont. Im confident though.

Tony, did you know that APAs have cascade in them?

Just thought I'd point it out before you do something you might regret later. :D

Oh shit......... what have i done :icon_vomit:

It had cascade, simcoe and some amarillo at the end. FWH's with B-SAAZ flowers. Smells good into the firmenter. Here's hoping it still smells good in a week.

Im going to see how i go with it. If i have trouble drinking it...... i wont bother again. I cant knock them if i dont try brewing them can i?

cheers

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (that was screamed out loud)

How can a bloke knock back a challenge like that. If my Mild looses, i'll see you behind the shitter at potters!

Dont make me dig out the Old Ale

Bloody hell i hope i have this infection issue sorted. I will be pulling out of a lot of comitments if i dont. Im confident though.

Oh shit......... what have i done
It had cascade, simcoe and some amarillo at the end. FWH's with B-SAAZ flowers. Smells good into the firmenter. Here's hoping it still smells good in a week.

Im going to see how i go with it. If i have trouble drinking it...... i wont bother again. I cant knock them if i dont try brewing them can i?

cheers

Hmmm, I believe that I have an APA for the comp just about ready to bottle. It's not my forte, but easy enough to knock one out.

It's a fairly basic SFPA with a tweak to give it that caramel background I like. Tastes great from the fermentor, all yeasty and such.
Worst case scenario...you don't like your APA but you like mine :super:
Everyone's a winner! :icon_cheers:

BTW, Mark has a 120 kg bag of rice gulls. Now if I can convince him to label it as "Rice Gulls". hahaha :p

Les out

Ive been thinking of doing an APA to see if i can make one i like to drink. I tried a couple in the case swap that were nice so it can be done.

Tony, I've recently I've began to steer away from the yankee hops. For so long I couldn't understand how someone could say theyre not into 'em, but I finally see where your coming from! All hail goldings!

And not entirely (or at all) related to Tony's comment... I've been out of brewing action for a couple months now (as I'm sure MHB can back up, no hour long weekly visits from me for a while! :p), so I don't have much in the way of beer left for entry. I must say though I ended up a big fan of my case swap beer - and I also happen to have a single longy left of it. is it bad form to enter a HAG case swap beer into a HAG comp... I'm pretty sure everyone involved would have tasted it already, I think I only remember reading one or two brief comments in the swap tasting thread though and I want more feedback :)

Cheers

Sam

Latest posts

Back