Hag Christmas Case Drinkin'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone.

Straw colour with medium carbonation - disappeared fairly quickly but my glass wasn't fresh. Light hop aroma with a light-medium body. Malt and hops are balanced well leaving a clean, well made beer. Great job Loftboy.

Thanks
Pete

Thanks for the kind words Peve
They're a little unusual but the spices are corriander, cumin & carraway seed.
The last few minutes of the boil smelled like an Indian take away but it's settled down nicely by the sound of it.

I also thought I'd tackle n00ch's AIPA yesterday (just to avoid any workcover issues) but unfortunately it had exploded sometime during night.
Luckily it didn't take out any of the others in the crate but did make a mess of Les' fine DD label.
Amazing thing was the neck of the bottle was still intact but the cap was blown off.
Better luck next time n00ch.

#23 Schooey's NS Summer Ale.

Had it last night on the back of Trent's review and it was most enjoyable. One of the top entries so far.
Loved the NS hops.
Reminded me of the JS Hop Thief limited release a year or 2 back that I couldn't quite pick. Now I know.
Kind of like a freshly skinned rabbit marinating in grapefruit juice - but in a good way. :lol:
Incredible clean citrus all the way to the end and the light malt base worked well without getting in the way.
It was nice to have a hopped up ale without being overly bitter also.

Good stuff Schooey.

Cheers for the wrap shmick, glad you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed yours.

This carbonation issue is quite weird. I had one on NYE after being in the bottle for some time and it was under carbonated... Dave's seemed to be ok but yours and Scotty's had issues. I bulk primed as well. Unless there were a few dodgy bottles but the one I had wasnt infected in anyway.

Oh well thems the brakes. The beer wasn't what I wanted it to be anyway so it might be a blessing in disguise.

I also had one of the case beers explode over the weekend but I cant find the bottle top to find out which beer it was.

Cheers

15 - Craig - American Rye - Bottled 26/11/2007 5.4% US05

I've not tried one before so didn't know what to expect. Aroma - light american hops with something in the background that may be the rye?? Golden in colour with a slight haze. A HUGE fluffy white head that I could've eaten with a spoon!! Medium light bodied with American hop flavours and quite a lot of bitterness.
A really well made and refreshing beer. Thanks Craig!!

Pete

This carbonation issue is quite weird. I had one on NYE after being in the bottle for some time and it was under carbonated... Dave's seemed to be ok but yours and Scotty's had issues. I bulk primed as well. Unless there were a few dodgy bottles but the one I had wasnt infected in anyway.

Oh well thems the brakes. The beer wasn't what I wanted it to be anyway so it might be a blessing in disguise.

I also had one of the case beers explode over the weekend but I cant find the bottle top to find out which beer it was.

Cheers

It was not infected, as Dave mentioned it was really lovelly beer. Not the biggest fan of bulk priming, the little red thing from Woolies treats us well.

Scotty

9. Nooch - AIPA

Poured a hazy Dark copper coloured beer
Mild fruity aroma present maybe plums and raisins
Bitterness med, dry finish from the bitterness that lingers on the palette
Easy to drink beer that I enjoyed ,
Well done
Thanks for the beer Nooch
Cheers Colin

9. nooch - AIPA bottled 15/12/07. Leave at least 2 weeks to carb up.

Carbonation on mine was fine. It poured on hazy orange/brownwith a medium sized head. None of the hop aromas I would have expected though some caramel was apparent (I went back and checked the cap number to be sure I'd picked up the right one). Medium bodied and malt-driven with few hop notes. Bitterness however is in the medium range creating a very enjoyable drop. Thanks heaps N00ch

Pete

Looks like its back to the red priming thingy for me. I knew there was a reason why I only bottle once/twice a year.

Thanks for the reviews though. Definately not the beer I wanted but seems to be drinkable all the same.

Cheers

Mitch

dont blame it on the bulk priming. There was either something wrong with the bottles or the sugars didnt mix in well enough.

I have bulk porimed for years and get perfect carb every time with my system that uses final gravity to determine how much dex is needed.

cheers

Yeah quite possibly didn't mix in well enough I think. I to have bulk primed many a time with fine results.

Cheers

there is every chance that you didnt mix it properly and the sugars sunk to the bottom as they will.

If hte forst few bottles sucked too much sugar they would be the ones that went BOOM

some were right and the ones at the top were under carbed.

sounds like you forgot to stir to me.

could be wrong but thats what it looks like from the stories.

cheers

21. Pokolbin Guy - Golden Ale

Clear golden colour with a thin-medium head that swiftly disappears. Some orange / mandarin on the nose. Thin body with citrus hops being the dominant flavour. A well made beer!! I'm not sure what is in Mark's hop mix but for my taste I'd add extra Amarillo on top of the bag. While I'm creating a wish list :p , some extra light malt may give it a little more body. Thanks Pokolbin Guy

Pete

14 - Punter- American Amber

Clear ruby red in colour with a smallish head. Medium-bodied and malt-driven, I got a distinctly coffee/chocolate flavour at first that progressed to toffee by the end (but I may be crazy) There was residual bitterness in the back of the mouth at the end of each mouthful that left me wanting more. Excellent!!! Thanks Heaps Punter

Thanks
Pete

9. nooch - AIPA.

poured very hazy, deep amber/copper colour. On the forst sniff i new it was lacking in about 80% of the hops it should have.

VEry malty, and a tad yeasty. The malt was a bit chewey like it had been mashed too hot and not attenuated enough. bitterness ballanced the beer well but was not prominent as its an IPA of sorts.

Some American hops that i didnt find plesant but when its a rare one i do!.

Thius was a fair American anber ale mate but nowhere near an AIPA. It needs some work.

Maybe les malt and 5 times more hops!

A bif IPA is all about the hops so dont skimp...... its costs some and the big character doesnt last long but when its fresh and you get the hops smoothand ballanced but big.... its great!

cheers

12. Peve. American pale..... golden.

Bloody hell what is it with these americans????????????????????

This beer was nice. i drank it while cooking a BBQ for the family or dinner in stinking heat.

It was a nice deep golden colour but not too dark. Hops were perfectly ballanced to the malt which was rich and slightly sweet. Bitterness was pressent and held the malt up very well.

Flavour was american hops.......mmm.... they were very nice for American hops and i did enjoy them buit 2 glaqsses was enough. Some malt sjhone through the hops and made it very drinkable. It was clear, well carbed, held a nice head and i did enjoy the beer. Thanks Peve...... well done on an APA i could drink! :super:

#23 Schooey's NS Summer Ale

Grabbed this one at random from the fridge. Opened with some violence and poured about 10% beer, 90% head into a duvel glass. Bad move was initiated by putting the bottle on the bench to go check the laptop. Came back to find beer climbing out all over the floor, bench, mail etc. Doh!

OK, so there is a moderate plastic/medicinal aroma and flavour. No-one else has picked this up so I presume its from the infection rather than chlorine/chloramines in the water. Must admit I was really looking forward to this one after the rave reviews! Cest la vie...

13. Insight - Smoked Robust Porter.

Poured a nice deep brown, light black colour, nice carb with a nice tight creamy head.

Smooooooooooooooth creamy texture which really made me smile. Its sweet and bitter at the same time. ballance could be a little bit more bitter but im not complaining...... its lovley.

Light smoke, not really noticable up front, a touch of hops but once again not much. The beer is malt driven and it is a very nice malt character driving. Smooth chocolate, sweet slightly chewey but not cloying, great!

Clean, very well made beer to be proud of!

cheers nad thanks for the bottle.

2. Offline - APA Bottled 11/12

Now thats a head! A dark copper colour with a fair bit of haze. Smells and tastes exactly like you would expect from lots of late C hops. I also get some redskin lolly in the nose. Medium body, well balanced (maybe tending towards the sweet), quite resinous, warming. Very filling, lots of burps, so plenty of opportunity to taste those lovely hops again.

This is similar to how I brew an APA, but I like mine on the malty side. You'll probably do better wth other's tastes by drying it out some (lower mash temp, more attenuative yeast) and lowering the carbonation a hair. For me this is a tasty beer, much appreciated.

#23 Schooey's NS Summer Ale

Grabbed this one at random from the fridge. Opened with some violence and poured about 10% beer, 90% head into a duvel glass. Bad move was initiated by putting the bottle on the bench to go check the laptop. Came back to find beer climbing out all over the floor, bench, mail etc. Doh!

OK, so there is a moderate plastic/medicinal aroma and flavour. No-one else has picked this up so I presume its from the infection rather than chlorine/chloramines in the water. Must admit I was really looking forward to this one after the rave reviews! Cest la vie...

That's a shame insight.. :(

I don't think it's a chlorine/chloramines thing, the water I used was filtered, pre boiled and chilled before mashing and boiling etc. I really am OTT with sterilisation too, but I guess you never know. Sorry about the mess. I figured the overcarbing was due to not leaving in secondary for long enough and still having some fermentables left into the bottle when I primed it, but I'm always open to other advice.

Cheers,

Schooey

Back