Hag Christmas Case Drinkin'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith the Beer Guy

Reaction score
Time to get the ball rolling I think this was the latest list of all participants:

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale aka Teninch Double D (Dunkelweizen Doppelbock). 7.7% alc. Bottled with reserved wort on 8/12 (so give it a little time in the fridge - maybe up to 6 months for a strong beer like this)
2. Offline - APA Bottled 11/12
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner. Wyeast 2001. 6.5% abv. Bottled 20/11/2007. Ready to drink.
4. David L - American IPA. Flying Dog yeast 7.3% abv. Bottled 15-Dec so give it 2 weeks to carb plus a week in the fridge would do it wonders
5. Keith - AIPA, Wyeast 1028. Bottled 07/12/07 DRINK NOW; 5s A Foreign extra stout, Yeast S04, 5.5% DRINK NOW
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - Some sort of English ale - Bottled 12/12/07; WY1968 OG:1.064 FG:1.015, 6.4%. Drink in a long time!
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - AIPA bottled 15/12/07. Leave at least 2 weeks to carb up.
10. Tony - Golden ale. Bottled 2.12.07....... NOT ready yet. leave it till the new year.
11 - Trent - Saison - give it 2 weeks to carb. Also a Belgian Pale Ale - ready to drink.
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight - Smoked Robust Porter
14 - Punter- American Amber
15 - Craig - American Rye - Bottled 26/11/2007 5.4% US05
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - ESB OG 1.055 FG 1.008 Bottled 25/10/07 (Ready to drink, carbonation higher than I would have liked) Critisism welcome!!!
18 - Shmick - Spiced Belgian Golden Ale (WY3522)
19 - Leeboy - American Amber Ale READY TO DRINK
20. Danny Boy - Scottish Heavy Ready to Drink
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale - Bottled 9.12.07 DON'T drink until late January.
24. Stephen - English pale ale
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - Dark Ale
26. Fingolfin - UK Double IPA - Double IPA with a british twist
27. michael mosely - cascade / amarillo IPA, bottled 04/12/07
28. Colin Hansell - Irish Red Ale

And my first tasting beer is No. 5. - my own beer.

(This is the first sampler I've had.)

American style IPA:

My beer is as cloudy as buggery, probably from its recent travelling more than anything else, and has a honeyed orange colour. Off white head that didn't last, but beaded well.

A grapefruit like citrus flavour with a pine-like resin aroma. There is a grassiness that I don't particularly like in my APA's and indicates to me that perhaps I was a little bit heavy handed with the hops.

The balance between malt and bitterness is not too bad. The malt presence should be a little greater and there is a lingering bitterness
with a hint of that grassiness thats not my cup of tea. I like to taste a little bit more malt character, I do get a little bit of a honey flavour coming through, but the hops do the dominating thing.

In summary - a fair effort - not too bad for sitting back and watching the Aussie's scoring boundaries if you don't mind the yankee hops.

K.

Edited to including an apostrophe and an 's'.

yeah but he added an apostrophe and an s to APA when its an AIPA.

Im personaly ofeended by this lack off attention to the spelling in the post and demand endless kegs of potters beers to be sent to my home as compensation for my pain and anguish!

:p

back to reality..... i cant wait to try these beers. i can see myself commenting on beers from the wrong swap in the wrong post after a few :) I have 4 milk crated full of beers in my garage and i cant decide what to drink first. Ahhhh one at a tile and go from the brewer feedback!

cheers and im sure it will be fine keith. If its an AIPA, shouldnt it be big big big on hops.... more so than and APA?

:chug:

edit: added the "e" to ofeended to correct the spelling

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
fffffffffffffantastic how well i spell isnt it :)

Im an electrician...... great with numbers.... but words...... well they can go jump for all i care :)

cheers

Okay... I'm no beer judge, far from it. I have no idea how to put this stuff into the 'proper' terminology, but I'm happy to post what I think. If that's no help then I can stop. Anyway, here goes...

I started with Punter's entry (Good to meet you mate), as it sort of fell out of the crate first.

I thought it poured well and was carbed spot on. It held a nice off whitey brownish head all the way to the bottom of the glass and laced quite well. Felt very smooth in the mouth, and had a nice caramelly flavour, and a lingering bittery aftertaste, but I'm not a regular drinker of this style so i don't know if it was too much or not.

All in all I liked it. Thanks punter.

:icon_offtopic:

yeah but he added an apostrophe and an s to APA when its an AIPA.

Im personaly ofeended by this lack off attention to the spelling in the post and demand endless kegs of potters beers to be sent to my home as compensation for my pain and anguish!
You are completely right Tony. Two mistakes in the one acronym. The, 's, and the inconsistent descriptor of my beer. The former is a hideous and unforgiveable sin, the latter merely a reflection of my indecisive nature, or alternately perhaps a manifestation of the possibility that some beers and some beer styles are not as definitve as one might sometimes imagine.

K.
Given that I had actually drawn attention to my use of apostrophes - endless kegs don't seem appropriate, I'll spot you one middy of Koelsch, that may be claimed at Potters while I am on-site.

SOry to bombard with non tasting posts but they will come.

To all those that took home chilli plants that i delivered....... the ones with the big fat leaves will nost likly be Naga Jolokia chillis....... not choc habs. These things are indian chillies and come with a severe heat warning so dave, who i know got one, and Peve and anyone else, dont pick them and chew them for fun if they grow.

give them lots of sun and good soil, some food (not nitrogen rich.... go the thrive fruiting solution, and see how they go.

the other 2 (the little one and the tall one)..... no idea what they are but they will be habanero's of some sort.

here is my source...... these plants are identical to what i grew.

cheers

http://chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4875

Just did some more reading on them and turns out they are the hottest chillies in the world comming in at around 1 000 000 SHU so if they grow and they are all red and rinkely, dont just bite into them cause they will probably kill you.

cheers again

Thanks all for the top turn out, it's always great to get so many brewers under one roof and to hear so much good beer talk.

Re my entry:
As planed it's my bright ale beta - owing to this being my busiest month and me being knackered, I was a bit late getting it into bottles (2 am Saturday morning to be precise) so it wont be carbed yet.

I would recommend drinking around the second week in January, and to drink it at its best - leave refrigerated for 7 days prior to drinking.

I hope you all enjoy my contribution; I am sure there will be some great offerings and that we will all be able to benefit from the insights offered by our peers and use the feedback to help us brew better beer.

MHB

Gday all
I ended up getting 28 bottles of saison, so no-one got the BPA. Only bottled it on the 11th, so I would say by xmas it should be good to go.
Looking forward to getting into a few of these offerings asap.
All the best
Trent
EDIT - Forgot to say how good it was to catch up with all the brewers at the swap. Thanks to mark for allowing us to use his shop, and for putting on some tasty beers (especially that wood aged number - I could happily drink a few of them!). Hope to catch up with ya's all again sooner rather than later. T.

Not a style I'm all that familiar with, so I'll just put down what I see/taste.

Pours a beautiful dark cherry red, very clear. Smells of chocolate and roast. Head is pretty big initially but doesn't last long. Carbonation is definitely a bit high, carbonic bite. Hops are in perfect balance. The roasty taste seems a bit overpowering for me - masks any caramel that might (should?) be there.

In all, an enjoyable beer though I'd like to try it with lower carbonation. Out of interest, what was the yeast used and what was FG? Thanks for the beer Colin.

15. Craig's American Rye - Was good to meet you craig. Being unfamiliar with this style also, I wasn't sure if I should have left it longer. the only reason that I say that is that the bitterness of the hops seemed to outweigh everything else and I think with a bit more time maybe hat would have mellowed. I'm not sure so if someone would like to help me out here I'd be appreciative. :D

Apart from the bitterness thing though, I really enjoyed the beer. the carbonation was excellent and I really enjoyed it. Thanks Criag.

15. Craig's American Rye - Was good to meet you craig. Being unfamiliar with this style also, I wasn't sure if I should have left it longer. the only reason that I say that is that the bitterness of the hops seemed to outweigh everything else and I think with a bit more time maybe hat would have mellowed. I'm not sure so if someone would like to help me out here I'd be appreciative. :D

Cheers Schooey - I havn't tried any of the left over stubbies as yet - but will do so tonight.
The beer is up there in terms of bitterness (about 34 IBU from memory) - so it may need a couple more weeks in the bottle to smooth out a bit more.

Cheers,

Craig

G'day All

Just thought I'd say what a good swap day we had.
Fantastic to catch up with a few familiar faces and meet some new ones.
Special thanks to Mark for organising and hosting - well done. I'm sure everybody appreciated it.

I only bottled mine on 25th Nov.
You can drink it now if you want to but it will benefit from a few weeks more conditioning.

I noticed my sample stubby I cracked the other night had a slight chill haze.
For the uninitiated (non all-grain brewers) it is nothing to worry about. It just appears slightly cloudy when very cold but clears on warming.
It's only a visual affliction however - it doesn't effect flavour/aroma/mouthfeel. Maybe somebody with a longer lunch break can elaborate.
A few days to a week in the fridge before opening will improve things.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Edit: I should also mention I used the WY3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast for those wishing to try culturing.
It will be fairly knocked around after a 9.4% ABV ferment but worth a try.

Any other special yeasts been used that us culturing fanatics should be aware of? So far I have

4 - David L - Flying Dog Ale
18 - Shmick - Belgian Ardennes
19 - Leeboy - Fat Tyre

Not a style I'm all that familiar with, so I'll just put down what I see/taste.

Pours a beautiful dark cherry red, very clear. Smells of chocolate and roast. Head is pretty big initially but doesn't last long. Carbonation is definitely a bit high, carbonic bite. Hops are in perfect balance. The roasty taste seems a bit overpowering for me - masks any caramel that might (should?) be there.

In all, an enjoyable beer though I'd like to try it with lower carbonation. Out of interest, what was the yeast used and what was FG? Thanks for the beer Colin.
I used Muntons Gold Yeast, The FG was 1009

3. Goatherder's Iimperial Pilsner - Poured an absloute treat, had a beautiful silky white head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Carbing was perfect and it was pretty clear in the glass.

The aroma was great and I couldn't wait to taste it, I wasn't disappointed. I thought the bitterness and the maltiness were perfectly balanced. I'm not sure what malts were in it, but I thought I maybe tatsed some Cara in there? It had a rich smooth caramel flavour and went perfectly with the cow I massacred on the BBQ tonight.

I really enjoyed it GH, and I'd be proud to say I brewed it. Thanks.

Any other special yeasts been used that us culturing fanatics should be aware of? So far I have

4 - David L - Flying Dog Ale
18 - Shmick - Belgian Ardennes
19 - Leeboy - Fat Tyre

Scotty - Lager yeast.... ;-P

Scotty

I suppose I should say here too, mine is pretty much right to drink. I would suggest a week in the fridge then go for it.

The recipe is a Maltose Falcons winner which can be found here. The differences were an 1hr Saccharification and a 1hr boil rather than 1.5hr Saccharification and a 2hr boil.

The yeast was different too, but I can't remember what it was at the moment, will update when I figure it out. SEE POST BELOW FOR YEAST. Cheers Lee.

Latest posts

Back