GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would possibly use the top screen but it does compact the grain bed

How so? It weighs barely anything, so wouldn't it only compact the grain bed if you either physically pushed it down, or put a shiteload of water on top of it by recirculating too fast/too early? It shouldn't inherently compact it, as it doesn't weigh enough, so won't increase pressure on the bed significantly compared to having the same amount of mash water on top without the screen

I have an idea that when the Chinese started making the SVB's maybe they had a look at the BM which has to have a top screen as the pressure pushes up against the top screen. If I didn't have the handle holes blocked off with the all thread I would possibly use the top screen but it does compact the grain bed. If the return pipe is proud of the liquor then some silicone hose will stop any fear of channeling, in this photo you can see where the grain bed comes up to because of the 'tide mark', more a less floating grain bed should theoretically, give a better conversion.
View attachment 114862

Do you always re circulate via the return pipe? Some brewers (as in, the YT videos I've watched) prefer to adjust the flow so it remains under the return and drains (purely) back through the bed. On the face of it at, at least to me, that would seem to be the idea. Have you tried both ways? Make any difference?

Do you always re circulate via the return pipe? Some brewers (as in, the YT videos I've watched) prefer to adjust the flow so it remains under the return and drains (purely) back through the bed. On the face of it at, at least to me, that would seem to be the idea. Have you tried both ways? Make any difference?
I have tried it both ways and it made no difference, I just watch the level of the liquor and make sure it holds steady, usually about half choke. you may be not able to see it but I have some silicone tube rammed in up to the taper of the bazooka, so there is nothing going down the overflow pipe.
How so? It weighs barely anything, so wouldn't it only compact the grain bed if you either physically pushed it down, or put a shiteload of water on top of it by recirculating too fast/too early? It shouldn't inherently compact it, as it doesn't weigh enough, so won't increase pressure on the bed significantly compared to having the same amount of mash water on top without the screen
Have a good look at the pictures I posted, the screen would be well below where the grain is sitting and tell me, why would I need the screen, there is no way the grain can escape from the malt pipe. Let the grain drift around in suspension.
Still says 1 year on their website, do you know when this change is coming in to affect?
In effect right now, and also giving consideration to lifting it to 3 years dependent of how things go.
No major problems like the RB3 where many have had to replace the screen and circuit board

Last edited:
Last brew I tried a similar thing and got 80% efficiency which is above my normal 75%. I put both pipes in and had a 5.25 grain bill then I left the top screen above the pipe connector, the grain did rise up against the screen but it was first time I have been able to use the Guten pump at full flow.

Last brew I tried a similar thing and got 80% efficiency which is above my normal 75%. I put both pipes in and had a 5.25 grain bill then I left the top screen above the pipe connector, the grain did rise up against the screen but it was first time I have been able to use the Guten pump at full flow.
I am a great believer in if something can be done in a simple way without losing quality, then that's the way to do it. Full volume mash, = no sparge and with a ' no chill' on top of that, quicker brew day.

I am a great believer in if something can be done in a simple way without losing quality, then that's the way to do it. Full volume mash, = no sparge and with a ' no chill' on top of that, quicker brew day.

So do you need to allow for extra grain with your recipes with the Guten? I was doing full volume brews for months with my old set up and couldn't understand why my OG always went to shit until I happened upon this article.
https://byo.com/article/skip-the-sparge/

So do you need to allow for extra grain with your recipes with the Guten? I was doing full volume brews for months with my old set up and couldn't understand why my OG always went to shit until I happened upon this article.
I don’t have a gluten but that’s a good read. I have been doing full volume and wondered why I always needed to up the grain a little to hit og. I thought I just sucked.

You can up the grain bill, but what I do is dial in a lower efficiecy, instead of 85% dial in 70% try that and tweak from there.

you seriously get 85%!?!
also, have you actually noticed an improvement in flavour as the article suggests?

you seriously get 85%!?!
also, have you actually noticed an improvement in flavour as the article suggests?
80 to 85% is not unreasonable, 90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil, if I dial 70% into a recipe which is going to be a no sparge it isn't far off the mark. The usual addition without lowering the sights to 70% would be to add 20% extra on to the grain bill but most of the supporting literature was made before recirculating SVB's were on the market. Flavour improvement, I would say the only way for myself would be to do a side by side taste test, some one like Gordon Strong may pick a difference it but I doubt if I could.

I got mine from China I wonder if that will be covered, although the 2 years are almost up.

I can't imagine that the local importer/retailer would cover something that was bought from the same supplier, but not through them.
The Guten manufacturers themselves in China (if we just call them 'Guten') seemed to have decent customer service prior to KK starting to import their products

I got mine from China I wonder if that will be covered, although the 2 years are almost up.
Think you are on your own there. Distributor will only warrant what they sold. They would be pretty stupid to do otherwise unless the manufacturer recompnesed them for it somehow. imagine if you were the distributor and people asked for help on stuff you had nothing to do with?????

2 years is going to be easy peasy, mine is very close to 2 years, only fault was the switch, but it has had some hammer, switch bought here $7.00 I have every faith in a 2 year warranty.

Latest posts

Back