GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m now onto the boil - I’ve had a few issues along the way getting familiar with how things work. I measured my pre-boil gravity and it is really low, strange as the temperature seemed within a few degrees of mash temp and it was mashing for a good 60 mins.
One problem I have and I can’t figure it out....how do I assemble the overflow pipe on the false bottom? Maybe someone could post a photo?
My issue is that I have a connector piece onto say the long piece and I thread that through the hole in the false bottom however there is nothing that stops this from slipping through and out of the false bottom. When I went to sparge, if I was to take the overflow top plate off then the overflow pipe would drop out and down into the wort.
What am I missing?

Thanks

I’m now onto the boil - I’ve had a few issues along the way getting familiar with how things work. I measured my pre-boil gravity and it is really low, strange as the temperature seemed within a few degrees of mash temp and it was mashing for a good 60 mins.
One problem I have and I can’t figure it out....how do I assemble the overflow pipe on the false bottom? Maybe someone could post a photo?
My issue is that I have a connector piece onto say the long piece and I thread that through the hole in the false bottom however there is nothing that stops this from slipping through and out of the false bottom. When I went to sparge, if I was to take the overflow top plate off then the overflow pipe would drop out and down into the wort.
What am I missing?

Thanks
You should have a two long SS pieces with threads on them and 3 SS connectors, you should have 1 connector on the bottom screwed into the longer piece which you then put through the false bottom, you should then use the middle connector to connect the two long pieces together, after that put the top plate on and use the final connector to lock that in place, it shouldn't fall through then.

Did you sparge? I find you get better gravity when sparging, however I also brewed today and my gravitiy wasn't great either (pre boil 12.5, expected 13.6) , post boil I ended up at 14.15 where beersmith expected 16.8. Ive had brews both high and low, hence not sure if its just the grain or something I'm doing differently or if i just need to get beersmith dialed in better. I had 5L boil off rate specified today but I calculated it was 3.15L using 2100W.

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20180915_155507013-1560x2080.jpg
    IMG_20180915_155507013-1560x2080.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20180915_155613214-1248x1664.jpg
    IMG_20180915_155613214-1248x1664.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Leyther. I realise I didn't have the middle section. I was only using the long piece by itself because I was doing a smaller batch for my first run and so that was the problem.
Turns out my gravity reading was wrong, a dodgy refractometer I think. When I re did it the reading was fine so all good there. The brew is in the fermenter and everything else went pretty well.
I had a good rolling boil going at 2100W and my boil off rate was 4L/hr.

My one final question then from my brew today - I used the included hop spider for all hop additions however, it appears that my pump is blocked. It was working fine and now when I switch it on and I hear/feel the pump going but nothing is coming out the recirc arm. I assume it's blocked? If so, it's a bit annoying given I used the included hop spider. I've washed out the unit but it's still blocked.
How do I unblock it?

Actually...I managed to unblock it.
I have a small 2m hose setup so I can connect it to the tap and clean the unit. I set hose spout onto 'Jet' setting and aimed the water directly down into the hole at the bottom and water spurted out of the recirc pipe and a small amount of fine hop matter suddenly appeared and the pump now works.
It was a very small amount of fine hop matter, the pump seems very temperamental if this is all it takes to block it.
What do others do to stop this happening as you can't block the hole leading down to the pump?

Ok there's a small single thread bit (shorter than the others I think) it goes below the bottom and screws onto the pipe 2 thread connector. Tighten it up well (like I didn't)
Then you have amother connector for the second pipe part and the top bit which is smooth halfway internally.

Sorry, doing a back to back atm so can't post pics to help.

I have a small 2m hose setup so I can connect it to the tap and clean the unit. I set hose spout onto 'Jet' setting and aimed the water directly down into the hole at the bottom and water spurted out of the recirc pipe and a small amount of fine hop matter suddenly appeared and the pump now works.
It was a very small amount of fine hop matter, the pump seems very temperamental if this is all it takes to block it.
What do others do to stop this happening as you can't block the hole leading down to the pump?

Err you did make sure the valve was open? No pumping issues for me on 2 brews so far. I was actually surprised how well it worked,
Had lots of break and gunk in the unit but it handled it ok.

edit: my gravity was spot on to my usual BIAB method.
I did factor in a 5l sparge as I usually do.

Does anyone know how long the "introductory" special will be on for? Cant see any mention of the reduced price on their website

Does anyone know how long the "introductory" special will be on for? Cant see any mention of the reduced price on their website
Its finished.
There is a filter but I would advise against this, if you had the helix it would solve a few of the problems you have had, no hop spider needed, lift your grain up to sparge and tip in your FWH in the space between the the grain pipe and main body. Do not run the pump during the boil, just in case you have, I have done numerous brews and never had a blocked pump.

Yes, I did have the valve open, it's not beyond me but yes, I did!
I've checked again on the memory function and it does not work.
I've followed the instructions and the recipe defaults to the standard 2400W, 60min, 67C.
If I change it to say 2400W, 59min,67C and then press Manual for 5s as stated then go back in and follow the instructions to recall this recipe it just defaults back to 2400W,60min,67C.
So it's either:
1. Me not able to follow simple instructions (quite possible)
2. The instructions are incorrect
3. Problem with the unit

Options 1 and 2 could be ruled in or out by someone else trying it out.
Whoever has this Guten Keg King, could you give it a try please and let me know if it works for you?

Thanks

ok thanks, looks like it's on the back burner then. Do they have specials or sales on frequently?

I'm not as sold, especially given the actual cost was closer to 400 before keg king doubled the price

Its finished.

There is a filter but I would advise against this, if you had the helix it would solve a few of the problems you have had, no hop spider needed, lift your grain up to sparge and tip in your FWH in the space between the the grain pipe and main body. Do not run the pump during the boil, just in case you have, I have done numerous brews and never had a blocked pump.

The helix setup you have, I don't see how that stops the hop matter from falling down the hole at the bottom leading to the pump and therefore blocking it?

I'm not as sold, especially given the actual cost was closer to 400 before keg king doubled the price
There are quite a few who bought pre KK and paid over $500, I would think most would still consider that price to be value for money. In all honesty and any bias aside it is a quality build.
Imake when they released the Grainfather were in a unique position, the closest single vessel on the market was the BM at around $2500 so they were able to slap a huge markup on the Grainfather which wouldn't have landed for any more than what the Guten landed for.
Have a look around do some research and see where the value for money is now, you wouldn't have to look any further than this thread.
The helix setup you have, I don't see how that stops the hop matter from falling down the hole at the bottom leading to the pump and therefore blocking it?
That is why I asked if you had the pump running during the boil, as I said I have never had a pump block, I do the same as you when I clean up afterwards, put the hose on jet and blast water down the intake to clear any debris in the pump. Once the mash is finished the pump doesn't get switched on again until the clean up with perborate prior to the next brew.

I did switch the pump on when I had the immersion chiller in after the temp had dropped to about 75. I thought the recirculation would help speed up the chill. That was when the pump wouldn't work and was blocked.
I noticed in old posts you sourced the helix - where can I get one from if I decide to go that way?

Save me trawling through all these pages; what's the situation with the switch on the Guten? I recall mention of it being dodgy or needing replacement?

Latest posts

Back