GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a pretty pointless comparison, really. In actual use, you have the weight of both the water and grain pushing down on the screen, which then keeps it stable. The reality of usage is completely different to him holding the thing up on its side
My comment was based on the flimsiness of the entire unit, nothing to do with any contrived sideways mashing.

Nope, the way that he has it in is right. If you have it in the other way, when the weight of the grain pushes down the middle of the screen it can cause the edges to lift, which can theoretically cause the screen to fall out of the bottom of the malt pipe. The way that he has it, the weight of the grain pushing down on the screen will make it spread outwards further and keep it nicely wedged in the malt pipe.

I've been using my 50lt guten for 18 months now with the bottom screen the other way around from what he is showing and have not once had any grain come through or the bottom screen deform and push through. I've done 7, 8, 9 and 10kg grain batches and it has never looked like it would push through with the weigh of the grain.

My model was purchased before any of the local homebrew shops imported them, so maybe the model specs changed from when i bought to now.

cheers
steve

My comment was based on the flimsiness of the entire unit, nothing to do with any contrived sideways mashing.
I looked at that video and it was pretty obvious where the sympathies lay. Good way to destroy a product reputation though.

I've been using my 50lt guten for 18 months now with the bottom screen the other way around from what he is showing and have not once had any grain come through or the bottom screen deform and push through. I've done 7, 8, 9 and 10kg grain batches and it has never looked like it would push through with the weigh of the grain.

My model was purchased before any of the local homebrew shops imported them, so maybe the model specs changed from when i bought to now.

cheers
steve

You'll note the word "theoretically" in my post. I'm not saying that it will, I'm saying that it could

I think that you'll find that the entire unit is quite robust (especially the circuit board, which is significantly better quality than the RB). Besides the thinner plates inside the malt pipe, exactly what other things in the video were comparatively flimsy?

I will agree the malt pipe is a thinner gauge, doesn't have any effect on performance, Robo Brew 1,2, and 3 were all heavier gauge than the Guten pity the circuit boards weren't up to the job, mine is over 2 years old now and has done more brews than most. The Brewzilla is new and with 3 elements, best wait 2 years before doing any crowing. 'The proof of the pudding is in the eating'

Last edited:
Thank you Weal for using the correct phrase for “the pudding” Every time someone on tv says it they stuff it up. “The proof is in the pudding” aaagghhh. Sorry folks, completely off topic and rant over.

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to be posting this. My lovely wife just gifted to me a 40L guten :D, a very happy man I am. However I have bumped into an issue, I can not for the life of me work out how to save a program. I fiddled with the guten this evening to clean it out, familiarise myself with it and get ready for a brew next weekend after I get all the ingredients. I think I've managed to set the temperature correctly (+2.3C for the C1 value) for Canberra so that the controller will recognise that the liquid is boiling (prior to setting that, it the boil countdown would not kick off) ; No idea what the C2 is used for so left it alone.

The issue I have though is successfully saving a recipie. I go through the process of holding down POWER + TIMER for 5 seconds, selecting a recipie slot, programming it all out. Then I hold down the MANUAL/PAUSE button for 5 seconds (and then when I release it, a noise happens). However if I power the machine off, or next time I select that recipie slot everything is back to factory defaults. I am pretty sure that I am misinterpreting something in the manual, and was hoping someone with a little more experience might be able to point me in the right direction to save a recipie.

M

Follow up - I think I've worked it out (found some other instructions for one of the US branded variants of this device).

The key was
1) Program the brew and hit Auto at the end, until the default "Blank" (temperature only) screen is displaying.
2) Hit the Manual/Pause button
3) Press the Manual/Pause button (a series of musical chime tones will sound).

The recipie should be saved over power cycles.

Last edited:
I would check the temp against a scientific thermometer. Mine was out by a degree to begin with and that's at sea level.
Enjoy the brew equipment!!!

Today I think I pushed the 50L Guten to its limit.
I attempted this recipe "Bell's Two Hearted IPA" but scaled up for the Guten 50L.
The grain bill totalled 13.48kg into 35 litres mash.
I ended up only getting 12.7kg into the 35 litres, probably next time try the 13.48 into 30L.
Anyway here a few pictures.

This is the mash with about 12kg grain into the 35 Litres of water. pump is off.

20190319_130412.jpg

Full 12.7kg grain is in, but without top plate.
Pump is on slightly.
Note the lifting holes are now submerged!
20190319_130943.jpg

Now I stop the pump, and the lifting holes become visible.
But because the end of the return pipe is submerged, you dont know if its flowing.
I want to put the top filter screen on, but I cant because its still too high.
20190319_130950.jpg

So, I take out about 4 litres via the pump (i later return the wort), so that I can unscrew the top malt pip connector in order to slide on the top filter screen.
I connect a silicone tube to the return pipe, so I can monitor the flow rate.
Now the top screen is on and there is a flow rate, and the wort is not exiting via the lifting holes - just.

20190319_132659.jpg

Im not going to stand there all day holding the silicone hose, so I stick it in the lid hole so that it doesnt fall out of the pot.
Also, I can monitor and adjust the flow rate.

20190319_133052.jpg

My Conclusion.

Thats about the limit of the 50L Guten.
After sparge I ended up with 45 litres, and after boil about 42L. SG was 1.060 target was 1.068.

Reg Holt suggested the all thread going across the malt pipe blocking the holes and also providing a handle for lifting. Not only that if you leave enough thread on the out side of the holes it means you can lift the malt pipe that bit higher, resting the protruding thread on the wire rim. Boil off should be about 5 litres per hour, did you measure the remaining wort while still hot, or after cooling?
001.JPG This is what I did with the Brau Wolf but the supporting bracket is triangular so it didn't work.

@krz do you have the gravity reading from the 35lt mash? Just out of curiosity

Ok guys I’m about to modify your idea about the lifting holes in the malt pipe
I’ve got 2 x 1/2” bolts & nuts (the bolts are 40mm long) the bolts will be put through the malt pipe from the outside leaving the bolt head on the outside of the malt pipe. This will allow the malt pipe to sit as normal in the Guten. Or the malt pie can be lifted and turned to allow the bolt heads to rest on the wire thus raising the malt pipe
I’m also going to make spring loaded lifting handle which will have a pipe welded to the ends of the lifting handle (the advantage of being able to weld stainless steel). These pipes will then slip over the bolt ends allowing the malt pipe to be lifted (I’m also going to make a small gantry crane for this)
By doing it this way you are not putting a bar or all thread across the overflow pipe
I’ll post pictures once I have it completed

It's (3/8")10 mm bolts for the holes in the malt pipe. It does seem like the overflow pipe is in the way but it moves over easily. I would never use original design of suspending the malt pipe, two or three times it ended up dropping through when I was doughing in, and its a devil to get back out.

Found this on Facebook. I’m surprised he hasn’t sold it yet
If anyone’s looking for one.....
upload_2019-3-21_8-40-58.png

Reg Holt suggested the all thread going across the malt pipe blocking the holes and also providing a handle for lifting. Not only that if you leave enough thread on the out side of the holes it means you can lift the malt pipe that bit higher, resting the protruding thread on the wire rim. Boil off should be about 5 litres per hour, did you measure the remaining wort while still hot, or after cooling?
View attachment 115307 This is what I did with the Brau Wolf but the supporting bracket is triangular so it didn't work.

I saw some photos from you with the threaded bar across.
I thinks thats a worthwhile mod, for me, just to get the extra 1 - 2 litres in.

I lost close top 5 litres during the boil, maybe 4 and I measures the wort cool, I took a sample, cooled it, then measured in the refractometer.

@krz do you have the gravity reading from the 35lt mash? Just out of curiosity
Yes I have but it didnt make lot of sense this time.

It was 1.046 pre boil, after sparge.
It was 1.060 post boil.

Another question, how the hell did you lift it? It took me three goes to lift almost 12 kg of wet grain from the mash tun, maybe I should have put it on the deck.

I didnt find it that hard to lift it.
When I first got the guten I was a bit paranoid about the lifting soaked grain, luckily Aldi had a special buy on and I bought a 1-2 Ton block and tackle.
I used the block and tackle for 2 brews, after that it sat in the cupboard gathering dust with a number of other things I have bought.
Even with 12.5kg soaked grain, I can lift it. Its a little scary with that dodgy lifting handle. Maybe, one day I'll drop it, but not yet.

Back