GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I might try a paste of calcium carbonate.
From memory, my last mash was ramping at 800W between steps and a final step at 2000W to boil.
Still think a lot of my issues are from grain matter in the boil, so hopefully, I solve that with the silicone and I solve the wort scorching.
Would love to see a low-density coil element on the V2 though. I remember having the exact same issues ages ago when I would BIAB in a 40lt concealed element urn. Im having flashbacks >.<

Well, there you go. Got spares hanging in my shed and never thought to try them, though I have never really had trouble with anything getting past the screen like some seem to have.

Another thing I noticed on my last brew day was I reduced the wattage to 1800w during the mash cycle and never got any scorch marks.

1600W keeps the Guten 50L steady at 65C
(well yesterday it 35C in Melbourne, so that helped)

While I don't use any steps in the step mash program, I do use different watts towards each step, good to know it can go as low as 1000 w for the mash. Anyone else have trouble with scorching like lespaul?
I am about to do my third brew on the Guten and did have scorch marks over the element at 2000 w dropped the wattage for the second brew to 1500 w.

35L clean Guten.JPG

After about 50 brews with my 35L (now called) Guten, I have no issues with scorching and I use full power 2500w all the time, no staining either. Use Tricleanium with hot water and a few drops of detergent for all stainless and general cleaning, let it soak for a bit, works a treat!

Last edited:
Never heard of Tricleanium. What strength do you mix it up to? Any reason you use that, over say, Sodium Percarbonate?

+1 to the Brau seal, fits like a glove!!! When I got it, it didn't fit but after wetting the malt pipe it slid down nice and snug.
Sounds like the overall problem with scorching is most likely grain particles in the boil. Hopefully with this seal it won't be an issue.

It is Trisodium Phosphate (TSP), an old product and has many uses around the home, look it up on wikipedia. You can find it at Bunnings in the paint section right next to the sugar soap. Perfect for stainless as the neutralized phosphoric acid helps to "pickle" the metal and great for squeaky clean drinking glasses too! But it is NOT a sanitizer!
I use Sodium Percarbonate as a sanitizer and TSP as a cleaner. Strength? up to you, I use a lid full (1/4 cup) in bucket of hot water (reclaimed from cooling the wort) for all the clean up after brew day session, clean as I go. I also keep some in a squirty spray bottle near the sink when I clean my beer glass after use.
Tricleanium MDS-short version.jpg Tricleanium product .jpg

Last edited:
Wow... no way I would buy a Guten after watching that video. Thanks for posting.

I’ve got a Guten 50l and a robo v2. Never had any issues with grain in the boil with either of them. I am mindful of the movement in the Guten though and take extra care when pouring grain in, stirring etc

I am about to do my 5th brew on the Guten have found it to perform exceptionally well, never had any grain escape the mash tun, and also have peace of mind of that the Guten comes with a 2 year warranty.

I like this guy's youtube channel, I have a guten and regulate the flow when mashing so overflow doesn't worry me and I watch all the while Im brewing. A few stray grains I am not worried about though as if I get 10g of grain in a mash out of a 5Kg grain bill I can live with that, and I guess if I ever want to mash sideways I better buy a Brewzilla.

Last edited:
I got a 40 liter Guten second hand, still under warranty. Now I understand why the guy I got it off got rid of it, he upgraded to the 50 liter Guten, and that's where I am at now wish I had waited for the bigger unit.:( Whats the warranty on the Brewzilla?

Wow... no way I would buy a Guten after watching that video. Thanks for posting.
I watched that video as well, I like his channel and have respect for him.

I think what he compared he did well, I like the lifting tabs on the brewzilla.
The screen I dont give a shit about, I have a guten 50L and have had no problems whatsoever. (btw nor with the lifting tabs).
The malt pipe on the guten is good enough for me. That is wobbles is no surprise, its made up of 6 pieces all threaded together, of course it would wobble.
If I had an adjustable malt pipe, I doubt I would use it, I use about the same amount of grain each time, otherwise my fermenter complains.

Would I like a 65 litres compared to a 50L, yes I would, this is because I have a 66 litre fermenter, and I only get 2 kegs out of each batch, not 3.

Looking forward to the next part where electronics etc are compared./

I think he has the bottom screen up the wrong way, I use my the other way and have never had grain leakage thru it.
Here's a couple of mods I have done to mine that I think improve using it.

1. Handle for the top screen. Drill a hole thru each stub handle post and get stainless wire ( I used a TIG rod) and bend it to the required shape with hands or pliers, thread the drilled stub posts on the ends before you do the last bends on the outsides, then screw them back onto the screen, it is way better to grab and lift with one hand without getting hot wort on your skin.
top screen handle.JPG

2.Joined the centre pipe with a spot of weld to make it one length (or get another piece of pipe) so the top screen can slide down as far as you like.
joined pipe .JPG

3. Made up a spring loaded gambrel attached to an overhead rope and pulley to lift up the malt pipe instead of using the clunky handle supplied with the unit. It works really good and can use it with one hand while the other is working the rope.
spring loaded gambrel .JPG

Don't all electrical appliances have a statutory warranty of 3 years or something no matter what the manufacturer warranty is?
Probably some info here https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees
Electrical appliances come under consumer guarantee but it isn't one size fits all, each case will be taken on its own merit. The retailer can offer a warranty on any defective parts which may be incorporated in the said item, in the case of the Guten it is 2 years, certainly makes it easier than having to go through small claims.

I think he has the bottom screen up the wrong way, I use my the other way and have never had grain leakage thru it.

Nope, the way that he has it in is right. If you have it in the other way, when the weight of the grain pushes down the middle of the screen it can cause the edges to lift, which can theoretically cause the screen to fall out of the bottom of the malt pipe. The way that he has it, the weight of the grain pushing down on the screen will make it spread outwards further and keep it nicely wedged in the malt pipe.

Maybe this is the reason why some people keep getting grain in the boil?

It is a pretty pointless comparison, really. In actual use, you have the weight of both the water and grain pushing down on the screen, which then keeps it stable. The reality of usage is completely different to him holding the thing up on its side

Latest posts

Back