Quantcast

GUTEN

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Ballaratguy

Reaction score
I also don’t use the top screen (easier to stir during the mash)
I use a helix coil on the tap so I use the bazooka on the overflow pipe just for insurance
I always seen to get pretty good efficiency
But each to his (or her) own

Cian Doyle

Reaction score
I don't use the top screen, I would be surprised if many do. Just started eliminating the return pipe from the mash tun simply to make it easier to stir. I would advise using the new style bottom screen though, I managed to dislodge the old screen while stirring.:(

soulcash

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Guten 70l is 40,5 cm in diameter, and Brewzilla 65l is 41 cm in diameter. Did somebody try or know if Brewzilla 65l false bottom / pump filter fits Guten 70l?

Thanks!

goatchop41

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Guten 70l is 40,5 cm in diameter, and Brewzilla 65l is 41 cm in diameter. Did somebody try or know if Brewzilla 65l false bottom / pump filter fits Guten 70l?

Thanks!
Several people have done it - it needs to be cut down to size so that it will fit

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise anyone who has just got a SVB to remove the return pipe until they get to know their system, and understand why its there, and to be able to control the flow without using the return pipe. As Ballarat Guy says it is there for insurance, and not to be implemented as part of the brewing process.

golfandbrew

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise anyone who has just got a SVB to remove the return pipe until they get to know their system, and understand why its there, and to be able to control the flow without using the return pipe. As Ballarat Guy says it is there for insurance, and not to be implemented as part of the brewing process.
I think telling a new SVB user to remove the overflow pipe and watch over their mash is much less risky that what many users will do with the return pipe in. I see too many videos and posts where users start their mash then "go make breakfast" or whatever else. Somewhere along the way SVB became this almost set it and forget method. Maybe that's also got something to do with electric brewing. Not sure really. But anything that gives the user the confidence to not to watch what is going on with their brew is far more risky in my opinion.

Reaction score
I think telling a new SVB user to remove the overflow pipe and watch over their mash is much less risky that what many users will do with the return pipe in. I see too many videos and posts where users start their mash then "go make breakfast" or whatever else. Somewhere along the way SVB became this almost set it and forget method. Maybe that's also got something to do with electric brewing. Not sure really. But anything that gives the user the confidence to not to watch what is going on with their brew is far more risky in my opinion.
Probably comes from the BM which doesn't really leave anything for the brewer to do during the mash. But I do think it is better for a new user to understand why the overflow pipe is there. I still had mine in an stirred until I realised I was installing something each brew day which would never fulfill its purpose.

kadmium

Reaction score
Expected in on the 21st of this month.
Any update on a false bottom for Gutens? I just bought a MK II pump to try and alleviate my whirpooling issues but a false bottom to keep hops and trub away would be great. Just a simple SS mesh with some legs on it. Nothing fancy.

Latest posts