Guinness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Hey guys over the weekend SWMBO bought me a couple of 4-packs of Guiness, after the first couple of mouthfulls I realised that it was quite a different beer to what I remember it being, it was much better, it didn't have that sharp acrid bitterness that it had. I also got a fair whack of olives in the aroma, and mouthfeel was a hell of alot smoother/creamier. So I go to the fridge and grab a 4-pack out and low & behold, brewed in Dublin, imported by such & such bla bla bla. If I can keep getting this stuff I'll be hooked back onto the mighty black. So is it BUL in Aus at all anymore? Have I just gotten lucky with these imports? Oh, I got them at Coles so check em' out if you care to.

Unsure if Guinness is BUL anymore. Check the pack for all the address details and you should see some info that will give you a clue.

Spoke to an Irish guy about Guinness (who is also a homebrewer) and he said one of the unique things about Guinness is the light 'sour' taste that you will find in this beer and nowhere else. There is plenty of debate on how to acheive the trademark 'sour'. Some clone recipes suggest taking some wort from your batch, leaving out oxidising/souring it and reintroducing it, others suggest adding a lambic strain to a small amount of wort, then mixing it later with the beer. The recipe below I found is a simpler method and less dangerous I think though - by using a small addition of Acid Malt. The recipe I have never tried myself - but thought I'd put it out there.

Personally I find Guinness lighter tasting than a Murphys or Beamish but still find time to enjoy it. It certainly is quite sessionable compared to the heavier 'blacks'. The sort of beer that is drinkable even when it's hot.

Cheers, :icon_cheers:

Hopper

_________

Guinness Extra Stout
IBU 40

2.7kg English Pale Malt (Marris Otter)
230g Oat hulls
340g Roasted Barley
113g Medium Crystal (Joe White Crystal)
113g Flaked barley
85g Acid (Sauer) malt (for Guinness Sourness)

Target 20.5g 8.5%AA (90 mins)
East Kent Goldings 10g 5%AA (90 mins)

Mash procedure:
90 mins at 65.5oC

Yeast:
1st choice: Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast (20-22oC)
2nd choice: Wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast (20-22oC)

The Extra Stout is still BUL. Not sure to be honest. I like the Extra Stout the most though.

The Guinness Draught cans are fully imported, atleast the last few cans ive had have been.

Personally I find Guinness lighter tasting than a Murphys or Beamish but still find time to enjoy it. It certainly is quite sessionable compared to the heavier 'blacks'. The sort of beer that is drinkable even when it's hot.
Been years since I tried a Murphys or Beamish, but I find guinness easy to drink lately. (Obviously hb'ing tastebuds)
Enjoyed a can outside in the sun on Saturday arvo. Damn it was good, not too heavy for a warm day :chug:

Still BUL but some imports are arriving on our shores also. Draught Guinness on tap brewed in Dublin is a completely different beer to what we get here. Even the Dublin brewed cans are far inferior to the real stuff.

Still BUL but some imports are arriving on our shores also. Draught Guinness on tap brewed in Dublin is a completely different beer to what we get here. Even the Dublin brewed cans are far inferior to the real stuff.

Agree. Although the St James' Gate cans are a great indicator of what real Guinness is like. It has to be the worlds most sessionable stout. :)

and the foreign extra stout is fantastic when you can get it.

AFAIK there's nothing new here - the cans have always been imported and the stuff in longnecks and on nitrotap is made by CUB supposedly based on some extract they get from dublin originally. the aussie guinness is revolting IMO....

HB79

funnily enough this came up the other week. check out the discussion in this thread

edit: the guinness foreign extra is something CUB do expecially for Australia. its not a BUL as its a unique recipe/beer etc.

Hey guys over the weekend SWMBO bought me a couple of 4-packs of Guiness, after the first couple of mouthfulls I realised that it was quite a different beer to what I remember it being, it was much better, it didn't have that sharp acrid bitterness that it had. I also got a fair whack of olives in the aroma, and mouthfeel was a hell of alot smoother/creamier. So I go to the fridge and grab a 4-pack out and low & behold, brewed in Dublin, imported by such & such bla bla bla. If I can keep getting this stuff I'll be hooked back onto the mighty black. So is it BUL in Aus at all anymore? Have I just gotten lucky with these imports? Oh, I got them at Coles so check em' out if you care to.

In Australia there are three Guinnesses.

1. The cans with the widgets are brewed in Dublin - 4.3 ABV or thereabouts
  2. The keg version in the pub or club is brewed in Australia BUL to resemble the Irish pub version - 4.3 ABV
  3. The bottled FES version is not BUL in the sense that , as with Nigerian Guinness or Caribbean Guinness etc is a regional Foreign special. Brewed in Aus and not available in Dublin. 6% ABV and a noice drop. It has a 'sour' twang because a portion is soured with a brett-type yeast.

lol, yeah me too. however guiness on tap kicks ar$e over the cans

cheers
matt

I remember my first pint of Guiness. It was in a Paddy pub in London not far from Victoria station.
In Oz i'd only ever drank XXXX or VB, hey this was 20 years ago (well once i had a southwark ) :icon_vomit:
Although very well lagered up I was told I had to leave 7 rings on the glass for the 7 seas which I did, and Just made it to the trough for a nose stinging projectile yawn. Aaahh the good old days!

In Australia there are three Guinnesses.

1. The cans with the widgets are brewed in Dublin - 4.3 ABV or thereabouts
  2. The keg version in the pub or club is brewed in Australia BUL to resemble the Irish pub version - 4.3 ABV
  3. The bottled FES version is not BUL in the sense that , as with Nigerian Guinness or Caribbean Guinness etc is a regional Foreign special. Brewed in Aus and not available in Dublin. 6% ABV and a noice drop. It has a 'sour' twang because a portion is soured with a brett-type yeast.

As you say FES is a different version depending on the country and brewery. FES is also now brewed in Dublin because of the number of Africans in UK and Ireland who want the Guinness like they had at home. I had a tasting at the Brewery in 2005 where we had all the different Guinness brewed there. Each 6 months they brew and have available besides the normal Extra Stout a slightly different brew in the Brewhouse series. 2005 it was "Brew 39", in 2006 it was "North Star".

DSCF1231.JPG

GuinnessFES.jpg

[*]The bottled FES version is not BUL in the sense that , as with Nigerian Guinness or Caribbean Guinness etc is a regional Foreign special. Brewed in Aus and not available in Dublin. 6% ABV and a noice drop. It has a 'sour' twang because a portion is soured with a brett-type yeast.
are you sure of that bribieG? i would believe it for the imported foreign extra, but the CUB stuff? perhaps thirstyboy could confirm...

a nose stinging projectile yawn.
Lol! I'll have to remember that one.

Have to say I don't mind some pub's Guinness, like Mick O'Mally's in Brisbane always seems to have fresh, good-tasting pints when I stop in.
The only bottle of Guinness I have here at the house is the 25o Anniversary stout, 5% and brewed at St James Gate and imported by Diageo Australia.
Good stuff this.

Bribie is correct

440 cans are imported and always have been
Draught is BUL out of Yatala
FES is brewed as a "local" version, also out of Yatala - it is good. Although, while I don't know.... I seriously doubt that the Yatala brewery lets any Brett anywhere near any of their plant.... I'd say that the sour comes from something else.

FES is brewed as a "local" version, also out of Yatala - it is good. Although, while I don't know.... I seriously doubt that the Yatala brewery lets any Brett anywhere near any of their plant.... I'd say that the sour comes from something else.
In a book about stout that i have at home, oddly enough entitled "Stout" by Dr Michael Lewis, he stated that that the soured portion was brewed in Dublin and exported to foreign breweries who mixed it with their locally brewed Guiness - this was called Guiness Flavour Extract from memory (don't have the book at work with me). The book was published circa 1995 so this may be 15 years out of date.

This is true for the BUL version of the beer - not the local version as far as I am aware.

How good is Stout by the way. Bloody awesome drink.

Next time you're hungover have a Guinness with your bacon and eggs. I did it one day for a laugh with my brother and it was actually awesome. Breakfast of champions.

This is true for the BUL version of the beer - not the local version as far as I am aware.

From Bill Yenne's "Guinness the 250-year Quest fro the Perfect Pint":

"virtually all the malt
for all of the Guinness worldwide is roasted here. All the malt for
the brewing at St. James,s Gare is roasted here, as well as much
of the rnalt that goes into Guinness Flavor Extract for Guinness
brewed abroad. The rest of the roasting for the latter takes place at
the Guinness plant in Waterford.
"Essentially, anything with any color comes from here,,, Fergal
Murray explains, proudly pointing up at the huge roasters."

Back