Guide To Keg Forced Carbonation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh i did i let some air out of the keg.
i left it like that for 5 mins before attmepting first pour.
the gas was normal between 50-75kpi and the other gauge was 1 bar.
is there any way to under carb the beer?
its a muntons scotch ale!!

Parko

its over carbed. did you barp the keg befor you poured some beer? how long did you leave the gas on and at what pressure???

you mean psi??? what pressure did you force carb at? and how long did you force carb for?

ok i attached all the ball locks....put the co2 at 200kpi for 5 mins
while rocking back n forth.then at 300kpi for 30seconds. then let
the keg sit in the fridge for 2 days then as ive written in the posts before
thats what ive done today.
by the sounds its over carbed and cant be rescued.

I hope so though

Parko

ok i attached all the ball locks....put the co2 at 200kpi for 5 mins
while rocking back n forth.then at 300kpi for 30seconds. then let
the keg sit in the fridge for 2 days then as ive written in the posts before
thats what ive done today.
by the sounds its over carbed and cant be rescued.

I hope so though

Parko
Never fear ... your beer will be able to be rescued.
If it its over carbonated, disconnect the gas from the keg.
Burp the keg (release all the the gas by pulling open the pressure relief valve).
Let the keg sit = hours or even a day.
Test again = try to pour another beer.
If still overcarbed repeat.

awesome Michael aussie will try it right now....as im on holidays
its all the more better to try and work out these things while I have
time.

Cheers to the audience of aussiehomebrewer.com

when my first proper pour from my keg happens...i cheers you

Parko

to force carb search "ross method" I think its best to carb at serving pressure by connecting to the beer out and rocking for 15mins you cannot over carb it that way

A good way I find to sort an over shook keg is:

Disconnect gas all together.

serve a heady beer.

Then keep pouring until the keg cannot serve anymore.

Tomorrow, repeat.

2c.

Does anyone have the issue of the beer pouring to quickly?
Because i get beer but its only 1/4 of the glass. If it happens
again tomorrow i'll take a photo and post.
If i try and half pour its all head......

Parko

to force carb search "ross method" I think its best to carb at serving pressure by connecting to the beer out and rocking for 15mins you cannot over carb it that way

Just go back to Post 1 in this thread... :p

Even though this will still take a while but here is a quicker way to "de-gas" your keg:

Burb the keg
Shake shit out of it
Let it sit for around 10 minutes or so and repeat.

I'm in a little bit of a dilema. I put a brew of Kriek in last week which is due to be done fermenting on wednesday next week. The wife is having a get together on Sunday and is wanting me to put my beer on tap on my newly untested kegerator.

I've checked out all of the gear with water but I'm going to need to force carb the been to be ready in time.

Am I correct in understanding that the Ross method you connect the gas to the OUT connection on the keg? If this is the case then when pressure is applied wouldn't the beer fill into the reg? (gas applying pressure on top of the liquid)

Am I correct in understanding that the Ross method you connect the gas to the OUT connection on the keg? If this is the case then when pressure is applied wouldn't the beer fill into the reg? (gas applying pressure on top of the liquid)
Mate...
What you do is have a "beer -out " ball valve connected to your gas line( disconect your tap)...provided your keg is cold ( in which case any gas you put into the keg , when you filled the keg from your fermenter, would have semi dissolved into the beer..so your keg is actuallty now holding less gas pressure than what your about to put in), attachch the appropriate ball valve to the beer out.This dip tube goes alway the way to the bottom of the keg.It makes the gas come up through the beer , instead of being put in via the normal gas in tube.Follow the Ross method , as suggested.
When you need to serve , swap your ball valves back to the appropriate lines ( that is put the beer out ball valve back to your tap/pluto line and put your gas line ball vale back onto your gas line)
As long as you are putting in a greater amount of gas volume into the keg , than the pressure you already have in it , you won't keg beer back up the line , into the keg.Beer won't come up the dip tube and into the line as long as gas in flowinhg into the keg !
Hope this helps !
Ferg
( who really should go to bed and stop drinking this saison)

I am not sure if I am on my own here but I wind my CO2 out to about 250 - 300 and hit it through the out post wait til the bubbling stops and remove the gas line .. let it sit for a day or two and then the gas seems to be just right to put the pouring pressure of 80 - 100 and life is good..

Am I creating a time bomb by doing this ??

This is the method I have used for past 8-9 kegs with out issue ..

Guys,

Need some help here I think I am going loopy. I always have my reg set to 80 Kpa forserving. I noticed it creeping up past100 Kpa the other day. I kept bringingit back to 60 Kpa but after several hours it would keep climbing past 90 Kpa. After days of trying to adjust it, I gave upand connected a new cylinder.

The new cylinder sat bang on 80Kpa for several days with noissue. For an experiment I re connectedthe old cylinder and behold after a few hours it climbed to 100kpa again

Can anyone tell my why a near empty cylinder is pushing outmore pressure than a new one?

Both are 2.x Kg units from brewcraft, and both live outsideof the fridge (unit in question used to be inside the fridge)

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Guys

Just a quick question regarding forced carbonation. Once you have gassed the keg and it says to leave for an hour, is it ok to leave in fridge or does it have stay at room temp??
Sorry for the dumb newbie question and thanks in advance.

Hey

I tried the 40psi/275kpa (can't do 45psi as my reg does strange things above 42psi) and rocking for 50 seconds method - but when I turn the regulator off, the pressure settles back to about 28-30psi/190-205kpa.

I thought 'OH CRAP I've over carbonated the beer!' but when let the keg sit for an hour I released the pressure and tested the beer by pouring it into a glass and it's only slightly carbonated.

I really want to get this 'fast carbonating' method down packed - as I don't really want to have to wait for over a week for each batch to carb up.

Any pointers?

Hunt

Im still learning myself, but I've cut the rocking back to about 40secs. I'd rather have under carbed then over. Over a couple of days it balances out anyways, I'm sure yours will at some point

Latest posts

Back