Guide To Keg Forced Carbonation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a harris too. I understand your drama. You do know how to convert it

Any tips on kegging a brew and storing it for a later date, i only have a small fridge in my shed which can only hold one keg, i have only started kegging recently, so would like to know if storing is possible

Any tips on kegging a brew and storing it for a later date, i only have a small fridge in my shed which can only hold one keg, i have only started kegging recently, so would like to know if storing is possible

Sure is possible. You have a few options if storing

- Natural Carbonation, just like in bottle you prime keg with "sugar" (dextrose usually) and let it go through secondary fermentation during storage. When you are ready to drink it (atleast 2 weeks later to allow for the secondary ferment) then it will be carbonated and ready to get cold.

- Forced carbonation - you can do this either prior to or after storage, you will have to chill the keg to make life easier for force carbonation. If you plan on carbonating afterwards you should "burp" the keg with CO2 before storing to get rid of any left over oxygen in the keg which will oxidise your beer and make it go off.

My recommendation is that if you are planning on storing multiple kegs, so you can basically rotate them is to rack to the keg from your fermenter, prime and store. That way it will carbonate itself in the mean time and will be ready to rock and roll when you need it (given you can wait a couple/few weeks).

Allowing your beer to "age" for atleast a month or so will in general (very big generalisation here) make it taste better anyway.

Hope this helps.

Pok

Sure is possible. You have a few options if storing

- Natural Carbonation, just like in bottle you prime keg with "sugar" (dextrose usually) and let it go through secondary fermentation during storage. When you are ready to drink it (atleast 2 weeks later to allow for the secondary ferment) then it will be carbonated and ready to get cold.

- Forced carbonation - you can do this either prior to or after storage, you will have to chill the keg to make life easier for force carbonation. If you plan on carbonating afterwards you should "burp" the keg with CO2 before storing to get rid of any left over oxygen in the keg which will oxidise your beer and make it go off.

My recommendation is that if you are planning on storing multiple kegs, so you can basically rotate them is to rack to the keg from your fermenter, prime and store. That way it will carbonate itself in the mean time and will be ready to rock and roll when you need it (given you can wait a couple/few weeks).

Allowing your beer to "age" for atleast a month or so will in general (very big generalisation here) make it taste better anyway.

Hope this helps.

Pok

Whats your tips on fixing Flat beer from keg?

Why does everyone talk in kpa pressure instead of PSI or Bar.....am I the only forum member with a Harris
CO2 regulator which registers in PSI or Bar ?
Australians use the metric system S.I units. I don't get people who use imperial like lb's, PSI inches etc to bloody confusing! specific gravity of water is 1 (about close enough) 1 litter of water weighs 1 kg. Barometric pressure of atmosphere is 1 bar (close enough) is that not easier i say?

That milling machine I used to use was in thousandth of an inch increments bloody pain in the ass! You can have you psi.

Will this method work using the same pressure and same rocking times if I am force carbonating a 9L mini corny keg?

I would say the same method would work but instead of shaking it for 50 seconds do it for 25 secs since its half the amount otherwise you will over carb it.

i am finding i over carb by forcing, but i do shake and roll a bit longer than the norm.

to fix i a pour a few beers in a night with no gas "on" and let it push itself out.
carb level drops and the next day or so it comes good :)

I would say the same method would work but instead of shaking it for 50 seconds do it for 25 secs since its half the amount otherwise you will over carb it.
Thanks for the inpur - I took your advoce. I just gave it a wack and shook for 22 seconds... pressure ended up dropping too low so did it again for 10 seconds... pressure ended up resting at about 20 psi so I figure I'll leave it there and slow carb it the rest of the way... I've got 6 days before I need it ready for drinking. Note that I could only get the pressure up to 42 psi.

Hi All,

Created a new topic but really should have just posted here....apolagies. Mods can delete my other topic if they wish.

I recently setup a new keg setup and am completely puzzled on trying to get the correct carbonation.

I am after a carbonation volume of about 2.5-3....something similar to your commercial Australian Lagers would be best (i believe this is about 2.5??)

If I wanted to achieve consistent results everytime what is the best method to achieve my carbonation volume over a day or two? I did read that you can hook up the keg and then set the reg at 30-40 PSI for 2 days but wasn't sure what carbonation level this would give me.

If I wanted to go the slower method for carbonation should I hook up the keg to the correct PSI (as per the carbonation table) for 7 days and then back it off to pouring pressure?

My keg is also sitting at roughly 2-3C in the keg fridge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam.

Quick question,
Just done this method as described and pressure dropped to 160 so all looking good.
But now i have beer flowed into the gas lines and possible into the regulator.
Can i take the disconnect off the keg while i am waiting the hour to clean the lines and check the regulator?

How long should i leave my keg at 150kpa for carbonating for its at 3 degress i read about 48hrs is this correct?

Hi all,
Is there any correlation between the final gravity of a beer and and the absorbsion of co2 into said beer?
I've just kegged a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast clone which had an fg of 1.026 due to all the oats in the mash.
Force carbed it as I normally do, which is the Ross method and then rocking for a further 5 to 10 minutes at serving pressure just in case it fell short. I poured my first beer, and it's flat. Almost no fizz.
Is it just the case of I need to crank it up for longer whilst rocking the keg?

Cheers

Hi all,
Is there any correlation between the final gravity of a beer and and the absorbsion of co2 into said beer?
I've just kegged a Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast clone which had an fg of 1.026 due to all the oats in the mash.
Force carbed it as I normally do, which is the Ross method and then rocking for a further 5 to 10 minutes at serving pressure just in case it fell short. I poured my first beer, and it's flat. Almost no fizz.
Is it just the case of I need to crank it up for longer whilst rocking the keg?

Cheers

I always thought the rocking method only works when you crank the psi up. At serving pressure I would've thought you'd get the same result as you have - flat beer....

Maybe rock it for 5-10 mins at 20-25psi?

Hook up as you would for Ross method. Crank the reg up to 350psi for 15 seconds. No rocking required. Leave for 15 mins, release pressure. Set to serving pressure and enjoy. It will take a few more days to be perfect but you will be drinking carbed beer before you know it.
:beer:

Hook up as you would for Ross method. Crank the reg up to 350psi for 15 seconds. No rocking required. Leave for 15 mins, release pressure. Set to serving pressure and enjoy. It will take a few more days to be perfect but you will be drinking carbed beer before you know it.
:beer:

Ok no worries. Thought that would have been the case.Cheers.

I roll on the floor at 150kpa for 60 seconds, put in the fridge and wait for a few hours.

Connect the gas back up at serving pressure and pour.

Latest posts

Back