Guide To Keg Forced Carbonation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gold! sure you didnt steal that from daves shop? :p

I dont follow ross method. i crank my reg up, balls to the wall and shake the arse out of it, just cos it doesnt take as long and then back it off. You could always just push a crapload more pressure into it to speed it up. either way, the ross method will work. I still do the whole "turn off the tap and watch the reg drop pressure until equilisation." Just keep doing that i suppose.

No, not from Dave although I did offer him more for one of his than I paid!! B)

Yeah, I figured if I drop the pressure by shaking back to where I usually do cant be to far wrong?

Cheers for your thoughts mate, appreciated! :icon_cheers:

Bejeebus Cocko your going all super size me! First the 100lt MT now 45lt kegs. Next ya will be doing 5000lt brews?

Mate I would do as said and she how she blows, it's only a couple of burps and trial and error to get it right, no?

I'm gunna have to put you on my must see list and see if we can dent that sucker one evening?

Cheers

Chappo

HAHA!

Yeah mate, more beer = same amount of work is my current mantra! B)

Used to take me 4 hours to do a 25L BIAB - now takes me 5-6 hours to pull out 88 odd litres... Takes me 20-40 minutes to keg 20 L, so i assume it will take me 20-40 minutes to keg 45L...

Yep, I am sure I will iron it out... looks like I will have to suck it and see, as the priest said as the old saying goes...

The challenge is set mate, name the date and a denting we shall go!! :icon_chickcheers:

Now, gotta run and win that ebay bid on the milk tanker.... new kettle! :lol:

Thanks for your tips chaps!

Step 3 - Connect a liquid disconnect (black) to your gas line. Attach this liquid disconnect to the "out" post of the keg. This will allow you to inject the gas into the keg without having to roll or invert it. I recommend using MFL disconnects to make this step easier. It's a good idea to give the post a quick spray with your favourite no-rinse sanitiser as well beforehand.
Am I thinking about this wrong or is step three on the first page incorrect? Shouldn't it be telling me to put the gas disconnect on the beer out post? Not sure what the beer out line has to do with carbonating?

this means put a liquid disconnect onto your gas line, and attach it to your liquid out post, so that the gas is blowing down through the dip tube....it says to use the liquid disconnect, cos the posts, whilst they look the same, are actually slightly different sizes. Use a gas disconnect, and you'll have fun and joy getting it off again. ;)

this means put a liquid disconnect onto your gas line, and attach it to your liquid out post, so that the gas is blowing down through the dip tube....it says to use the liquid disconnect, cos the posts, whilst they look the same, are actually slightly different sizes. Use a gas disconnect, and you'll have fun and joy getting it off again. ;)

right, gotcha - it never occurred to me to actually have my gas line attached to a liquid disconnect - I think of the gas line and the gas disconnect as the same thing!

Hi I posted this and then realised that I could have added it in this section.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=36167

Basically my way to gas a 19lt post mix keg, quick. No pre-chilling, no rocking, no singing it a lullaby.

Cheers Big ears

Funkym

Hey all

I've got my keg of dopplesticke carbed up nicely now after setting the reg to serving pressure and keeping the keg at 5C. If I now disconnect the gas from that keg will the CO2 stay in solution and the beer continue to pour well? Just seeing if I can save on gas (using a sodastream bottle) for the next keg.

Cheers

ToG

I have been using 70 Kpa for about 2 years now. Sometimes I find my beers a little sweet / rich. I see below that 100Kpa is used. Am I under carbonating for APA's and Australian type ales?

there is a spreadsheet about balancing. But it depends on your temp and beer style, for me 2degrees 2.5 to 2.6 carbonation and 75-80 kpa.

your beer and headspace will (over same time) equalise. So if you pour a couple of litres same co2 will move out of beer into headspace (I thin it takes a while)
Hey all

I've got my keg of dopplesticke carbed up nicely now after setting the reg to serving pressure and keeping the keg at 5C. If I now disconnect the gas from that keg will the CO2 stay in solution and the beer continue to pour well? Just seeing if I can save on gas (using a sodastream bottle) for the next keg.

Cheers

ToG

:drinks:
hey......man ive been doin it the hard way gassing my 19Ltr party keg up to 300Kpa then charging it back up the next day and so on for a week then drinking but this method freakin blew my mind to be honest really pleased i got onto this site and look forward to learning plenty more cheers boys​

I suspect the method documented in this thread should actually be called "Crash Carbonation"

Its basically a way to force carbonate a keg in a very minimal amount of time, me personally, i can't be arsed with all this physical shaking stuff :)

The simple way to force carbonate is to set a keg to 300kpa for 30hrs when its been pre-chilled.

Tada.

I brew in a fridge with hot/cold controller, so about 6+ hours before I intend to keg I just set the controller to 4C or so, and knock the temp down.

The brew rapidly clears, and then I just gravity feed into a C02 purged keg.

Bung the whole thing into the keg fridge and pop the gas on at 300kpa, burping the keg a couple of times before closing the door.

Turn off gas at regulator 30hrs later, release pressure, and turn gas back on at dispensing pressure (circa 80kpa for me)

If I've undercarbed I just set the pressure to 100kpa, and it'll carb up in a few days.

If you over carb at 30hrs, just reduce the amount of time you force carb, say 26 or 28 hrs.

The key is to have a consistent keg temperature when you carb so you get consistent results.

If you're waiting 30 hrs to cool the keg... you might as well wait 30 hrs to carbonate it instead, and cool the beer in the fermenter instead!

Tried google and AHB for ages but cant find the spreadsheet I used to use at the brewery. I'm sure theres a spreadsheet from Wort Games which is in celcius vs pressure. Anyne got it on hand or the location??

Scotty

Tried google and AHB for ages but cant find the spreadsheet I used to use at the brewery. I'm sure theres a spreadsheet from Wort Games which is in celcius vs pressure. Anyne got it on hand or the location??

Scotty
THREAD

Cheers
Nige

its over carbed. did you barp the keg befor you poured some beer? how long did you leave the gas on and at what pressure???

Back