Grand Cru Recipes? Cant seem to find any

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southcoastbrewer

Reaction score
:huh: :huh:

Hey guys, i have a few Grand Cru beers left from Murrays Brewery here in NSW... When i had it off tap, i was quite pissed so couldnt really depict the style... after finishing these few bottle and now feeling the effects pretty much after the second beer (its 8.8%)...

Thought id go and look for "Grand Cru" recipes.... but no one really has a definitive answer on what they should contain.. As i like the murrays one i want to try and replicate it... says on the website its a cross between a golden strong ale Ale and a Belgian trippel... using pacifica hops... To me and according to Beer judge this is just a Belgian tripple.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

A Golden strong ale and a tripel are both very similar in style and almost interchangeable once you get into differences between breweries. I'd be doing a using pilsener malt with about 10-15% dextrose to thin out the body, maybe some melanoiden. I'd reccomend as flavoursome a pils malt as possible, maybe weyermann floor malted bohemain? Mash for a low FG. bitterness should be around 35ibu. i'll let you decide what to do for hopping, looks like murrays dry hops with pacifica.

Grand Cru doesn't really encompass a particular style as such. The term really just means a step up or extra special ( like the murrays). Done on traditional Belgian yeasts, with a big flavour hit.

A Grand Cru could be a traditional style dolled up with some nice big bold hops and a smooth malt character or it could be a wood aged sour beer, but it'd really have to have French/Belgian roots in what goes in to be considered a Grand Cru in context.

Got a couple of recipes kicking around if you want a starting point. Yell if you want them.

( just my 2 worthless cents )

Martin

A couple here. The first is not mine and I haven't brewed it but looks nice.

Second is mine and I've made it a few times. Well received at a Vic case swap. Both based around Hoegaarden grand cru - not sure how similar that is to Murrays as grand cru isn't a style as such (mentioned above). I have found styrians dry hopped too long give a weird flavour so a couple of days only although you might replace some or all of the hopping. Decoction is not out of place in this beer.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1141-gfc-grand-cru/

Type: All grain
Size: 22 liters
Color: 13 HCU (~9 SRM)
Bitterness: 32 IBU
OG: 1.087
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 9.6% v/v (7.6% w/w)
Grain: 6kg Dingeman Pilsner
2kg Wey Munich
300g Briess victory
500g Wheat malt
Mash: 70% efficiency
TEMP: 55/62/68/72/78
TIME: 5/10/50/10/10
Boil: 90 minutes, SG 1.056, 34 liters
Hops: 30g Saaz (5.2% AA, 60 min.)
30g Styrian Goldings (3.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Saaz (5.2% AA, 10 min.)
10g Styrian Goldings (3.5% AA, 10 min.)

2 pack Wy forbidden fruit or suitable starter

CaCl2 and CaSO4 to mash and boil

Dry hop 1g/L styrians

It would be nice to get the recipe for Brooklyn grand cru, that was an awesome burst of bubblegum!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back