grain storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A rat would go right through that.
No they don't. They are a heavier (ABS?) plastic. We live in inner Brisbane where black rats abound - they have chewed through my silicon hoses, chewed through the white plastic bins where we keep the dog food and had "spent grain" fuelled orgies in the compost heap, but not even scratched these black bins! Only use them for high turn over grains though as it's harder to keep the bugs out.

Don't you believe it. I've seen solid oak doors that rats have chewed through. If they want in they will get in.

Don't you believe it. I've seen solid oak doors that rats have chewed through. If they want in they will get in.
Haven't kept my grain in solid oak, but maybe like any wood it easy to chew through for a rodent!

And plastic is hard?
If they want in they'll get in trust me.
I spent a lot of time keeping rats at bay in various jobs.
Keeping the odour down is the key I think.

A
And plastic is hard?
If they want in they'll get in trust me.
I spent a lot of time keeping rats at bay in various jobs.
Keeping the odour down is the key I think.
ABS is relatively hard. Much better than wood. Obviously metal is better again. Moisture, bugs and oxidation are more likely to spoil grain kept in a Willow 60 litre bin from bunnnings than rattus rattus.

No they don't. They are a heavier (ABS?) plastic. We live in inner Brisbane where black rats abound - they have chewed through my silicon hoses, chewed through the white plastic bins where we keep the dog food and had "spent grain" fuelled orgies in the compost heap, but not even scratched these black bins! Only use them for high turn over grains though as it's harder to keep the bugs out.
Put some rats in there. That will keep the bugs out

Whatever the age of your consenting fly eater (and gender, for that matter) is entirely up to you.

The biggest problem i have had with rats lately are their entrails left on the back door step.

Thanks cat. No Seriously, thanks!.

What bugs are a problem in stored grain? Pantry moth or something different?

Yes hemp seed is legal now, $5.00 a kilo, can't be grown has been neutralized and low THC, there are a few craft breweries using it in brewing, would be compatible in a stout has a pleasant nutty flavour.

Rocky Ridge Brewing here in WA just released a hemp ale. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Full bags I use 60L fermenter type drums, half bags 25L bunning fermenter drums, anything less goes to snap lock systema type containers.
My tupperware range makes the missus look like a novice:fallingoffchair:

I'm not trying to sell any because I am far, far away but the question I have is can you get this sort of rat catching kit out in Oz?
www.trapbarn.com
fenn-mark4-trap-from-trapbarn

Back