Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all, just took delivery of a few bits and pieces for next few bews; hops, yeast, grain etc. Question is, this is my first time steeping spec grain and i'm only using half of what i bought. What is the best way to store the other half? I have airtight containers but wondering if i should bang 'em in the fridge too??
Cheers,
Rob

Keep them airtight in a cool, dark place. I'd forgo the fridge due to possible condensation issues - I'm sure people here probably store them that way without noticing any problems however.

I wouldn't put them in the fridge, just a cool dark place would be fine. The fridge can be a damp place, condensation etc.
I put my cracked grain in double ziplock bags, squeeze the air out then put it in another ziplock just to be sure. Then it goes in an airtight container and into the laundry cupboard.
Seems to stay fresh for months, makes good beer anyway.

Under a blanket of Co2, in air tight containers. If you are not storing your grains this way you are not a serious brewer & as such are not eligible to use chinese hops. :p

:icon_cheers:

paul

I leave all my spec grains (uncracked) in their individual bags in a 40L storage crate out in the shed.

Under a blanket of Co2, in air tight containers. If you are not storing your grains this way you are not a serious brewer & as such are not eligible to use chinese hops. :p

:icon_cheers:

paul

Boo Hoo, I cant use what? taipei hops, didnt we just beat then in the tennis yesterday.
edit> no such word as chinese and hop in a sentence or quote.

My 25Kg bags of un milled grain I keep in plastic 60L rubbish bins with the lids on to keep the mice out. Should I be looking for something more airtight or is this just for milled grain?

Drew

My 25Kg bags of un milled grain I keep in plastic 60L rubbish bins with the lids on to keep the mice out. Should I be looking for something more airtight or is this just for milled grain?

Drew

Nope. You're doing fine. I store all my grain exactly the same way. In those black plastic 60L willow bins you get at Bunnings, in the packaging the uncracked grain comes in (the Joe White/Weyermann bag etc). Had some grain stored that way for around a year without issue.

When I crack the grain for brewing and don't use it right away it goes into a jumbo snap seal baggie and pop them in the same sized bin on top with the lid on. Previous threads I've read seem to think that cracked grain stored this way will keep for 3 months. Some say 5 months. Never tried holding onto cracked grain in bags for longer than 5 weeks myself, but no problems to report with that time frame.

As for overall storage:

Yeast - Fridge
Hops - Freezer or Fridge (some reckon freezer is best as the AA% keeps longer but mine are fridg'd)
Grain - Dry cool spot away from light in a plastic container (Farmers simply use a steel one - They call it a silo :p)

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back