Grain Steeping Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
When doing extracts I usually steep my added spec. grains for 30 mins @ around 69 degrees and now I'm beginning to wonder what influence a bit longer is going to have on my brews.
What would be the difference in my brews if I was to up the steep time to 60 mins instead?
Would I get more sugars and how much?
How long is too long?
What about astringency and EBC calculations?
Any input appreciated.
Cheers.

I've steeped for 60mins a hell of alot of times, never noticed any difference between that and my normal 20 min steep. All your trying to do whilst steeping is disolve the sugaz, so 20-30 mins is plenty. Of course that's different if your cold steeping, which it would obviously take longer to disolve.

If your steeping like that I would look at going for 60mins and using some pale malt aswell for a partial mash, you have to do it, not even a option! do it for the beer!

I think youll find 30 mins is Far more then enough for specc grains
Really you could get away with a lot less and some decent stirring
Your not really trying to dissolve sugars as much as extract the colour and flavor of the roasted grain
The sugars are usually non fermentable as well so yes they will contribute body to the beer but you should really have all that in your can anyway

If you are looking for more body then i would look for something more along the lines of a partial .. imo

Tom

I don't use kits, just LDME and LME. I should also add that I do a 9 litre boil which includes a 2 litre sparge. I use around 500g of spec. grains on average and just tip them straight into the preheated water, stirring occasionally and straining through a grain bag into another pot before sparging. My brews are turning out well but was just wondering about the effect a longer steep would have.
I will be doing at least partials after I do my new ingredient order in the new year, hopefully I'll be set up for AG. I have one more brew to put in this year before doing a total revision on my methods, etc.

I don't use kits, just LDME and LME. I should also add that I do a 9 litre boil which includes a 2 litre sparge. I use around 500g of spec. grains on average and just tip them straight into the preheated water, stirring occasionally and straining through a grain bag into another pot before sparging. My brews are turning out well but was just wondering about the effect a longer steep would have.
I will be doing at least partials after I do my new ingredient order in the new year, hopefully I'll be set up for AG. I have one more brew to put in this year before doing a total revision on my methods, etc.

Going along similar lines, don't often use kits or LME, most of my beers are DME plus about 500 g of speciality malts. But not thinking of going to AG at this stage. Must catch up and compare notes.

cheers

Ian

Going along similar lines, don't often use kits or LME, most of my beers are DME plus about 500 g of speciality malts. But not thinking of going to AG at this stage. Must catch up and compare notes.

cheers

Ian

That would be good mate. I don't keep a lot of written notes but comparing a few thoughts over some liquid notes would go down well.

That would be good mate. I don't keep a lot of written notes but comparing a few thoughts over some liquid notes would go down well.

Count me in as well. I can vouch for Ianh liquid notes. I only keep liquid notes and Ians spreadsheet for my recipes.
Cheers
David

The only way to tell is to make the same recipe using a 30 minute and a 60 minute steep and compare. I doubt the difference will be huge. I used to do 60 minute but the main advantage I can see is preparation for mashing if that's where you intend to go.

The only way to tell is to make the same recipe using a 30 minute and a 60 minute steep and compare. I doubt the difference will be huge. I used to do 60 minute but the main advantage I can see is preparation for mashing if that's where you intend to go.

Haven't done a side by side comparison using two fermenters, but I have done the same recipe with 30min and 60min steeping with no noticable difference.
60min works for me. I brew after work. Step1 steep grains. Step2 drink, eat, relax, talk to SWMBO and kids. Step3 Continue brew after dinner (usually about 60min).
Other brews have been 20-30mins but 60 fits my lifestyle better.

Planner

If your steeping like that I would look at going for 60mins and using some pale malt aswell for a partial mash, you have to do it, not even a option! do it for the beer!

I have been doing 30 min steeps for my extracts, but would be interested in bumping it up to 60 and doing partial mash... I just have no idea what to do. Can anyone point me in the general direction of a decent set of instructions/description?

Perfect. Thanks for that. I knew something like that had to be around here somewhere.

Latest posts

Back