Grain Split

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgecliff Brewer

Reaction score
It is time for me to go AG. Is there anyone out there interested in buying 25kg bags or half bags of grain and dividing it up? I would prefer it to be pre-milled since I don't have a mill. If it does come cracked, could someone tell me how long I can store it before it deteriorates?

It is time for me to go AG. Is there anyone out there interested in buying 25kg bags or half bags of grain and dividing it up? I would prefer it to be pre-milled since I don't have a mill. If it does come cracked, could someone tell me how long I can store it before it deteriorates?

id be interested a bit down the track but not at the moment , just dont have the time or space to do AG right now..

but im sure youll find a taker or two to split a bag with

Would be good to do, maybe some of the more exotic grains like Vienna or Munich i think, i prefer getting whole bags of base malt myself. I can help you out if you want some small amounts of malt.

Crushed grain is OK if stored in an airtight container, preferably frozen although that can hamper the enzymes a little. Shelf life of cracked grain estimates range from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, personally i've gone a couple of months and it's been OK.

I think that there should be a bulk buy happening at some point soon, however it's up to when stuff runs out for the other members as to when that happens, personally i'd love to get a half bag of light munich.

Light munich sounds fine to me. Now that it is getting warmer I will have to stick with the ales - I'll have to put that Vienna Lager that I am dying to do on hold for a few months, or until I get another fridge (and apartment to fit it in). I also need maybe 4 kg of crystal and some light malt - perhaps a half bag.

Don't know about the Crystal - not something i really use or like :lol:

You should give Gerard at ND Brewing a call if you haven't already, he'll sort you out.

For pale malt, i was going to get a bag of Barrett Burston Galaxy, going halves in that and halves/thirds in a bag of Joe White Light Munich would be good. If we manage to bulk it out a bit possibly with some JW Traditional Ale or BB Ale malt to 6 bags worth we can save a bit through Gerard at the moment.

According to Gerard you can store cracked grain as long as its sealed up in a dry place for almost anytime. - Gerards from ND brewing.

OK here's a quick idea of what exactly might be involved to get us up to 6 bags. If anyone is interested in being a part of this PM, email me or just reply to the thread so we can all keep track of what everyone would want.

1 bag JW Light munich - 1/3 bag for EB, 1/3 for me, 1/3 for DC82 - Any more munich takers?
1 bag BB Galaxy - 1/2 a bag for me, 1/2 a bag for EB.
1 bag JW Light Crystal - 1/6 of a bag for EB, we'd have to split up the rest between quite a few brewers as it's not something you use much of.

Other suggestions:

1 bag of either BB Ale, JW Trad Ale
1 bag Weyermann Boh Pils - 1/2 DC82
1 bag Bairds Maris Otter or Halcyon/Golden Promise - 1/3 of a bag for me, 1/3 for DC82, 1/3 for anyone else

I could be twisted into maybe a 1/3 of a bag of light munich and 1/3 of a bag of golden promise and 1/2 a bag of a decent pils malt.

Cant we keep it on here?

Much easier if people know what others are after.

I could be twisted into maybe a 1/3 of a bag of light munich and 1/3 of a bag of golden promise and 1/2 a bag of a decent pils malt.

Cant we keep it on here?

Much easier if people know what others are after.

You're right Drew :) i'll edit my post. Was just thinking to keep it clean, but that's OK too.

Cheers buddy.

Might as well take advantage of the forum that AHB was good enough to create for us(Cheers admin)

Hi guys,

My thoughts are for a bulk buy is to stick to base grains unless enough takers can be found to split a bag of specialty grains.

I'd be interested in the following:
Pilsner -I haven't tried the Weyermann Boh Pils as I've been happy with the JW but happy to experiment - i'd take the other 1/2 of DC82's bag if there are no other takers as I use a lot of pils malt)
Wheat - surely we all use this on a regular basis...
Munich - if anyone else wants some
Crystal - I agree with Ben that we'd need quite a few brewers to split this amongst as I only use a bit at a time. Therefore if we can't get more takers, I'd suggest we sub it for more base malts ie pils or ale.

Edgecliffe - keep your eyes out for a ferment fridge - you won't regret it..... even for keeping your ales down at 18 - 20 on hot days like today.

Beers

Crozdog

I think that's a good idea, i think it will be way too hard to fill a whole bag of Crystal. Personally i think you should just buy a couple of kilos from Gerard if you want specialty grains.

Here's an updated list

1 bag JW Light munich - 1/3 bag for EB, 1/3 for me, 1/3 for DC82
1 bag BB Galaxy - 1/2 a bag for me, 1/2 a bag for EB.
1 bag JW Wheat - 1/3 a bag for Crozdog?
1 bag Weyermann Boh Pils - 1/2 DC82 (1/2 Crozdog?)
1 bag Bairds Maris Otter or Halcyon/Golden Promise - 1/3 of a bag for me, 1/3 for DC82, 1/3 for anyone else

Other suggestions:

1 bag of either BB Ale, JW Trad Ale or JW Dark Munich

Well, I can't turn down some Maris Otter. (I'd rather that than GP/Halcyon but....)

What sort of Munich were you thinking of Crozdog?

1 bag JW Light munich - 1/3 bag for EB, 1/3 for DJR, 1/3 for DC82
1 bag BB Galaxy - 1/2 a bag for DJR, 1/2 a bag for EB.
1 bag JW Wheat - 1/3 a bag for Crozdog?
1 bag Bairds Maris Otter or Halcyon/Golden Promise - 1/3 of a bag for DJR, 1/3 for DC82, 1/3 for Stuster

What sort of Munich were you thinking of Crozdog?

I've been using the JW Munich from Gerard. So whatever that is classified as ... or something similar

Crozdog

PS Stu thanks for the b'day greetings - you're right about the new tricks bit ;-)

Just got an email from Mike, he's up for a 1/3 or 1/2 of Vienna, Munich, MO and Wheat, at the moment the Wheat and Munich might not be a problem, or do you want Vienna instead crozdog and Stuster?

1 bag JW Wheat - 1/2 a bag for Crozdog, 1/2 mikem108
1 bag Bairds Maris Otter or Halcyon/Golden Promise - 1/3 of a bag for DJR, 1/3 for DC82, 1/3 for Stuster

6th bag: JW Vienna or Munich (light or dark) 1/3 crozdog 1/3 Stuster 1/3 mikem108

Edit: Crozdog the standard "munich" is the dark stuff (30EBC) is that an acceptable choice for the 6th bag?

I'm in for some.
I could do with 1/3 Bag of Vienna or Munich, Weyerman prefered
1/3 bag of Wheat
some MO
Whatever is going

Damn if I could get a 1/3 of the bag of Vienna if someone pulls out I'd certainly be keen.

Vienna, most definitely. :super:

1 bag: JW Vienna or Munich (light or dark) 1/3 crozdog 1/3 Stuster 1/3 mikem108
1 bag Weyermann Vienna - 1/3 bag Stuster, 1/3 bag mikem108, 1/3 bag DC

If mikem wants some MO, how about we each go half a bag, making it up to 2 bags?
I'm happy with dark munich, but either way is ok.

1 bag Bairds Maris Otter - 1/3 of a bag for DJR, 1/3 for DC82, 1/3 for Stuster
1 bag JW Dark Munich 30EBC 1/3 crozdog 1/3 Stuster 1/3 mikem108
1 bag Weyermann Vienna - 1/3 bag Stuster, 1/3 bag mikem108, 1/3 bag DC82

1/2 bag of MO sounds good to make up 2 bags, or should we go 1/4s?. Have to check if Gerard can get Weyermann Vienna - damn it you guys if he can :)

wow, 7 bags already.

Latest posts

Back