Grain Profiles For Beer Varieties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any links to a page that set down the defining grains that might go into the various beer styles. I'm well aware that the grain bill almost entirely depends on individual taste or whatever is available in the cupboard at the time.
I'm onto my fourth partial and I'm doing okay formulating grain bills from looking at heaps of recipes, but it's good to know what I'm putting in is within cooee of what should be in there. I'm up to scratch with the hop varieties and yeast for differing styles.... heck, maybe I should just keep mucking around with what tastes good! So far, I've tackled an oatmeal stout, porter and an Irish red.
Anyway, any advice is always helpful.

tintin said:
I was wondering if anybody had any links to a page that set down the defining grains that might go into the various beer styles. I'm well aware that the grain bill almost entirely depends on individual taste or whatever is available in the cupboard at the time.
I'm onto my fourth partial and I'm doing okay formulating grain bills from looking at heaps of recipes, but it's good to know what I'm putting in is within cooee of what should be in there. I'm up to scratch with the hop varieties and yeast for differing styles.... heck, maybe I should just keep mucking around with what tastes good! So far, I've tackled an oatmeal stout, porter and an Irish red.
Anyway, any advice is always helpful.
[post="122608"][/post]​

Try a book called designing great beers it has that type of info you are after I dont know any sites that are set up like that

Cheers

P.M the Doc he posted a link to a spread shet recently that had the grain profile of haps of english/euro beers.Can't remember the host thread.

Good Day

This will tell you the main grains and hops to use for each style.
www.bjcp.org/2004_BJCP_Guidelines.pdf

As Sintax pointed out, "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels is a great resource for what grain is suitable, plus hops, style guidelines, style histories, water profiles etc. It is about $50 from Grain and Grape, or some bookshops will special order it for you. Lost of excellent info gathered from award winning brews in America. Do be aware that it has the American slant on brewing, their readily available malts differ from ours. This is a must have book for anyone wanting a intermediate-advanced homebrewing text.

Another good source besides the already mentioned links is the Weyermann home site.

Back