Grain Newbie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milky11111

Reaction score
Done a few different batches now, moved onto hops, now I'm looking to move into adding grains to my K&K.
I'm not looking for anything complex just something I can learn with and still taste decent enough to keep me and the boys happy, we drink pretty much anything except for stouts.

I'm also wondering about the basic technique for adding grains to a K&K. The online videos I have seen aren't using kits so I'm not sure which techniques apply to me. Do I just soak the grainsock in the 2L of hot water that you dissolve the sugar and goop into before filling to the 22L or do I run a seperate boil (if so what size and time boil considering I'd be making a 22L batch) and at what stage do I add it to the wort?

:icon_offtopic: Sorry to bombarde the place with clueless questions, I try to go into learning new techniques with if I'm going to do it, may as well do it right. Also my LHBS is about 110km round trip so the forums are my main resource for expert input.

Thanks for your time. :beer:

Go for a rule of thumb of 5L of water to 1kg of grain ratio.

Ideal temp to soak (called "mashing") the grain is between 64-71 degrees, as this is the range where the sugars get out, without being too high (tannins - like a bitter tea flavour) or too low (won't dislodge sugars as well). The lower end of the 64-71 deg scale will provide more fermentable sugars, the higher end will provide less fermentable sugars (meaning lower alcohol but bigger body).

Soak grains in the temp you have chosen for 1 hour. Strain it (a kitchen sieve works fine into a pot (invest in a $20 19L big W pot)) and boil for another hour. This will be what you'll likely add hops into, though it won't be as efficient.

When I K&K'd, I'd then just pour it into the fermenter, pour in the can/goo and top up to volume. Not the most exacting science, but it'll be an improvement, and the practical side will help you with the theory of mashing, temps and the like.

Goomba

Cracked malted grain.
Specialty malt which includes crystal malts, black and choc malts and most grains with the prefix 'cara'.
Hot water for 30-60 mins or cold water overnight.
Drain liquid, (keep), rinse with more hot water, drain again.
Discard spent grain, boil liquid with some hops if using them, add extract or kit at end of boil.

That's the basic process. If you are using hops, best to get the gravity of the boil to 1030-1050 using some extract for optimum utilisation.

Crystal malt will generally add a sweet, malty nature to your brew and is not appropriate for every brew. Pale beers like pilsners for example won't fare well with too much although some of the caras, used judiciously may be a good addition. Black and choc and unmalted grains like roast barley are generally good for stouts and porters but small amounts may be used for amber coloured beers like altbier.

The more roasted, the more 'roasty' or ashy the resulting flavour.

The method i used when i was steeping grain was to first bring some water upto about 60-70 C (cant remember the temp i used but that should do it) place the grain into the pot and let it steep for 30 mins or more if you have the time, remove the grain then add the can of goo and any extras you may have to the mix bring to boil add a little hops (if you feel like it will only really add aroma and flavor with the short boil time) then add to the fermenter top up to desired level and then ferment as normal...

Great info guys much appreciated.

As for recipe should I just mash something like 250g of "Carapils Malt (Weyermann)" with a Lager/Ale kit? Maybe add some POR?

Carapils is the one I started with in my KnK days, it gives great foaming and head retention and a nice grainy taste, sort of fresh baked bread that you get in Czech pale beers. With a lager, probably some Saaz or Hallertau Aroma (NZ) would give a good aromatic boost.

Reminds me to order some more Hallertau Aroma :icon_cheers:

Thanks, sounds great. Can't wait to brew it up. :icon_cheers:

I am also up to this step. So mashing the grains puts the fermentable sugars into the wort?? So I don't have to add any brewing sugars/blends... or should I still add some?

I am also up to this step. So mashing the grains puts the fermentable sugars into the wort?? So I don't have to add any brewing sugars/blends... or should I still add some?

Wort is made from mashed grains. Tins are just the "dehydrated" version.

So the answer is yes, it'll add fermentables to the wort.

Goomba

Steeping grains is basically brewing as if it was K&K but you are also soaking 250-500g of grains in warm/hot water, this will get you starch converted to sugar (if you have the right type of grain and are at the right temp) but not enough to worry about changing your basic K&K recipe, the goal of steeping is to get some nice flavors from the fresh grain into your brew...

Only thing you need it a 10l or so pot and a extra 30 or so mins in your brew day...

The basic process is
1, bring at least 5L water to 65-70 C
2, Place steeping grains in
3, Let rest for 30 mins (longer if you can) trying to keep the temp at 65-70 C (enjoy the smell)
4, Pull grain bag or strain grain from wort (you can raise the temp to about 75 C first if you like)
5, bring wort to boil, (add hops if you desire, it may have been in the kit)
6, add to fermenter (remove hops if you like but you don't need to)
7, top up to desired level with water

Most steeping kits from your LHBS come with 250-500g or specialty grains i liked to add a lighter base malt bringing my total grain to 1kg, i did this because darker/specialty malts (the grain you get in a steeping kit) have a lower concentration of enzymes and they are what converts the starch in the grain into sugar...
Some steeping kits also come with hops added it is a nice easy and cheap way to add fresh hops to a brew for a beginner.

I hope this is helpful and i have not confused anyone I am about to go to bed and i am really tired...

Latest posts

Back