Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if you can still order barley crushers direct from the States, but that could be a good option with the dollar pretty strong. I did this 4 or 5 years back and my BC is still going strong. The advantage of them is they come with a hopper and base already assembled so you can use them straight out of the box.

But Fourstar's got a point with the monstor mills - there probably isn't a better value mill on the market at the moment. I have a 3 roller monster (use it on a bigger brewery at my folks' place) and it is one freakin awesome bit of machinery. But you will have to fashion up a hopper and base for it...

+1 for monster mill, I have a 2 roller and its been an awesome addition to my brewery :super:

Having seen the barley crusher in real life it appears to be a good bit of kit and like T.D. says ready to go straight out of the box. If your not brewing every other weekend of if you do beers typically with a smaller grain bill I would look to the barley crusher.

How ever if you are happy to tinker and build a hopper and motorise (drill or other wise) the Monster mill in my opinion (I may be biased as I own an MM3-2.0-SS) cant be beaten for the money - especially with the current exchange rates.

G'day Brewers,
Just looking at options for a grain mill. Hopefully my next piece of equipment and the dollar is doing so well.
What are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.barleycrusher.com/barleycrusher.php

Or apparently this one gets used for homebrewing, bit pricey though,
http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/hand/country.htm

Thoughts?

Cheers

Boagsy,

I've had a barleycrusher mill for almost 4 years and have been very happy with it.

Using an electric drill to run it makes light work of the grain.

Scott

Looks like I missed out on a Barleycrusher direct from the states. They have retailers listed on the site for Aussie customers and selling for more than double the price.

Might be worth dropping them an email all the same. I would have thought that if it mean losing a sale entirely, they would opt to deal with you direct. Might be wrong though.

But yeah the price charged domestically is a bit much I reckon. Go the monster if they won't deal with you directly.

Looks like I missed out on a Barleycrusher direct from the states. They have retailers listed on the site for Aussie customers and selling for more than double the price.

Boagsy, you could try www.priceusa.com.au for stuff from the US that isn't available direct to Australia.

Andrew

Just get the monster, you wont regret it, look at those big 2" rollers B) lol

Boagsy, you could try www.priceusa.com.au for stuff from the US that isn't available direct to Australia.
Andrew

I gave that a go last night, here was the quote -

Quantity - 1
USA Price: US$114.50
Shipping within the USA: US$17.50
Shipping Insurance: US$1.43
Shipping to Australia Estimate: Priority Mail | 12 - 15 lbs | US$97.40
A$/US$ Exchange Rate: 0.905
Price USA Service Fee: A$12.75

Total: A$267.81

Holy Sh1t!, bit of a bugger when the thing is $280 in Aus already. :angry:

Maybe combining postage would bring the cost down.

DK

Dunno why you would, a monster or a millmaster would eat one of them for breakfast. In fact, while I'm on the topic, there are a severe lack of millmaster supporters here. Millmaster >>> monster B)

Thats the problem right there!

Shipping via USPS, parcels @ max 20LB for a small-ish box is USD $41.95, this is what my monster mills are coming in and it fits two of them ;)

For that proce you are quoting for shipping is how much my mill by itself cost alone! :eek:

I gave that a go last night, here was the quote -

Quantity - 1
USA Price: US$114.50
Shipping within the USA: US$17.50
Shipping Insurance: US$1.43
A$/US$ Exchange Rate: 0.905
Price USA Service Fee: A$12.75

Total: A$267.81

Holy Sh1t!, bit of a bugger when the thing is $280 in Aus already. :angry:

Maybe combining postage would bring the cost down.

DK

Shows the price in Australia is pretty competetive then, especially considering the retailler has had to finance & add 10% Gst before making a margin ;)

Cheers Ross

For that proce you are quoting for shipping is how much my mill by itself cost alone! :eek:

Tell me about it! Ah well it was just a thought.

I need a mill, but don't have the expertise to fabricate a hopper or base for a monster mill which would be cheaper, and SWMBO would kill me if I bought another expensive piece of brewing kit this year! (just bought a 40L urn)

Anyone have a spare or one they want to sell me? :lol:

Cheers
DK

Dunno why you would, a monster or a millmaster would eat one of them for breakfast. In fact, while I'm on the topic, there are a severe lack of millmaster supporters here. Millmaster >>> monster B)

He's wants value for money doesn't he??? :p

Thats the problem right there!

Shipping via USPS, parcels @ max 20LB for a small-ish box is USD $41.95, this is what my monster mills are coming in and it fits two of them ;)

Yep I agree, that postage quote is outrageous. When I got mine sent through from BC direct I think the postage was around the $20 or $30 mark (from memory) - it certainly wasn't a deal breaker.

I find there can be a HUGE difference in postage quotes from the US. Baffles me really.

Back