Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had mine sent surface mail when I got it 2 years ago. Dollar was around 90 cents at the time. From memory it cost me $148 Australian landed to my door and only took a week.

Isn't there big differences in going with UPS or USPS in terms of price?

Warren -

I had mine sent surface mail when I got it 2 years ago. Dollar was around 90 cents at the time. From memory it cost me $148 Australian landed to my door and only took a week.

Isn't there big differences in going with UPS or USPS in terms of price?

Warren -

Similiar for me although the dollar had softened a little - it cost me $162 all up.

Holy crap at postage price from buyusa!

Sammus I think the mill master would have more supporters but at over $100 more than the price of a landed monster mill for a product which has a design flaw (and suggestions of a manufacturing issue re: roller allignment) its a hard pill to swallow. That along with no documentation on the mill on the mashmaster site on the mill also leads people to look else where.

If the millmaster had these issues resolved and had more information available I'd have bought one. But why would I pay nearly double the price for a mill that has documented issues which I then have to spend more money / time / effort to get around and with a lack of information.

Theres no doubting that the Millmaster has the potential to be a far superior mill with its geared drive, ball bearing rather than bushes and larger rollers than the monster. BUT it needs some refinement and untill that refinement is achieved its not worth the extra $ to many people - myself included. If these issues were resolved (ie an integrated gear guard, guaruntee that the issues many early buyers had with the rollers and the gap settings were fixed) I would have not batted an eyelid at buying one.

Edit: To clairify price wasnt the issue for me - the MM3-2.0-SS that I bought cost me $444.87 landed - thats a lot more than the MillMaster with stainless rollers would have cost me delivered.
But you still can't argue that the MM2 with no upgrades offers an excellent mill at an affordable price and if I was looking for a budget mill I think I still woudl have ended up with a product from the Monster Brewing Hardware lineup

Theres no doubting that the Millmaster has the potential to be a far superior mill with its geared drive, ball bearing rather than bushes and larger rollers than the monster. BUT it needs some refinement and untill that refinement is achieved its not worth the extra $ to many people - myself included. If these issues were resolved (ie an integrated gear guard, guaruntee that the issues many early buyers had with the rollers and the gap settings were fixed) I would have not batted an eyelid at buying one.

New "refined" model Millmaster is being released in January with 1/2" spindle, gear guard & other improvements.
Also a fully geared budget model :)

I'll leave it to Mashmaster to make the official announcement when he's ready.

Cheers Ross

Is the "Refined" model going to be the same price as the one avaliable now?

Lachlan

YOu can still get a Barley Crisher direct from the states. I recently bought a millmaster, but priced a barleycrusher. It was about AU$205 delivered IIRC.

I have had a few mills over the years and if you can afford it go a millmaster.

I just got a Barley crusher through www.beersmith.com

Delivered to my door it cost me around $230. And thats with the biggest hopper., and when the aussie dollar was 87c. Got it up and running today, and boy does it crush it well.

Interesting Ross I'll keep an eye out for that "official" announcement ;)

Well I'll go on record as saying that the design of the millmaster perhaps had a slight oversight, however a 2 minute fix at nil cost has resolved this. A sheet of heavy plastic (as found on most toy packaging - clear window part) torn off box - cut to approx size - fit into hopper - cut to exact size - done. 2 minutes might be an exaggeration, but definitly more than 1 minute. had this mill since it's release and never a single issue (other than user too pi$$ed to operate) Dollar for dollar, sure it's more, but the thing chews through Rye/wheat/corn like no other mill I've ever used. I would get a 2nd one if the need arose, before getting a BC or monster.

Ive got a Monstermill2 and ive used Maple's Millmaster.....if i had the money i would buy the millmaster. its just nicer to use. if you planning on mechanising a mill then it probably doesnt really matter if you go a monster, barley crusher or otherwise. the millmaster is just really nice to use and as Maple said, it just chew through grain effortlessly.

+1 Millmaster.

It didn't work out of the box which was quite disappointing. The faults are all well documented here on the forums though.

Now that we've ironed out the kinks and fitted a gearguard (courtesy of someone's cutout pdf somewhere here on the forums) it is just brilliant.

If they have a 'refined' one (I.e. one which works out of the box!) coming out in January as Ross says then there will be no better on the market for the price.

I've tried & tested most of the mills on the market including a top of the range S/S 3 roller mill from Crankenstein.
All the mills (like the car anology I used, that upset a few in another thread) will do the job, eventually, but every idle roller mill I've used has suffered from the idle roller refusing to turn at some stage (especially wheat in its various forms). In a home enviroment this probably isn't much of an issue, but in a commercial one where we've personally spent half an hour trying to crack 1 kilo of wheat (no exaggeration) it is, never again.
Most seem very happy with the choices they've made & why wouldn't they, it's very satisfying milling your own fresh grain.
I believe most of the mills on the market are all pretty good value for money, but you generally get what you pay for.

Cheers Ross

Edit: I was very happy with our Crankenstein from new, but the idle roller problem we experienced & from feedback I've read, gets worse over time.

Well it's all very interesting. I wouldn't be lashing out for a mill till after the silly season anyway so I'll be waitin for the new improved millmaster I reckon.
My priority would be to achieve the best result with regard to the milled grain itself, hopefully it fits this bill. I don't mind payin a few extra bucks to support an Aussie business.
Can you make flour with the millmaster? It would be a handy little bonus on the side to be able to crank out some flour for cooking as well.

Just got another quote for a Crankandstein 2S + Base and Hopper for around $177 Aus delivered.

Things are looking up! :D

DK

Back