Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture as promised. :)

Spider Coupler. $15 from Jaycar. Cat. No. YG2782.

Haven't tested it extensively yet. However seems to work well. Shaft ID is 1/4 inch. I had to grind about 1mm off the threaded shaft of the wiper motor, then just ground part of it flat to grip with the grub screws. Second part going to mill is a cutoff flat screwdriver blade. Once again partially ground flat to grip to the grub screw. :beerbang:

Here's to hoping the whole shebang is functional. RPMs are slow but steady. :)

Hope this helps anybody attempting the same thing.

Warren -

DSC01036.JPG

Looks good Warren and should be a mod easily attempted and achievable by anyone with a file. Great find on the spider coupling.

This looks like an easier way to couple the two compared to my brass block method, and it allows for slight misalignment.

Top work, hope it works as planned.

Cheers, Justin

Thanks Justin

Was seriously contemplating your method. They had a tap and die set at the Warehouse for $15. My self confidence gave in on me at the 11th hour though. :lol:

Fingers crossed that the spider's beefy enough to handle the wiper motor torque. Early tests look promising. ;)

Warren -

Great idea there Warren, might check them out.

Hoops

Brewed today (disaster, but different story.....)

Anyway, grabbed a short video of the motorised mill in action. Take look here

Motorised Mill is awsome! Well done fraser_john!

Warren,
How long does it take you to mill 5 kilo of grain with the wiper motor.

Cheers
Andrew

G'day Andrew

Currently it's off the mill and I'm using a cordless drill. :(

I found it to be extremely slow when using it and for some reason the motor kept stalling under load. May have been the lack of amps (8 amp) by the battery charger I was using?. I've heard that wiper motors under heavy load can draw up to 14 amps (??) :unsure:

Now I've got the larger hopper which will hold about 7kg I'd be interested to start mucking around with the motor again. I've got a couple of ideas which may improve it's performance. First and foremost making some form of shock mounting for the wiper motor to allow for misalignment. :)

All that said I'm quite happy using my 18 volt cordless drill (cheapie XU1). Gearbox allows a nice RPM for crushing 8kg of grain in about 20 minutes. Being 18 volt it has "just" enough charge to do the job. If the battery goes flat I just switch over to the 12 volt drill.

I found the variable speed (corded) drill to be a little on the brutal side and hard to get a nice low RPM without the windings wanting to fry.

Warren -

I found it to be extremely slow when using it and for some reason the motor kept stalling under load. May have been the lack of amps (8 amp) by the battery charger I was using?. I've heard that wiper motors under heavy load can draw up to 14 amps (??)

Yep I found the same, unbearably slow, I also noticed the motor heated up so much you could barely touch it after about 20 min running. I too now use an 18volt cordless drill and have found it much easier to get a good slow crush than the corded drill version.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew.

This pic shows how I use it now and also a pic of the new corflute hopper (holds around 7kg). I just join the couplers together which allows for the misaligned modified bolt shaft (that's why I call her Frankenmarga :lol: ) and I put the second part into the drill and just grind away. In the end it was well worth the stuffing around. I found the standard Marga "screwdriver bit" configuration to be slipping a lot under load, particularly when using a 240 volt, variable speed drill. The couplers were $14 from Jaycar and do the job brilliantly.

The combo of cordless and modfied coupling make the job of milling a piece of the proverbial. :)

As I said I may take another look at trying to rig up the wiper motor just for grins. :beerbang:

Warren -

DSC01198.JPG

DSC01251.JPG

Andrew.
This pic shows how I use it now and also a pic of the new corflute hopper (holds around 7kg)...[snip]
Warren -
// apologies for drifting a tad O/T \\
G'day Warren,
As a fellow Marga owner, I've been stuffing around trying to get a decent sized hopper built to replace the pathetically inadequate grain cup that comes with the mill....Can you give a bit more data on the corflute hopper you made? If the materials can be sourced from the local Bunnings etc, that would be good...
Cheers,
TL

No worries TL.

Marga Hopper

Only took about 30 mins to build and cost me about $10 all up. Mind you I got the corflute gratis from a friend of mine. By all accounts most signwriters or screenprinters have loads of the stuff. :)

It's great. Strong as a brick dunny once it's all glued together. Ally angle helps a lot here. ;)

Warren -

TL - I have three sheets of it if you want them...600mm x 420mm that would be heaps?
Let me know
Cheers
Steve

Anyone had any luck constructing a hopper to Warrens' design using perspex?
I have a sheet of 5mm (maybe slightly thicker) perspex sitting in 'the shed' just waiting for a project.
If no dramas using perspex I might give it a go this weekend.
Cheers
nt
:beer:

Latest posts

Back