Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oatley website say motor comes with a 9 tooth sprocket and 10mm bore so 3/8" would be better suited. But best to contact Oatley and ask.

Can't help on PSU as I don't use DC.

The pinouts for an ATX power supply are easily found.

ie http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/...pin-12v-psu.htm

Any of the +12V pins should be able to provide the required current to drive the motor.

As for the shaft size, depends on what type of spider coupler you can source... do a search on jaycar or similar.. might have better luck overseas though.

on the motherboard connector of there is one solitary green cable join that up to any black cable (ground) and the psu will stay on without being connected to a computer. i use pc power supplies for heaps of projects sometimes however the starting current required for some devices make the psu fail.

The pinouts for an ATX power supply are easily found.

ie http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/...pin-12v-psu.htm

Any of the +12V pins should be able to provide the required current to drive the motor.

As for the shaft size, depends on what type of spider coupler you can source... do a search on jaycar or similar.. might have better luck overseas though.

Hi all

For those using the Oatley motor with the Monster Mill 2, can anyone advise if the Oatley would be better suited to the 1/2 inch shaft the the MM2 can be upgraded to?

Any tips on using the PSU would also be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mr W

I have a MM2 with the standard 3/8 shaft connected to the Oatley 250w DC motor with a spider coupling from JayCar. I bought a 12v10amp PSU of ebay. It works great. Just remove the sprocket from the motor shaft and grind a slightly bigger flat spot on the shaft of the motor and the mill for the grub screws to tighten up on. You will need to drill out the spider coupling to fit also. Too easy.

I copied the idea from QldKev who got it from AndrewQld I believe. I havn't got any photos but maybe if you pm qldkev he could have some.

My mill gives a nice crush at slow speed, probably takes about 3 minutes to crush 5-6kg. (aprox, I haven't timed it) I'm well pleased with how my mill performs

Has anyone here used a windscreen wiper motor?

Would these have sufficient torque to pull it off?

Has anyone here used a windscreen wiper motor?

Would these have sufficient torque to pull it off?

Nope wiper motors die from the abuse of the mill.

For ideas inc couplers check out my web page - from my signature

A 1/2 inch shaft is great if you want to go the 240v motor, 3/8 is easier if you go the Oatley DC motor.

QldKev

Played around some today and found the limits of my mill. Should have said in first post that I am BIAB and was going for the finest crush possible.

I was previously using a 2 speed drill with mill rollers set as close as possible. Could start with a hopper full no trouble. When trying to run the same setting with the oatley motor and X_Box 360 Psu, the motor would stall out.

Found today that if I blocked around half the roller area with cardboard, on the closet setting, I could start milling with hopper full and get through 5kg of grain in maybe 5 min.

Then ran through some 1kg batches at various gap settings. They were medicare card, 4 strips,3strips and 2 strips of cut up soft drink can. Found at all settings except the 2 strips of can that the mill would start with 1kg in hopper, and mill that kg in about 20 seconds. Interesting to hear the motor load up with each 'closing' of the gap setting, till the setting of 2 strips where it just stalled.

Will see tomorrow how it starts with a 5kg hopper full on 3 strips setting, and go from there.

Played around some today and found the limits of my mill. Should have said in first post that I am BIAB and was going for the finest crush possible.

I was previously using a 2 speed drill with mill rollers set as close as possible. Could start with a hopper full no trouble. When trying to run the same setting with the oatley motor and X_Box 360 Psu, the motor would stall out.

Found today that if I blocked around half the roller area with cardboard, on the closet setting, I could start milling with hopper full and get through 5kg of grain in maybe 5 min.

Then ran through some 1kg batches at various gap settings. They were medicare card, 4 strips,3strips and 2 strips of cut up soft drink can. Found at all settings except the 2 strips of can that the mill would start with 1kg in hopper, and mill that kg in about 20 seconds. Interesting to hear the motor load up with each 'closing' of the gap setting, till the setting of 2 strips where it just stalled.

Will see tomorrow how it starts with a 5kg hopper full on 3 strips setting, and go from there.

Go to SuperCheap autos and buy yourself a cheap set of feeler gauges. Then you know exactly what the gap is set at. It's handy if you want to tell someone what your mill gap is. :icon_cheers:

I think my mill motor would stall too if I set the rollers to the closest setting. I have the gap set at 1mm. It gives me a good crush and works well with my brew system. (copper manifold in an esky mash tun)

Milled up grist today for http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=456Les the Weiz Guys Weizenbock . 5.5 KG of 50% dark wheat. Measured my gap at .279mm and realised what a big ask it was to crush any finer. Mill chewed through it in 2m 5sec.
Wrapped with the whole setup.

Variation was the coupler, sourced mine from a bearing shop in Toowoomba. 40mm OD and is bought as 2 halves $10 each, and element $8. Picked up the X-Box PSU for nix, but needed some help for a mate to get the supply to fire. All fits nicely on original Moster mill base, although had to chop about 25mm off the shaft.

DSC03307.jpg

Milled up grist today for http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=456Les the Weiz Guys Weizenbock . 5.5 KG of 50% dark wheat. Measured my gap at .279mm and realised what a big ask it was to crush any finer. Mill chewed through it in 2m 5sec.
Wrapped with the whole setup.

Variation was the coupler, sourced mine from a bearing shop in Toowoomba. 40mm OD and is bought as 2 halves $10 each, and element $8. Picked up the X-Box PSU for nix, but needed some help for a mate to get the supply to fire. All fits nicely on original Moster mill base, although had to chop about 25mm off the shaft.

.279mm, you need a flour mill not a grain mill.
I'm running mine at 0.9mm; which is pretty fine for grain.

I think even if you went 0.75mm you would not affect your efficiency

QldKev

My efficiency so far has only been 67%, on a good day. Every thing I have read re biab suggests finer = more efficiency, but am going to start moving the rollers out over the next few batches to see if I can improve any.

I sidestepped the 12 VDC route. Couldn't be bothered with finding a DC power source (never even considered a PC power supply. Doh!!).

Found this motor and gearbox on ebay. The boys at work knocked up a mount and shaft for me for a few bevvies. Gearbox is 10:1 reduction so speed is perfect (140rpm). Motor is 1/2 hp single phase, capacitor start and capacitor run so no worries about starting torque or burning out motors. Cost about $50 more to setup than the DC motor option (from Oatley) but I'm happy with that.

Mill is MM2. Does a 5kg batch of grain in about 3 minutes.

The only downside is that if I get a stone or something solid in there it won't stop. I might need to look at a shear pin or something.

Grain_Mill.GIF

Latest posts

Back