Grain - How Long Can You Keep It For?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth (not much) I use a second hand Phil Mill I paid $20. It takes 20mins to run 6 kg's through the first time and about 5 mins the second and I think it does a great job, after all we are only making BEER fellas not space shuttles. If I was a big player in the beer industry I am sure I would have a better mill but for a simple AG brewer who brews once every 2 weeks I like the idea of making do with what I got and turning out IMO great beer.
It shits me no end some retailers and wankers on this site bang on about having the brightest shiniest bling AG gear money can buy but can they make beer with it?
Food (or beer) for thought ;)

Steve

Sorry boys, just a quick edit, I think Darren has made his point, in his own special way, and he may well be correct, but I think we are a long way from where this post started.....On behalf of all involved we apologize Mrs W

Mrs Wambesi,

If the mill from Craftbrewer is a Marga mill, avoid it like the plague. It is not made to crush malt and your hubbie will spend a few hours

What a load of bullshit Darren :eek:

Day by day you're sounding more and more like the AHB's answer to Lord Haw-Haw.

Had a Marga myself for 2 years and the thing crushed over 300kg of grain and is still going strong with another brewer. By no means a perfect solution but crush grain exceedingly well for their low price.

Edit: Darren not so sure about a few hours but I suspect you're pretty well-versed in "hand-cranking".

Warren -

We ALL *elbows the rest of the wee boys* apologise for the detour in your thread, Mme Wambesi. If you've got any other questions about how best to cater for your husband's brewing fetish, we're only too happy to help. If you'd like to hear more arguments on whether the marga mill is a worthwhile investment, you'll find us in another thread. Innat right lads?

Darren,so you have never upgraded?

You always bought the best piece of gear for job,once?

:beer: :beer:

Better man then me, Gunga din

Sorry MrsW ;)

Sorry boys, just a quick edit, I think Darren has made his point, in his own special way, and he may well be correct, but I think we are a long way from where this post started.....On behalf of all involved we apologize Mrs W

Exactly, thanks to everyone who put their point across, its now starting to get petty, each person is entitled to their own thoughts on the matter but lets end that stuff right here.
Different mills for different people, I'll be happy with whatever I get. :)
Let's all relax and have a homebrew....well maybe not me it's 6am, time for work...

Sorry MrsW ;)

Milpod,

Yes, I upgraded. From a food processor to a Valleymill (10 years ago). Valleymill was not the most expensive of the two on the market at the time. If I was to get a new one it would be a three roller Crankandstein.

cheers

Darren

Hi Lethal,

Nice 23rd post. If you have anything to contribute about malt and crushing it let me know. Just looking at your avatar. Is that you following Ross? :eek:

cheers

Darren

What is it with you having to rubbish people???
Does it make you feel like a big man??
You seem to forget that you started out with a low 23 posts once. Unfortunately even though you have over 2000 odd posts, you still seem to come up with stupid things to say.

Eric

Sorry MrsW ;)

Darren's first brew was also an A.G, why start any lower.

Valley Mills....wouldn't waste my time

Rook

What is it with you having to rubbish people???
Does it make you feel like a big man??
You seem to forget that you started out with a low 23 posts once. Unfortunately even though you have over 2000 odd posts, you still seem to come up with stupid things to say.

Eric

also, out of his 2000+ posts he wouldn't have more than 23 constructive posts.

Rook

I bet thats the last time Mrs W asks a question on this site. Can u blame her.

I just received a kilo of crushed grain. Haysie stated that "Cracked/crushed base grains you dont have a lot of time, i.e 1-3 weeks depending on how you store it".

The grain I have is steeping grain. Baird pale crystal and weyermanns caramunich I.

Would storing it in a paper lunch bag, inside a tupperware container in the fridge be a good way to store?

Suggestions welcome for a grain newb!!

I just received a kilo of crushed grain. Haysie stated that "Cracked/crushed base grains you dont have a lot of time, i.e 1-3 weeks depending on how you store it".

The grain I have is steeping grain. Baird pale crystal and weyermanns caramunich I.

Would storing it in a paper lunch bag, inside a tupperware container in the fridge be a good way to store?

Suggestions welcome for a grain newb!!

I wouldn't think so. You need to keep it dry and the air out. I keep my cracked grains in an airtight container in a cupboard.

I've recently purchased some large metal tins from an military disposal shop for this very reason - storing base malt. I'm planning on throwing some dehumidifying dealies in there to keep the moisture down.

On another note, you can buy large (5L) clamp-seal glass jars for nix at most cheap shops.

Cheers - boingk

Nah

I've got a mill

The cool temps are supposed to stop the crushed grain from staling

Cheers

I once kept grains in the freezer................... Under advice from members on this forum (SJW, Stuster, HB79) I stopped as they said it would promote mold growth. If they are correct or not I have had no issues with storing grains in airtight enclosures out of the fridge. Just my experience.

I store mine in the freezer. So far, so good. I would rather have a freezer full of cracked specialty grains and order some base malts once a week or so then have to worry about sacks of grain being ransacked by rodents.
Cheers,
Jake

Under,

just store cool & dry - your grains will last many, many months, no problem.

cheers Ross

Is a fridge a dry environment? I know its packed with bacteria but I am unsure about moisture.

Latest posts

Back