Grain - How Long Can You Keep It For?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Wambesi

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ok i know that this might be a stupid question, but i would like to buy Nick some grain for his birthday in July. He is going away (with work) for 3 weeks at the end of this month, so it would be great to buy it now, and put it away for later.

So my question is can i buy it now? or wait? and how long does it last? :huh:

And as he is now in the process of going from kits to all grain, are their any particluar grains that i can buy that he would most likely use?

I dont want to ask him what he wants as i would like to try and suprise him. I know he likes pale ales like little creatures if that helps. :huh:

Thanks for your help
Mrs Wambesi :D

Mrs Wambsesi,

Cracked/crushed base grains you dont have a lot of time, i.e 1-3 weks depending on how you store it, Uncrushed is a different kettle of fish, buy reputable ala JW BB W/MANN etc etc, store it cool and dark , away from critters, it will last all year and beyond.
Particular grains? maybe speak to one of the sponsors, but always start with base, i.e some ale malt would be a great start.
Good Luck.

p.s when you find the right combination , can you please speak to mrs haysie :lol:

Haysie

I would like to help, but that sounds like uncharted territory to me :D . It took me weeks to decide on my first AG recipe.
My only advice would be to keep it simple with aussie ale grain.

Perhaps you could make him a personnalised and ingraved mash paddle?

I love APA's as well. JSGA,Little Creatures. In the same boat, I have just started to get my AG brewing in full swing. My first bags of Malt were Barret Burston Ale Malt.

BYB

Cracked/crushed base grains you dont have a lot of time, i.e 1-3 weks depending on how you store it,

??? I cannot see why you think there is such a short shelf life - if you store it in an air tight container, in a dark area - I would be thinking more like 2-3 months B)

I'm also interested in an answer to this question as I was thinking of starting to buy grain in bulk.

From what i've read (googling etc ...) Grain that is uncracked should last 6-12 months (some people say 6 some say 12). The only thing i really picked up was that humidity&temp/mold and bugs are the issues you want to control. An air tight tub that you could get from bunnings was what I was thinking of storing it in.

Just my 2c feel free to correct me :p.

Cheers,
Dave

I kept around 3 kilo's of crushed grain in the fridge, in a tight bag for around two months.

Resultant brew from these grains was outstanding. While doing the mash, the grains still smelt fresh and heavenly.

Buy him a 25kg sack of 2 row base malt. The homebrew supplier will know what this is. Also get about 3-4kg of medium crystal/caramel malt. Anything else that he needs he can order himself. If he's been really good, also buy him about 500g of a high alpha acid hop for his bittering additions. Store the hops in the freezer.

Grain will keep for a long time. I've personally stored base malts for 18-24 months, and specialty malts (roasted, crystal, etc) for much longer than that. Just keep it dry and as cool as you can, but don't get worried if the storage temperature gets high. Low humidity is more important. I once bought 75kg of precrushed malt and I didn't use the last of it for about a year. It was fine - no issues with staling at all.

If you're worried about humidity or pests getting into the malt, buy some large rubbermaid containers with lids. They're what I use to store the malt when I open the bag. If you have a cat, keep the malt indoors so that there's no chance of mice finding it.

All good suggestions above - a sack or two of ale malt would be my pick (Marris Otter, Joe White, etc.).
Not meaning to rain on your parade, but don't forget that the grain comes "un-crushed", and needs to be crushed before being used. A grain mill is typically in the $200+ mark, which you might not be expecting to fork out.
Cheers, Hutch.

craftbrewer have a cute little one for $99.

No affiliation etc, not even a satisfied customer, just spotted it when looking for my false bottom. As an aside, they're now all stainless! Win.

EDIT: actually, if it was me, I'd be leaning towards a mill as a present instead of the grain. He can buy the grain himself, and it's not nearly as sexy a present as a nice shiny stainless steel contraption. We're men - we're easily distracted by shiny metal things.

Grain will keep for a long time. I've personally stored base malts for 18-24 months, and specialty malts (roasted, crystal, etc) for much longer than that. Just keep it dry and as cool as you can, but don't get worried if the storage temperature gets high. Low humidity is more important. I once bought 75kg of precrushed malt and I didn't use the last of it for about a year. It was fine - no issues with staling at all.
Ditto, all is good.

Cheers

Mrs W, I hope you know what you are getting yoursef into enouraging All Grain as for me it has become very addictive. Last time I was at Grain and Grape I noticed that they do gift certificates as I am sure other Home Brew stores do. When starting out in All Grain as I am going down to the LHBS and having your recipe made up and getiing those last little tips are all part of the adventure. I know gift certificates can be a bit impersonal (my wife tells me all the time), but there is always some thing you need down at the LHBS.

65b

Will you marry me? Nah really my missus is very tolerant of my AG, not encouraging, but tolerant.
I'd say get a bag of pale, I use Joe White and am very happy with it. Then maybe pm Ross who runs craft brewer, he has fixed me up with very good prices and services and could steer you in the direction of some specialty grains and some hops to make an APA. Maybe some light crystal and a touch of melanoiden, some amarillo, cascade, and even some saaz.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

PM me your ring size and I'll head down the jewellers tomorrow. lol.

Edit: to answer your question, the grain uncracked will last ages, your local HB store will probably crack it for you for a small
fee (probablly for free), or ask for some grain to suit the style you like and he can make you a nice drop for giving him a great pressie, it's the gift that just keeps giving!

I would like to help, but that sounds like uncharted territory to me :D . It took me weeks to decide on my first AG recipe.
My only advice would be to keep it simple with aussie ale grain.

Perhaps you could make him a personnalised and ingraved mash paddle?

"uncharted territory" alright, i bought him a coopers kit last year, thinking that it wouldn't take up to much time... well wasn't i wrong. The boys (ages 2 and 4) get very upset if he dosen't have a beer to drink with dinner, and they even tell him that "you have to go to the naughty spot" So guess i am VERY out numbered, so if you cant beat them... join them. :)

All good suggestions above - a sack or two of ale malt would be my pick (Marris Otter, Joe White, etc.).
Not meaning to rain on your parade, but don't forget that the grain comes "un-crushed", and needs to be crushed before being used. A grain mill is typically in the $200+ mark, which you might not be expecting to fork out.
Cheers, Hutch.

I was thinking of buying a mill for valentines day, and the grains for birthday.

craftbrewer have a cute little one for $99.

No affiliation etc, not even a satisfied customer, just spotted it when looking for my false bottom. As an aside, they're now all stainless! Win.

EDIT: actually, if it was me, I'd be leaning towards a mill as a present instead of the grain. He can buy the grain himself, and it's not nearly as sexy a present as a nice shiny stainless steel contraption. We're men - we're easily distracted by shiny metal things.

But is this mill as good as the other one i saw on grain and grape (Barley Crusher grain mill including hopper) for $245, if i am going to buy one i would want it to last a few years.

Will you marry me? Nah really my missus is very tolerant of my AG, not encouraging, but tolerant.
I'd say get a bag of pale, I use Joe White and am very happy with it. Then maybe pm Ross who runs craft brewer, he has fixed me up with very good prices and services and could steer you in the direction of some specialty grains and some hops to make an APA. Maybe some light crystal and a touch of melanoiden, some amarillo, cascade, and even some saaz.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

PM me your ring size and I'll head down the jewellers tomorrow. lol.

Edit: to answer your question, the grain uncracked will last ages, your local HB store will probably crack it for you for a small
fee (probablly for free), or ask for some grain to suit the style you like and he can make you a nice drop for giving him a great pressie, it's the gift that just keeps giving!

So can Home brew stores make up a bag (so to speak) of all the particular grains, and all he needs to do is add the hops? and what ever from there? :huh:
Thanks for the proposal...hope he does stay out of this thread B)

if you're getting him a mill too then perhaps this doesnt apply, buy since you're in melbourne an easy way to get him started might be 25-50KG on grain and grape's grain book. from what I've hear about how it works, you pay the price for a sack of grains up front and they record it in their book and then any time he goes in and get a recipe made up they deduct it from the amount on the books. that way he doesn't even need to think about storage and can get it crushed fresh each brew. should set him up for around 9-10 average strength 20-25L batches. I guess it depends on how close you are to grain and grape, and how soon you expect to get him a mill.

if you're getting him a mill too then perhaps this doesnt apply, buy since you're in melbourne an easy way to get him started might be 25-50KG on grain and grape's grain book. from what I've hear about how it works, you pay the price for a sack of grains up front and they record it in their book and then any time he goes in and get a recipe made up they deduct it from the amount on the books. that way he doesn't even need to think about storage and can get it crushed fresh each brew. should set him up for around 9-10 average strength 20-25L batches. I guess it depends on how close you are to grain and grape, and how soon you expect to get him a mill.

I think this might be the best answer to date. I've bought a sack of grain then borrowed a mill to crush it and made good beer. It works.

But, you simply cannot beat the flexibility and convenience of the Grain Book. Apart from anything else, you get the crush for free and you get to use any species of grain they stock. You also get to familiarise yourself with all the bright shiny objects in the shop.

I think this might be the best answer to date. I've bought a sack of grain then borrowed a mill to crush it and made good beer. It works.

But, you simply cannot beat the flexibility and convenience of the Grain Book. Apart from anything else, you get the crush for free and you get to use any species of grain they stock. You also get to familiarise yourself with all the bright shiny objects in the shop.
I second this suggestion - so long as Mr Wambesi can get to G&G easily to pick up the grain for each brew.
I usually phone through an order for a particular recipe (individual quantities of a few different grains). They do the crush, and put it all in together, or separate bags if you prefer. Pick it up the next day (they like 24hours notice), and they deduct the quantity from the grain book.
It is such a simple way to get whatever combination of grains you like with minimal fuss, and no unused grain going to waste. And it is cheaper than buying individual (small) quantities of this and that to keep stocks up.

As much as I'm very tempted to buy some more bling for the brewery (a grain mill), this convenience is hard to beat.

Mrs W, the $99.00 dollar mill from Craftbrewer is a ripper as many others would tell you, also Ross wouldn't sell it if it was crap :D

Rook

And, if you'll indulge me and ignore everything but the cost and my drifting even further off topic:

MillMaster: $270
Motor: $50
Pulleys/belts: $100
Hopper/stand: $100

Say, $500.

One 25kg sack BB Ale Malt: $38

50kg Grain Book Purchase: $150 (from memory) = $75 per sack.

To make up the cost of the mill, you need to buy 500/ (75-38) = 13 and a bit sacks, or 338kg, or 48brews (give or take). The figures improve as you brew more interesting beers...

If you buy a Marga and a cheapie drill, you spend $130, which requires 13 brews.

Just curiously, does he have a keg setup? I just got one for my birthday and was very happy to open a box to some shiny hardware. If so, or if it is too expensive (the wife passed the hat around to my friends), then the grain mill (or other relevant hardware) would be my pick. Grain will get used and be gone, the hardware will last, especially if it is shiny metal. :)

EK

Latest posts

Back