Grain - How Long Can You Keep It For?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mill for Valentines day..... I wish my wife was that romantic....no really... that would be very cool....

Hey Mrs W, Will you marry me :wub:

Steve

Mrs W,

I just did a brew a couple of weeks ago with some grain that I had cracked at least two months ago, and it still tatsed pretty good to me. Its bubbling away very happily at the moment.
I am sure what ever you get he will be a VERY happy brewer.

:icon_cheers:
Eric

if you're getting him a mill too then perhaps this doesnt apply, buy since you're in melbourne an easy way to get him started might be 25-50KG on grain and grape's grain book. from what I've hear about how it works, you pay the price for a sack of grains up front and they record it in their book and then any time he goes in and get a recipe made up they deduct it from the amount on the books. that way he doesn't even need to think about storage and can get it crushed fresh each brew. should set him up for around 9-10 average strength 20-25L batches. I guess it depends on how close you are to grain and grape, and how soon you expect to get him a mill.

I love the idea of a grain and grape grain book!!!, it works out great for both of us. I get to buy him grain (in a way) and support his beer brewing. He gets to select and make a range of beers!! win win :p

Mrs W, the $99.00 dollar mill from Craftbrewer is a ripper as many others would tell you, also Ross wouldn't sell it if it was crap

Rook

fair enough, looks like that will be the one i get! B)

Just curiously, does he have a keg setup? I just got one for my birthday and was very happy to open a box to some shiny hardware. If so, or if it is too expensive (the wife passed the hat around to my friends), then the grain mill (or other relevant hardware) would be my pick. Grain will get used and be gone, the hardware will last, especially if it is shiny metal.

EK

No, not yet, he has been talking about it. We now have 4 fridges. <_<

No, not yet, he has been talking about it. We now have 4 fridges. <_<
Keg setups (2 kegs, disconnects, taps, etc..,not the gas bottle though) can be obtained from most home brew stores...though shop around as the prices can vary by as much as $100. Though, as I am in Brisbane, I don't know about any Melbourne stores.

EK

Mrs Wambesi,

If the mill from Craftbrewer is a Marga mill, avoid it like the plague. It is not made to crush malt and your hubbie will spend a few hours (instead of a few minutes with a brew mill) cracking grain. If you buy a mill, buy one made to crush grain. You only want to buy one mill in a lifetime. The Marga mill does the job but is far from perfect. Once he has a good mill, everybrew from that time on will reduce the costs of subsequent brews (See the bulk Melbourne malt buys and compare the prices)

As for the malt, I would go for either Weyermann pils or Barrett Burston malts to replicate Little Creatures

cheers

Darren

If the mill from Craftbrewer is a Marga mill, avoid it like the plague. It is not made to crush malt and your hubbie will spend a few hours (instead of a few minutes with a brew mill) cracking grain.
\
Darren

Darren, you are entitled to your opinion, but there are many 100's of very satisfied Marga users in the Country. It is tremendous value & perfect for most homebrewers. Telling someone it's going to take " a few hours" to crack their grain is utter rubbish.

Cheers Ross

Mrs Wambesi,

If the mill from Craftbrewer is a Marga mill, avoid it like the plague. It is not made to crush malt and your hubbie will spend a few hours (instead of a few minutes with a brew mill) cracking grain.

Bollocks

Once he has a good mill, everybrew from that time on will reduce the costs of subsequent brews (See the bulk Melbourne malt buys and compare the prices)

I dont follow your rationale

As for the malt, I would go for either Weyermann pils or Barrett Burston malts to replicate Little Creatures

cheers

Darren

Mrs Wambesi,

If the mill from Craftbrewer is a Marga mill, avoid it like the plague. It is not made to crush malt and your hubbie will spend a few hours (instead of a few minutes with a brew mill) cracking grain. If you buy a mill, buy one made to crush grain. You only want to buy one mill in a lifetime. The Marga mill does the job but is far from perfect. Once he has a good mill, everybrew from that time on will reduce the costs of subsequent brews (See the bulk Melbourne malt buys and compare the prices)

cheers

Darren

I intend to move to all grain beers in the next year and I noticed that you were happy to throw off at the Marga Mill which many others seem to recommend, but what would you recommend?

EK

I intend to move to all grain beers in the next year and I noticed that you were happy to throw off at the Marga Mill which many others seem to recommend, but what would you recommend?

EK

Hi EK,

Sorry, I will address Ross's winge first. Do you use a Marga Ross to crush your malt? I doubt it. It is slow and inefficient.

Having seen the Marga mill I know it is intended to make flour. The average homebrewer wanting to get into home brew would be better off going to their nearest second hand shop and grabbing a food processor, chucking some malt into it, flipping it on its side then turning it on until desired "crush" is obtained. Nothing wrong with that. Actually I used one for my first 30 or so AG brews and won medals at state level.

EK, I now have a Valleymill and have used it for 10+ years with no problems. Apparently they don't sell them anymore. If I were to buy again I would go for the three roller crankenstein (spelling is probably wrong)

cheers

Darren

Hi EK,

Sorry, I will address Ross's winge first. Do you use a Marga Ross to crush your malt? I doubt it. It is slow and inefficient.

Having seen the Marga mill I know it is intended to make flour. The average homebrewer wanting to get into home brew would be better off going to their nearest second hand shop and grabbing a food processor, chucking some malt into it, flipping it on its side then turning it on until desired "crush" is obtained. Nothing wrong with that. Actually I used one for my first 30 or so AG brews and won medals at state level.

EK, I now have a Valleymill and have used it for 10+ years with no problems. Apparently they don't sell them anymore. If I were to buy again I would go for the three roller crankenstein (spelling is probably wrong)

cheers

Darren

Darren, I used a Marga right up until I started my business & it never missed a beat. Now with up to 100kg of grain cracked in a day, i use a 3 roller crankenstein - Cost me close to $1,000 to set up though by the time i motorised it. A far strech from the sub $100 Marga, which is also a 3 roller mill.
I bought the Marga from Tony who had many happy years with it & its now with a new AG brewer who again is very happy.
Suggesting the average homebrewer would be better off using a food processor (though workable), is just plain daft, but again you are entitled to voice your opinions, I just hope too many don't take your stirring seriously :) .

cheers Ross

Ross,
Not stirring. Just know that the Marga is not the mill of choice otherwise Tony and yourself would still be using it ;) . Good to see you bought the Crankenstein. Around $250 for the hand-cranked model from memory.

No need for motors for 5 kilo of malt. Simply turn the handle (like you would need to do with an un-motorised marga, except the Marga would take you a good 20 mins)

Sure spend $100 on a flour mill (Marga)if you are uninformed. Better to spend $250 on the mill you actually want which will last a lifetime.

cheers

Darren

Ross,
Not stirring. Just know that the Marga is not the mill of choice otherwise Tony and yourself would still be using it ;) . Good to see you bought the Crankenstein. Around $250 for the hand-cranked model from memory.

No need for motors for 5 kilo of malt. Simply turn the handle (like you would need to do with an un-motorised marga, except the Marga would take you a good 20 mins)

Sure spend $100 on a flour mill (Marga)if you are uninformed. Better to spend $250 on the mill you actually want which will last a lifetime.

cheers

Darren

Just on the Marga Mills...

For any brewers on a budget out there in my opinion the marga is a winner. Is it slower than mills twice its price? Yes! Does it take an hour to crush 5-6kgs grain?? NO!! Max 15 minutes or so for up to 8 kgs in my experience. I had a marga mill for years and was happy with it. I have now upgraded at home and have a helluva lot bigger mill to play with at work :lol: but still have a soft spot for my old marga mill and can't see how those with $100 to spend vs $200 + can really go that far wrong Darren??

Shawn.

We've come a long way from "hours" to "20 min".

I read Ross' comments as saying that he was a satisfied user of a marga for many years, and only upgraded when he had to crack 100kg per day as a professional. Before that, it belonged to another brewer, who presumably used it until his needs outstripped the mill, and it's currently with another brewer, who will use it until his needs outgrow it. Seems to me that, as a new AG brewer, a mill that is capable of cracking 100kg per day is probably overkill. That's like saying buy a minivan when you're a student, because one day you'll have plenty of kids to cart around. Everything I've found on the marga indicates that it's possible to create a coarse flour with it if so desired, but a flour milll is a different beast altogether. Horses for courses.

You don't actually indicate there that you've ever actually used a marga mill, but you have seen one. I've never used one either, it may be shite, I dunno. But I'm far more likely to listen to the opinions of those who have used it, and love it, than those who haven't used it, have spent a fortune on something else, and therefore have a vested interest in justifying their expense.

In short, please detail your particular grievances with the product you're rubbishing, or head to the bar for a nice tall glass of STFU.

Darren just likes to be contrary.The marga is a great entry level mill for those dipping their toes into all grain,and not sure if
they wish to continue.It negates the cost a little, for other expenses.

Others bought the marga years ago,I'm sure many have never changed.

Ten minutes to crush 7kgs(with drill) will add hours?Food processor,good one :rolleyes:

I thought about updating to a larger "mill",but decided against it,my marga works just fine.80% + efficiency.

As a side note,with the big update to other mills,people still seem to be hanging on to their margas.That,or they are giving them away for free?I don't see second hand units for sale.

Cheers

Hey guys/girls,

As I said before you only ever want to pay buck$$ for a mill once. There are not many brewers have known that have stuck with their MODIFIED Marga mills. They have all stepped up to a knurled roller mill.

Milpod, Food processor works fine for the first few batches until you buy a $100-250 mill.

If BIAB and no-chill are entry points then the food processors are too, unless you can explain to me why not?

cheers

Darren

We've come a long way from "hours" to "20 min".

I read Ross' comments as saying that he was a satisfied user of a marga for many years,
In short, please detail your particular grievances with the product you're rubbishing, or head to the bar for a nice tall glass of STFU.

Hi Lethal,

Nice 23rd post. If you have anything to contribute about malt and crushing it let me know. Just looking at your avatar. Is that you following Ross? :eek:

cheers

Darren

As I said before you only ever want to pay buck$$ for a mill once. There are not many brewers have known that have stuck with their MODIFIED Marga mills. They have all stepped up to a knurled roller mill.

Darren

LOL - You obviously have never used one, as a Marga is a knurled roller mill, a 3 roller one at that.
Anyway, my last words on the subject, as your comments are becoming tedious, & this thread seems to have become derailled from the original question.

cheers Ross

Im with Darren on this one.Measure twice cut once.Do the research and do it well as too often we read of upgrades from one model to another.
Now why would one go from a Marga that one is happy with to another model?
Ross crushes 100kg a day.Big deal.Obviously the Marga doesnt cut the mustard for such a high volume.I remember years ago i went to a brew day at Goliaths in Adelaide and Dave was crushing with a Valley Mill.It was one mill i really wanted up until i saw it at close hand.
It had wide rollers etc but the grain was feed through an approximate port of 25mm square.What a waste.
I went for the Barley Crusher.
To cut a long story short do your research,save a few extra bucks and get the quality you really want because at the end of the day the quality will last you a long time and you will not worry to much about upgrading.

Cheers
Big D

PS Grain is best fresh so dont keep it too long.

Good to see tha Ross the retailer has opted out. Marga is a MODIFIED flour mill. It is no better than a food processor in your first few batches. Save your $$ and crush in a food processor. If you like the beer buy a mill. $250 is nothing for a lifetime investment.

Back