Grain Bill For Rasberry Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchy

Reaction score
Hi guys been searching the forums this arvo about rasberry beer and I came up with this for my next AG.Is this ok

Rasberry wheat beer 25L

Wheat malt 4.2kg
Pilsner malt 1.8kg
Caramalt 150gm

Rice hulls 500gm Is this required??

Tetnanger hop 20gm 60min
Half a wirlflock tablet 30min

For Yeast should I use US-05 or Wyeast 3068

1kg of rasberrys after primary fermentation has started.

Are the rasberrys put in a blender first or just put in whole into the fermenter.

Cheers Andrew

Hi guys been searching the forums this arvo about rasberry beer and I came up with this for my next AG.Is this ok

Rasberry wheat beer 25L

Wheat malt 4.2kg
Pilsner malt 1.8kg
Caramalt 150gm

Tetnanger hop 20gm 60min
Half a wirlflock tablet 30min

1kg of rasberrys after primary fermentation has started.

Are the rasberrys put in a blender first or just put in whole into the fermenter.

Cheers Andrew

Not sure about the grains; but this recipe ('cranberry zinger!') describes blending the fruit, adding it to the (empty) secondary fermenter and then racking over the top of it. http://www.byo.com/blogs/Easy-Brewday.html

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

Breezy

Cheers Andrew[/quote]

With more than 60% wheat in a recipe you'll need the rice hulls to filter the wheat(as it doesn't have a husk) otherwise you'll have a bugger of a sparge.

In regards to the yeast question
depends whether you want a clean yeast(US-05) or something to give it a bit more depth and cloudiness than just raspberry(3068).

Put the rasberries in whole after freezing them for a few days(will help kill wild yeast plus bust open the fruit cells giving lotsa flavour).

Cheers
Q
PPS the rasberries can give little seeds in the resulting beer, just something to be aware of, nothing bad.

going out even further by myself, i use the wlp550 for my raspberry wheats.
i cant comment ont he grain bill as i have yet to do an ag version but will be doing one again shortly.
i use my raspberries frozen in the secondary but treat them with camden tablets to make sure they are sterile.

Try this linky for what to do with the fruit.

I've used frozen raspberries (1.5kg) for a 23ltr extract brew and just dumped the still frozen fruit straight into the secondary - no sanitising etc - and I had no infections.

cheers,
hosko

Howdy Churchy

Dug through my recipes - here is one I have had quite a bit of success with. Your hop schedule is fine - I was mucking around with leftovers for this one - I think I copped some abuse from a few quarters.

Add the rasberries frozen from the packet - after primary has subsided.

I used WB-06 for this one - any wheat yeast would be OK I reckon - not 05 though. I still got some phenolics in this esp when younger - nice mouldy orange.

After a month or so in the keg this was like drinking Pink Champagne - I had non beer drinking chicks begging for the stuff.

RM

Raspberry Hefeweizen
Weizen/Weissbier

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/10/2007
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Roger Mellie
Boil Size: 31.25 L Asst Brewer: Tom
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 2.08 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt (3.5 EBC) Grain 52.08 %
1.70 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 35.42 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 10.42 %
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
2.00 kg Raspberries (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs WB-06 yeast Pitched at 28 DegC

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.70 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.48 %
Bitterness: 17.2 IBU Calories: 551 cal/l
Est Color: 8.2 EBC Color: Color

60 min MAsh In Add 14.40 L of water at 73.8 C 68.0 C

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Notes

Mash in with 15 Litres of 76 DegC water
Mash out with 7 Litres of 98 Deg C water
Sparge with 15. Litres of 85 Deg C Water

12/10

Added 1.2 KG of frozen rasperries and 800g Mixed Fruit to the fermenter. SG was < 1.020 at this point. Smell was devine.

Ok so I will use the rice hulls and I will freeze the rasberrys before putting them in.Now the Yeast so I should stick to the US-05 to get a cleaner beer?

Andrew

I know it is not the same, but I just did a batch of strawberry blond, and I suggest mashing-up the berries somehow. My beer was almost impossible to transfer from secondary, so be ready for blockages somehow.

+1 on the campden tab as per Barls

Ok so I will use the rice hulls and I will freeze the rasberrys before putting them in.Now the Yeast so I should stick to the US-05 to get a cleaner beer?

Andrew

Personally the tartness of the WB-06 complements the raspberry.

Its a wheat beer you are making after all - I would use a wheat beer yeast.

RM

I was looking at the recipe Rod's Raspberry wheat by Rod in Dubbo and he used US-05 thats where I got the idea to use this yeast but I can try the WB-06

Andrew

I think US-05 is a fine yeast to use if you want, and WB-06 is fine too and so is 3068. It really just depends on what you want - cleaner and let the fruit shine, or complement the fruit with some esters/phenols. Or split the batch and try both. :icon_cheers:

I know it is not the same, but I just did a batch of strawberry blond, and I suggest mashing-up the berries somehow. My beer was almost impossible to transfer from secondary, so be ready for blockages somehow.

+1 on the campden tab as per Barls

Hmmmm - for just the reason you mention - I would leave the berries whole. The yeast absolutely leaches everything out of the rasberries - making a pulp is jsut looking for trouble.

I dont filter my wheats and after 7 days on the fruit its all just one thick layer on the bottom of the fermenter - never had to do anything else than turn on the tap and decant.

RM

7 days on the fruit its all just one thick layer on the bottom of the fermenter - never had to do anything else than turn on the tap and decant.

Mmm, I got both sinker and floater berries, so neither worked well, but I guess strawberries are a very different fruit structure.

Please feel free to disreguard my comments on pulping rasberries.

i pulp my raspberries, never had a blockage.

Latest posts

Back