Grain bill too complex?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew the bloody thing as is and report back.

Its YOUR BEER.. Brew it and then learn from it.

At the end of the day, no one can tell you what its like until you brew it.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Fully agree. That's how it became fully clear to me that I need to simplify my recipes. I have a real, experiential understanding of that now.

You wont learn from others telling you how to design a recipie

You need to learn from your own brews.

Out of all the beers I made over the years...I only put 3 of them in the recipie DB.....simply because...well they where simple recipies and they worked..and others that tried or made them agreed

A simple recipie is often the best

Agreed. Others will advise - listen to the advice and consider it and why it's given. Brew, consider the beer and how the advice relates (whether you took it or not) and tweak for your palate next time if necessary.

Don't try and please every bugger that says 'drop this' or 'ad that', including me.

Righto she's on the boil as we speak. It all went splendidly, I'll chime back in with a report while I'm drinking it.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Great idea, see how it turns out and modify it to suit your tastes

Ducatiboy stu said:
And check the Designing Recipe thread.
Or do your own research.. :)

Well it turned out pretty good, little more bitter than I would have liked, I have no idea how many ibus the hop stand added, obviously a few. Also the hop fruityness is almost over the top, but im sure it will mellow a bit. The grain bill was bang on, guna brew it again in a few weeks to iron out the few bugs..

I dont wanna complex it too much but often read about balancing fruit with pine/resin. Cascade and Citra are your fruits so could add in some Chinook/Columbus/Simco as 1/3rd of your hops just to cut through them that little bit.

Yeh might give that a go next time. Haven't used chinook be4, I might sub out the cascade for chinook in my next revision of this brew, or just add it to the mix, 50%cascade, 25%chinook & 25%citra

Anyway reportiong back on the brew, not real happy how it turned out. The fruityness has flattened right off, just mainly bitter. Its def. in IPA territory.

In my opinion prior brews where I have done FWH/60/20/10/5/0 then chill, Ive got wayyyy better flavour & aroma, and retained it for longer too, + I have better control over the IBU's, I think hopstanding is not for me, too much guess work in the IBU department.

I dry hopped one keg at 2g per L, thinking of leaving the other keg not dry hopped to compare the two. Or fk it might just dryhop both to compensate the hellish bitterness.

My best APA are 3 grains, fruit 2/3 and pine/resin 1/3. Chinook is my fave for this though CTZ is fair as a substitute.

IBU should match OG for a APA. Again 1/3from early the balance at 10 mins assuming chilled.

With grains my best are either maris otter 90%, 7.5% crystal preferably a complex british variety, the balance something different like rye or red wheat. I've also found rye has the propensity to muddy things if overdone for hoppy beers.

For British, 2 malts will work on a pale, especially when the base is a good malty variety like MO or even GP.

rockeye84 said:
Got a recpie for me Lord Raja??
Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale in recipedb is the complex-ish version.

Simple version is alomg the lines of:

Base malt (I love Bairds Perle) 5kg
Heritage Crystal 300g
Rye malt 200g

30m Chinook to 15IBU
10m Citra and something else fruity (Galaxy, Mosaic or Cascade are excellent) to 20-25IBU.

Plug in figures to brewmate with your hops AA% levels to tweak weights.

US-05

If you want an IPA bring the first addition to 60mins at 30 IBU with the later addition up to 30IBU.

Dry hops saved the day! 20g citra +20g cascade in each keg...omg :icon_drool2:

The lord nelson etc recipe one.

There was a discussion about keg hopping with citra and cascade. Angus grant and I think they're the ideal hops and the ideal quantity to really :icon_drool2: it.

You might be able to tell me, do you take your hop bags out of your keg after a set amount of time? or just leave em in untill the keg is empty? Ive been taking mine out, toying with leaving them in..

Latest posts

Back