Grain Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
As stated in a previous Post, am just about do do the fist all garain brew and was wondering f if I should use a grain bag or not. I have converted a 45 LTR eski with a braided hose as a mash tun. Should I place the garians straight in or plop them in the bag first. Cheers

As long as the grain is nice and loose and able to move into all the recesses of the mashtun hazy you should be fine. Obviously you will need a big bag.

As stated in a previous Post, am just about do do the fist all garain brew and was wondering f if I should use a grain bag or not. I have converted a 45 LTR eski with a braided hose as a mash tun. Should I place the garians straight in or plop them in the bag first. Cheers

using a bag is great as it makes it easy to remove the grain from the mash tun and makes sparging easy. I have been using the BIAB technique but adding in a small sparge. Its a lot quicker and easy. Have just done my 2nd AG brew.

cheers
Bretto

I agree with Bretto!

I just did my second AG the other day and using a bag makes the entire process just so much easier :lol:

I bought some fine polyester curtain mesh fabric from Spotlight like the Brew In A Bag guys suggest and sewed the seam 3 times over to stop it tearing with the weight of the grain. Not sure how you would go with your mash tunn, but it wouldn't be that hard to make a humongous bag if you know someone that can sew and you got the muscles to lift it all!

I am lucky, the only thing I ever managed to sew on a sewing machine as a kid was draw-string bags for all my marbles - now all that time and effort and my mates calling me a woman has finally paid off :icon_cheers:

using a bag is great as it makes it easy to remove the grain from the mash tun and makes sparging easy. I have been using the BIAB technique but adding in a small sparge. Its a lot quicker and easy. Have just done my 2nd AG brew.

cheers
Bretto

nah... just kidding.. I wish I could sew :(

I am sure there are lots of Mums out there who would be willing to help ;)

Back