Gradual Crash Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davedoran

Reaction score
Hey,

Doing a pilsner and crash chilling at the minute... well at least im trying to. Fermented at 12 deg then after fg reached left it to rest for 2 days at 18 degs.
At this point (Sun Morning) I set the temp controller to 2 deg. It has been really slowly dropping down. This morning it was reading 6 deg wen fridge was running. Fridge cycle stopped and it rose back to 6.8 deg.
Am I just being impatient with this and allow it to get there eventually.

Have you got the fridge turned up all the way to the coldest setting? Mine goes down to almost Zero (or whatever I set it to) degrees with stopping.

Am I just being impatient with this and allow it to get there eventually.
Yes you are. Often I drop an ale to 10C first for 24 hours then drop it down to 2C. It doesnt matter if it takes a few days or more to get to CC temps. Whats more important is how long you sit it at CC temp.

Also where is your probe? It shouldnt rise to 6.8 when the fridge cycle stops. But if your probe is just siting loose in the fridge then its only measuing the fridge temp not the wort temp. Tape your probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it with some foam etc to insulate it from the fridge air. Then you should find it will give a more accurate wort reading temperatue.

Truman said:
Yes you are. Often I drop an ale to 10C first for 24 hours then drop it down to 2C. It doesnt matter if i takes a few days or more to get to CC temps. Whats more important is how long you sit it at CC temp.

Also where is your probe? It shouldnt rise to 6.8 when the fridge cycle stops. But if your probe is just siting loose in the fridge then its only measuing the fridge temp not the wort temp. tape your probe to the side of the fermenter and cover it with some foam etc to insulate it frm the fridge air. Then you should find it will give a more accurate wort reading temperatue.
Ok Thanks.

Ill do this. Probe is sitting on top of fermenter. Will tape it on to side this arvo.

wbosher said:
Have you got the fridge turned up all the way to the coldest setting? Mine goes down to almost Zero (or whatever I set it to) degrees with stopping.
Ya fridge turned up to coldest.

dave doran said:
Ok Thanks.

Ill do this. Probe is sitting on top of fermenter. Will tape it on to side this arvo.
Whilst many people do this and report good results, I'm an advocate of purchasing a thermowell, and getting the probe right into the heart of your wort.

They are so cheap to buy, I'm surprised more people don't use them.

Accuracy is your friend.

Spiesy said:
Whilst many people do this and report good results, I'm an advocate of purchasing a thermowell, and getting the probe right into the heart of your wort.

Accuracy is your friend.
Ya would love to. Still using the coopers homebrew kit plastic fermentor. Can you get thermowells for these?

I work in a stainless fab shop so will eventually get around to doing a staino fermenter.... eventually.

I have a 2litre PET bottle filled with water next to the FV, this is no perfect but better than the on top of FV probe tactic.

Spiesy said:

Accuracy is your friend.
I've tested the temperature of the wort compared to my probe against the side of the FV, and the difference is usually within one degree. Tested both during and after fermentation. I think is is probably adequate for most people.

I did purchase a thermowell for this purpose, but never ended up using it because the temp difference is well within what I'm comfortable with.

indica86 said:
I have a 2litre PET bottle filled with water next to the FV, this is no perfect but better than the on top of FV probe tactic.
Now that is clever.

This works well. DSC_0061.jpg

dave doran said:
Now that is clever.
You need to bare in mind that during fermentation the temp of the wort can be several degrees hotter than the ambient temp as it generates it's own heat. So your PET bottle may say 18 degrees but the wort could be significantly higher.

Even worse, the PET may be 17 degrees causing the heat source to turn on, while the yeasties are going ballistic in the FV running at 22 degrees and getting hotter.

It's a old stubble holder. Silicon that on. I've done this on two fermenters so far, I will do my other two soon.

I do the same as Scooby except have it underneath the fermenter.

Used to be on the side, but kept falling off so just sit the fermenter on top of the probe and chunk stubbie holder.

EDIT: May have to look at silicon-ing it to the side...

wbosher said:
You need to bare in mind that during fermentation the temp of the wort can be several degrees hotter than the ambient temp as it generates it's own heat. So your PET bottle may say 18 degrees but the wort could be significantly higher.

Even worse, the PET may be 17 degrees causing the heat source to turn on, while the yeasties are going ballistic in the FV running at 22 degrees and getting hotter.
That is why I have it set to 17 during fermentation without a heat source.
Works for me.

I just attach the stubby cooler with a bungee cord around the FV. Works really well with no tape or anything to clean up later. :)

If you silicon then cut and use a straw that suits your probe. Good thing is when it gets old it just peels off the plastic.

Not sure if I made a botch of this but still only ready 7 deg this morning (12 hours after taping probe to side of fridge).
Cut the stubby holder and taped to the side of fermenter with probe taped inside to side of fermenter. Small amount of condensation on side of fermenter.
Put a thermometer in there as well and can verify its reading the same (6.5 - 7deg).

Could be the reconditioned fridge not being able to get to 2deg.

Pulled the fridge plug out of the Temp controller this morning and plugged fridge into the wall socket so will see what I get this arvo.

Failing that ill try the trick with the bottle of water and see what I get.

Hmmm,

Think my brew fridge is stuffed. Tried a number of things with taping probe to side and putting inside a bottle of water. Still only getting 6-7 deg out of fridge.
Any ideas here. It being a pilsner and all I would like it clear. I do have finings but will they do enough at 6 deg?
I suppose worst case the beer wont be as clear as id like but still tastes good.

Hi Dave if your fridge is stuffed, you should think about a freezer for your next brewing 'fridge'. They easily can got below 2 degrees!(while not working as hard as a fridge).

Good luck! I'm sure it will till taste good!

Latest posts

Back