Goodbye Bronwyn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Camo there will be no foreign employees working for lower wages that is all bullshit, as for the fiasco on Friday by Border Force, if the person who ordered it is the same person who informed the media then they are truly a dick head, imagine if they had just gone out and caught 20 or so illegals there would never have been such an outcry, a few of the civil rights crowd would have had a winge and that would be about it.
WEAL, it's already happening in the building industry. Teams of foreign workers are undercutting opposition as they're willing to take less money to do the same job. The fact that they're generally harder working and less demanding makes it very hard for employers to be patriotic.

Probably the most significant thing unions have done for the industry is standardise wages. This is most beneficial to employers as it makes tenders much fairer to estimate and places everyone on a level playing field. You can't tell me that if the FTA allows an excess of Chinese tradesman to compete in our industry, they won't work for lower wages to stay employed in a foreign place on a work visa. I'm sure you yourself can appreciate that it won't be the first time an employer exploits cheaper labour.

I should advocate that I'm not pro union, ALP or One Nation FTM.

Barge said:
Not a truer statement has been uttered. Take, for example, Australia Post. Now privatisation is probably inevitable, which will invariably lead to more job losses, reduction in services and an increase in prices to satisfy an insatiable demand for record profits every quarter. This always follows privatisation.

Imagine, however, that the government retains AusPost and, instead of seeing it as a vehicle designed to make money, it is viewed as a department crucial in driving the economy. Whilst letter writing has gone the way of the Dodo, more and more businesses operate online, thus increasing the demand for package delivery. AusPost could employ MORE people. Much more. To the point where packages are delivered door to door for free (or at least so cheap that it's as good as free). Couldn't tell you the number of times I've thought of buying something but left it because the postage was more expensive than the item. This would result in increased sales for online businesses, and an increase in the employment rate. This would obviously be funded with tax dollars but would generate much more in terms of economic growth, not to mention that the tax dollars used to fund it would be partially offset by the taxes paid by the people employed and the money saved by not having to pay them welfare.
And I quickly caught a fleeting screen grab this morning, the bloke in charge of Auspost pulls in a measly $4.8M as CEO and Managing Director. (%^%#%^*)&)_(&*%^$# SERIOUSLY!!!

madpierre06 said:
And I quickly caught a fleeting screen grab this morning, the bloke in charge of Auspost pulls in a measly $4.8M as CEO and Managing Director. (%^%#%^*)&)_(&*%^$# SERIOUSLY!!!
Maybe he should get a job at Qantas

I am tonight, driving home from church tonight was more than fortunate enough to spot a folded note on the road in the semi darkness...quickly pulled up and run back, a very much needed $50....means I can afford tea tomorrow night.

So yeah, I'm rich tonight.

Camo6 said:
WEAL, it's already happening in the building industry. Teams of foreign workers are undercutting opposition as they're willing to take less money to do the same job. The fact that they're generally harder working and less demanding makes it very hard for employers to be patriotic.

Probably the most significant thing unions have done for the industry is standardise wages. This is most beneficial to employers as it makes tenders much fairer to estimate and places everyone on a level playing field. You can't tell me that if the FTA allows an excess of Chinese tradesman to compete in our industry, they won't work for lower wages to stay employed in a foreign place on a work visa. I'm sure you yourself can appreciate that it won't be the first time an employer exploits cheaper labour.

I should advocate that I'm not pro union, ALP or One Nation FTM.
If the employee will accept lower than award wages then the employers doesnt have to pay the award wage..

Remember Howards work place relations individual bargaining thing....

madpierre06 said:
All he had to do was sack a lazy 900 workers to get his blood money.
The Auspost guy wants to sack more than that. He might get $20m for his effort

My 2c, just because a tradie is on the dole doesn't mean he is unemployed. Over the past 12 months I've had quite a few guys do work on my house. The only bloke who did it on the books was the sparkie. All the others expected cash jobs. They seem genuinely shocked when I want it on the books. The only reason they are doing cashies is 'cos they were crying poor and double dipping. I'm not saying everybody does it but nearly everybody that I've dealt with over the last year does.

Feeling pretty rich tonight. Rugby (union) club had presentation day today and my son won the coach's award for U9s. I think that's the award for the quickest player to get from training to the sausages at the bbq.

There are always those that will do it.... Even politicians have been known to do it

shaunous said:
So many Homebrewers, so many Labour voters.
Pffft. Spot the grape grower ^ :ph34r:

seamad said:
Feeling pretty rich tonight. Rugby (union) club had presentation day today and my son won the coach's award for U9s. I think that's the award for the quickest player to get from training to the sausages at the bbq.

Love it. Beautiful. You must be so proud. Couldn't help myself, laughed aloud when I read this.

shaunous said:
So many Homebrewers, so many Labour voters.
Who would've thought that a large part of a community of practical, do-it-yourself type of people have an inherent distaste for elitist, right-wing politics.

Barge said:
Who would've thought that a large part of a community of practical, do-it-yourself type of people have an inherent distaste for elitist, right-wing politics.
Truly baffling

Back