Goodbye Bronwyn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoopsOz said:
Can we define "rich"?
Many people in the world are incredibly poor financially, but rich culturally, spiritually or in community, maybe those people are happier and more content than any of us posting here.

Defining rich in a financial sense is relative, but here's a link that compares cost of living expenses. and other stuff around the world.

One thing it doesn't compare is whinging, but if it did, Australia would be right up there.

Black Devil Dog said:
One thing it doesn't compare is whinging, but if it did, Australia would be right up there.
Something we could beat the whinging Poms at

wide eyed and legless said:
No one can pay you less than the award even if you go into an employment agreement.
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/awards-and-agreements/employment-contracts
I have never said that you can get payed less than the award.

What I am saying is that the employer can put you on a lesser award

This is how employers get away with paying a person less

Just because you have certain skills does not automatically mean you will be payed the award you have the qualifications for

I was a labourer for a Sparky, employed as a labourer, but in reality I was more qualified then they guys I was working for. But I was employed a a labourer and payed the award for being a labourer. There was another bloke who was a qualified auto electrician. He to was employed a labourer and payed the award as a labourer

Why where we doing these jobs. Simple really. There was **** all work and bills had to be paid

I have skills sets that could put me on nearly twice what I earn now, but there are no jobs out there available at present.

But I suppose I could have always gone on the dole instead

I know you dont believe it, but it does happen

So stop banging on about your utopian ideals. What you think and what is reality are 2 very different things

It's your fault stu.
Just work harder and maybe open up a mine or something.

I know a bloke who's a supervisor for a project builder (a client of mine) and what he told me, was that he went into his bosses office on a Thursday and said if he won't up his pay to 100 thousand a year he's not coming back on Monday.

He got his increase.

I wouldn't have put it that way myself, but if you are worth it, I guess you can demand it.

manticle said:
It's your fault stu.
Just work harder and maybe open up a mine or something.
Your right. Its my fault for not opening up a mine subsidised by the taxpayer and becoming rich by employing overseas cheap labour . Stupid, stupid me

Black Devil Dog said:
I know a bloke who's a supervisor for a project builder (a client of mine) and what he told me, was that he went into his bosses office on a Thursday and said if he won't up his pay to 100 thousand a year he's not coming back on Monday.

He got his increase.

I wouldn't have put it that way myself, but if you are worth it, I guess you can demand it.
You can demand it. But most of the time you will get shown the door.

But It does happen to the lucky few

I disagree, if someone does their job well, they are an asset and get paid accordingly.

Edit: I don't agree with the way he 'said' he did it, but he believed he was worth it.

Black Devil Dog said:
I disagree, if someone does their job well, they are an asset and get paid accordingly.

Edit: I don't agree with the way he 'said' he did it, but he believed he was worth it.
Is a 100k a lot for a supervisor?

Any tradie capable of supervising can run his own business and earn heaps more..

Black Devil Dog said:
But not all employers are like that

Some yes, all no

I recently got a nice pay rise for doing a great job and working for it, but I am lucky that my employer sees it like that. I have had other employers who dont give a **** how hard you work. If you put your hand out they will replace you.

The sparky I worked for sacked both of us labours because he could make more money out of the 2 apprentices he put on because they where cheaper to pay and he got a gov subsidy as well. He was only looking at his bottom line. He didnt give 2 fucks about who was doing the work

I have seen both sides of the coin.

Ducatiboy stu said:

Some yes, all no

I recently got a nice pay rise for doing a great job and working for it, but I am lucky that my employer sees it like that. I have had other employers who dont give a **** how hard you work. If you put your hand out they will replace you.

The sparky I worked for sacked both of us labours because he could make more money out of the 2 apprentices he put on because they where cheaper to pay and he got a gov subsidy as well. He was only looking at his bottom line. He didnt give 2 fucks about who was doing the work

This is true but only because you hadn't offered him any more value than an apprentice.

Burt de Ernie said:
Is a 100k a lot for a supervisor?

Any tradie capable of supervising can run his own business and earn heaps more..
I can't comment on whether it's above the industry standard.

I have spoken to a couple of other supervisors and subcontractors who say their rate hasn't increased for the last 10 years or more, which I find hard to believe myself, but they wouldn't say it if it wasn't the case I suppose.

Maybe they just need to ask.

Burt de Ernie said:
This is true but only because you hadn't offered him any more value than an apprentice.
Oh dont worry. I did and he knew it.

I was stupid enough to pull more than my weight, along with the others

It came down to how much he could screw out of us. Even his most loyal blokes saw what was going on.

Didnt stop him. He didnt care. It all came down to the bottom line

Ducatiboy stu said:

Some yes, all no

Dunno, I've had people work for me that I've begged to stay and others that I couldn't care less if they got hit by a bus crossing the road.

Black Devil Dog said:
I have spoken to a couple of other supervisors and subcontractors who say their rate hasn't increased for the last 10 years or more, which I find hard to believe myself, but they wouldn't say it if it wasn't the case I suppose.
Wonder what would happen of all those blokes walked in and wanted $100k...

Wonder how many would get it.....I would say the % would be rather low

BDD - that example is one bloke who is already in a position of power and to refuse his demand would be more effort and money than it's worth. I bet he wasn't on 35,000 prior and I bet it would have been different if he asked for 180k.

I've been in a position to negotiate when I've been confident but likewise I've been at the other end. Depends on so many things, including the foresight of the manager but stu is talking about people forced to take positions they are overqualified for due to a lack of work.
Replaceable. Your supervisor friend much less so.
It just isn't that simple. If you are an asset, you should be paid accordingly rather than will be.

Burt de Ernie said:
Crap. Same thing happened to me when I was working in kitchens. Owner realised he could pay an apprentice half, despite the warnings of the chef and let me go. Apprentice was a lazy, untalented good for nothing and within 12 months the chef had offerred me my old job back.

Wasn't because I had no value - it's because the value wasn't apparent to the owner (very apparent to the chef - I stayed till he left 2 years later, became sous chef in that time, then ran the place afterwards while the owner looked for a buyer for the business he couldn't make work) . Like buying an ozito over a festool.

manticle said:
people forced to take positions they are overqualified for due to a lack of work.
As Eric Abetz said, if there are less jobs available, then you need to apply for more jobs

Bit like the old joke of the guy behind the counter at McDonalds having a better degree than you do

Back