Good hop combinations for APA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maaark said:
+1 for Cascade & Centennial combo. Try Burleigh Brewing's 28 Pale Ale for an awesome example.
An "awesome example" - really? I thought it was another unremarkable attempt at a pale ale. In fact, my comments at the time went something along the lines of congratulating them for making a beer that tastes as boring as any CUB product, dressing it up as "craft" and charging accordingly. Would not buy again.

I just brewed with Amarillo, Citra and Chinook and not overly impressed. Tastes a bit grassy so thinking the dry hops maybe could have done with a day or two less. Still need to give it a few weeks in the keg before passing final judgement.

Otherwise, anyone have a tried and true (APA) recipe using some of the following;
Amarillo,
Chinook,
Citra
Cascade
Centennial ???

WitWonder said:
An "awesome example" - really? I thought it was another unremarkable attempt at a pale ale. In fact, my comments at the time went something along the lines of congratulating them for making a beer that tastes as boring as any CUB product, dressing it up as "craft" and charging accordingly. Would not buy again.

I just brewed with Amarillo, Citra and Chinook and not overly impressed. Tastes a bit grassy so thinking the dry hops maybe could have done with a day or two less. Still need to give it a few weeks in the keg before passing final judgement.

Otherwise, anyone have a tried and true (APA) recipe using some of the following;
Amarillo,
Chinook,
Citra
Cascade
Centennial ???
Totally agree re. 28 pale ale.

WitWonder said:

Amarillo,
Chinook,
Citra
Cascade
Centennial ???
Hard to say because everyone's tastes vary so much and people often seem to be disappointed when an apa isn't as hoppy or bitter as an aipa or iipa.

For mine cascade is a great all rounder that combines well with any of those you list. Centennial is a bit like cascade on steroids so use it only if you're trying to get more bang for buck.
Chinook has that dank, resinous character that balances fruity hops well so I often use it for bittering along in a brew with cascade, citra, amarillo, etc.
Styrian goldings combine beautifully with cascade, amarillo and others and a shade of late ekg can also work in an apa.

Mostly nowadays I prefer maris+ shade of uk crystal and something toasty (vienna, biscuit, aromatic). Recently got some schooner that was a great base. While I step mash most beers, my sacch rest for summer drinking apas is around 64-65. Have done away with dry hopping this style at the moment and not missed it.

Like using simcoe as a bittering hop in apa's and using Amarillo for later additions , aiming to get the ibu's around 35

What to try a cluster bittering and Amarillo later additions apa on the weekend , has anyone tried that combo ? Never used cluster before so any info would be great

WitWonder said:

Amarillo,
Chinook,
Citra
Cascade
Centennial ???
I bought a six pack of Burleigh 28 Pale Ale yesterday. Use by 10/12/2015 so I'd say it is as fresh as.

I am not always a fan of this beer but this fresh batch is pretty bloody good. Plenty of hop taste and aroma for a Pale Ale.

manticle said:
Hard to say because everyone's tastes vary so much and people often seem to be disappointed when an apa isn't as hoppy or bitter as an aipa or iipa.

For mine cascade is a great all rounder that combines well with any of those you list. Centennial is a bit like cascade on steroids so use it only if you're trying to get more bang for buck.
Chinook has that dank, resinous character that balances fruity hops well so I often use it for bittering along in a brew with cascade, citra, amarillo, etc.
Styrian goldings combine beautifully with cascade, amarillo and others and a shade of late ekg can also work in an apa.

Mostly nowadays I prefer maris+ shade of uk crystal and something toasty (vienna, biscuit, aromatic). Recently got some schooner that was a great base. While I step mash most beers, my sacch rest for summer drinking apas is around 64-65. Have done away with dry hopping this style at the moment and not missed it.
Well yesterday I just used 50g @ 60 minutes of Chinook, then 50g each of Chinook and Cascade @ 10mins, 45L batch. I think your other point regarding the base is probably good too - I'm not sure that BB ale malt is that great to support this beer. I typically use about 85-90% pale and 10% or so of Caramunich and maybe a splash of wheat in my APA's.

Simcoe,cascade and Amarillo are the three I use most and make an awsome combo together

columbus and simcoe all day, with a touch of centennial.

perfect mix of citrus/sweetness, dankness/resin, and pine/grassy.

i just did:

Belma
Falconer flight
chinook
Cascade
vic secret
armarillo
citra

they all seemed to work well together

Just did a session apa (kinda) with

Pellets.....
Mosaic
Azacca
Eldorado
Summer
Lemon drop

Flowers......
Cascade
Galaxy

I'm hoping it's going to be decent ... I'll let you know how it goes

I am very new to adding hops but am getting my head around it now, the brew i just bottled was an unhopped extract (1.5kg light malt + 1.5kg wheat malt), and i added 16g Nelson Sauvin @40 mins, 20g Cascade @ 20 mins, and 12g of both Nelson Sauvin & Cascade at 5 mins. It smelt absolutely sensational! Twiddling my thumbs for another week till i can try one :chug:

Latest posts

Back