Going Simple a couple of questions..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Taps are fine in cubes from my experience - well cleaned after each brew and not knocked when filling cube hot.

However why in the lid?
Not sure if this is the reason for the op but I did my first no chill on Saturday and found squeezing the last bit of air out to be kind of painful as it was f'n hot trying to hold the sides steady whilst fumbling With the lid. I read the post and figured A tap would make it easy and you could then ferment in the cube. Seems like a good idea if you could trust the seal?

I ferment in cubes all the time, with taps.
I also squeeze air out, no trouble.
Pants are a must though.

If the taps not in the lid then were is it? How do you get to the back nut to tighten it?

Can you post a picture?

I usually strip n clean taps whenever I use them.

Atb. Aamcle

Here's a couple of examples. Tap generally sits in the bottom of the jerry cans/cubes. The second one is closer to the cubes I usually use. The hole in the front at the bottom is where you can fit a tap - standard tap that you might find in most home brew shops.

302215.jpg

52ef7582-5a2b-4898-8949-21f8191a8e16.jpg

Edit. Tap looks like this:

tap_white.jpg

It doesn't need a back nut. It just screws into the hole in the cube.

Yep. Lid top and red, bung where tap goes white at the base (in above image).

I fully recommend going with cube hopping. Just add the hop pellets to the cube before you put the wort in. Many, many folks I know here get great results with it. In Victoria at least, it seems to be standard practice for No-Chillers.

There are a few threads here on No-Chill, but as Yob said, calculate the hop bitterness as 15 or 20 minute additions and be done with it. And it works great with pellet hops! If you're fermenting in the same cube there should be little flavour issue from having the hops in there too. I've accidentally tipped the hops into the fermenter on a couple very pale ales and haven't noticed a difference. Neither have the folks who've guzzled them down!

However, if you're cube hopping and fermenting in the same cube, you'll probably need to siphon beer out rather than install a tap, based on the picture you linked. The cubes I use have a deeply indented bottom (see below) - for stacking - that all the hops fall into, well below any potential tap out port. Which yours don't have anyway. The gent I get mine from gets them from a small production bakery, and they held golden syrup. (Rudely, he's never offered me a full one!) Maybe have a look around at such places, and you might pick up something similar for nix.

Cube Bottom.JPG

manticle said:
Pants are a must though.
Pants? Where's the fun in that?!

I might grab some different cubes, I was using Jerry can type from Bunings.. Or maybe I need more practise.

aamcle said:
30+ views no comments Ill ask elsewhere.

aamcle
Most people in Australia are sleeping between the hours of 12:18 am and 5:12 am, hence why no comments.

Views can also be search engines indexing the page rather than actual people.

motman said:

I might grab some different cubes, I was using Jerry can type from Bunings.. Or maybe I need more practise.
or drape a towel over it.. personally, Ive usually got gumboots on by that stage and the thick rubber is great as a heat barrier and I just squeeze between legs.

Those UK cubes look fine and I'd just use them "as is".

I could see an advantage of having a tap in the lid for wort aeration, turn the cube on its side and let the wort gloop into the fermentor. However you'd almost certainly get air "locks" happening as air tries to force its way back up into the cube as it empties and you'd be there for ages.

A bit like the old office water coolers you see in American movies.

A few people use these. Just replace caps when transferring to the fermenter.

20160607_101211.jpg

bradsbrew said:
A few people use these. Just replace caps when transferring to the fermenter.
...and miss out on the fun of rapidly inverting 20L of precious wort? (only to find out that your fermenter tap is open)

manticle said:
Pants are a must though.
You won't be finding any support for your pants-on brewing shenanigans here. The ideal tool for squeezing cubes is undoubtedly tactical pluggers (safety boots).

motman said:
By all means try it tackle out.
Have done, do not recommend (cubes and giving cats medication are both on the no list).

Back