Going Simple a couple of questions..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm swapping over to true BIAB no more messing about with PID's and recirculation and I'll be No Chilling.

• Is it worth mounting a tap in the cubes lid?

I bottle my beer and bulk prime.

• Would boiling any "flame out" hops with my priming sugar and filtering into the bottling bucket work? I'd probably have to give the hops a rinse with a bit of boiling water to get all the sugar out.
Adding the hops with the sugar would mean one less addition and so reduced chance of contamination, I doubt that it would work with pellet hops.

ATB. aamcle

30+ views no comments Ill ask elsewhere.

aamcle

Why would you put a tap on the lid? No, I wouldn't...

Why wouldn't it work with pellets?

Many of us, to KISS, put any sub 20 additions in the cube, simple, no fuss or mess and works very well.

The questions are a bit confusing really, no chilling is a very simple process. No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be...

The tap in the lid is quite odd and I can't work out why you'd do it..

aamcle said:

aamcle
Majority of viewers in Australia... and you posted between midnight & 5am (Melbourne time). Getting pissy at us while we're sleeping isn't going to help.

A good method of adding ultra late hops is to use a coffee plunger. Works well with pelets as well.
I'm going to do that today as it happens, with Styrian Goldings into a Special Bitter that I'm bottling.

If you haven't bought your cubes yet, consider getting some 10L cubes and split the brew between them.

The increased surface to volume ratio will give you faster cooling and far easier handling when pouring into the fermenter.

aamcle said:

aamcle
Dunno about you, but I was asleep. 30+ views could have been from you seeing if anyone had replied.

"Sleep perchance to dream" n so on yup I forgot about that. My bad.

aamcle

Where in the UK? If no chilling I'd expect (especially using smaller cubes) you'd just need to put the cubes out with the cat and pitch next morning or even later that evening no problems.

Bloody heck, checking up on my old stamping ground of Newcastle Upon Tyne where it's now Summer I see that it's actually colder (9 to 19) than Newcastle New South Wales (11 to 19) where Winter has finally arrived and there's a cold snap on :D

welly2 said:
Dunno about you, but I was asleep. 30+ views could have been from you seeing if anyone had replied.
Or the Google Bot :lol:

Nullnvoid said:
How do you see how many views a thread has got? That's had me intrigued all day.
Use the 'View New' option - each thread will have a replies and views count

aamcle said:
"Sleep perchance to dream" n so on yup I forgot about that. My bad.
Good on ya for copping it :D

aamcle said:
I'm swapping over to true BIAB no more messing about with PID's and recirculation and I'll be No Chilling.
  • Is it worth mounting a tap in the cubes lid?
I bottle my beer and bulk prime.
  • Would boiling any "flame out" hops with my priming sugar and filtering into the bottling bucket work? I'd probably have to give the hops a rinse with a bit of boiling water to get all the sugar out.
Adding the hops with the sugar would mean one less addition and so reduced chance of contamination, I doubt that it would work with pellet hops.
I'm with Yob on his queries... why the tap? Does the cube not already have a tap point... or is it unsuitable for some other reason?

If you are making up a "flame out" hop tea, I'd just add it when pitching. It's boiled, so very little risk of any contamination. Granted - you will not retain as much of the aromatics... which is usually why you'd dry hop. I (me) would just add the "flame out" hops to the cube, but that's just my preference (because I'm also adding flame out, whirlpool, dry hopping and occasional keg hopping... why miss an opportunity to add hops?).

While I probably wouldn't try to add a hop tea to the bottling bucket (I assume I'd get small hop bits coming through regardless), you've now got me very intrigued if this is an easier way to keg hop? Probably been covered to death somewhere else... time for some googling...

The OP doesn't keg, but I've had a lot of success with a giant Stainless steel mesh teaball that I half fill with hops and just drop into the keg. That's why I'm doing similar with my bottling (I'm bottling for a competition at the moment).

I don't expect to get much gunk in the bottles.

My cubes don't come with taps of any type thus the question.

Atb. Aamcle

Taps in cubes are a potential source of infection, best to have them as just a "blank" container for easier sanitation.

Bribie G said:
Taps in cubes are a potential source of infection, best to have them as just a "blank" container for easier sanitation.
I would also worry that the tap may fail as the cube cools and allow air to be sucked in.

Taps are fine in cubes from my experience - well cleaned after each brew and not knocked when filling cube hot.

However why in the lid?

Latest posts

Back