Gluten Free Brewing With Enzymes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried this today with 1kg of millet (unhulled and unroasted), 4:1 liquid to grain ratio, 1/2mL of each enzyme, and everything else as above.

The OG was 1.010!

Not sure why this was so low, maybe I need more enzyme, there could be a dilution problem with the increase in water. Maybe having so much grain reduces the function of the enzymes in which case I could try a longer mash with longer rests.

I might have to grind the grain a bit finer too, might look at getting a mill rather than my blender.

Sorry for ressurrecting an old thread like this but does anyone know where I can get a supply of the enzymes needed to mash unmalted grains? Myself and a coeliac mate of mine are keen on experimenting.

ro55c0 said:
Sorry for ressurrecting an old thread like this but does anyone know where I can get a supply of the enzymes needed to mash unmalted grains? Myself and a coeliac mate of mine are keen on experimenting.
The enzymes I've seen before contained gluten...

Have you used sorghum extract? I did one last year and it turned out pretty good.

I've read about people using unmalted grains, there seems to be a fair debate about it effectiveness, yield and flavour. Not saying it can't be done, I'm far from an expert on the topic.

Malt your own grains?

I want to skip the malting bit if I can. I didn't realise the enzymes contained gluten, surely there would be gluten free supplies available though, ie GMO / synthetic ones.

I wonder if the White Labs WLN4000 Clarity Ferm would be able to remove any gluten added by the enzymes, given that most of what I have read is saying you only need a few ml of enzyme in the mash for a 20L batch I can't imagine there would be a heap of gluten added.

I have a fair idea of what I need, just need to know where to find it ;) I've done a few google searches but mostly come up with the manufacturers websites, no retail sales options that I've found.

ro55c0 said:
I want to skip the malting bit if I can. I didn't realise the enzymes contained gluten, surely there would be gluten free supplies available though, ie GMO / synthetic ones.

I wonder if the White Labs WLN4000 Clarity Ferm would be able to remove any gluten added by the enzymes, given that most of what I have read is saying you only need a few ml of enzyme in the mash for a 20L batch I can't imagine there would be a heap of gluten added.
Gluten reduced perhaps, but isn't that still enough to set off a celiac?

I have 3 friends who have it and they reckon that a trace of a trace is enough...

my understanding is anything containing less than 20ppm is enough to be classified as "gluten free", so even if the whole 4g packet was gluten that would still be a tiny fraction across a 20L brew, even if the entire amount made through the mash and stayed out of the trub and into the fianl product.

I'm not coeliac myself, will talk to my mate about it and see what he knows.

Need some coeliac lab rats to test on ;)

I am not 100% and can't find any info but I have a feeling amylase is gluten free, I will check with a couple of Dr type folks I know and see if they know anything

Thanks Spiesy, I saw that in an earlier post, will definitely be putting an order in with you in the near future ;)

So apparently amylase is naturally occuring in the human body so if its got gluten in it and your intolerant your in the crapper so it would be safe to assume its GF

I don't think the concern was in the amylase itself having gluten in it, the concern was more around whether or not gluten is used in creating / farming the enzyme and if any of that gluten carried over to the final product. At least thats how I read it.

Will do, I've got 2 coeliacs willing to be my lab rats, and will find a few more around the office if I can. I'll be adding it to a kolsch.

If there are any coeliacs in the Dandenong / Cranbourne area that are interested in trying a couple of stubbies let me know :)

You are as I know from experience in for a world of trouble, after a couple of years work I got my extraction up to about 60%, according to the experts that wasn't bad.
Couple of things that might help: -
Mill as fine as you can, I'm talking 0.1 mm
Pre-Boil your grist and let it cool, you will need at least 3:1 Water to grist, to gelatinise the sorghum. and then it will set like cold porridge.
Be warned that a lot of Red Sorghum contains an enzyme that that "Poisons" most commercial Amylase, Pacific Buster is on such variety and it’s the most widely grown in Australia - try very hard to White Sorghum.

Each enzyme has a very specific temperature and pH requirement; I ended up doing a 7 step mash with 2 pH adjustments and using Proteases, Glucanase, Alpha and Beta Amylase, and some strange thing that killed the red sorghum anti-amylase.
The best I can say about the project was that it was educational - I learned a lot about enzymes and how finicky they can be, commercial enzymes are very expensive and have a limited shelf life, ultimately it was cheaper and a lot easier to buy commercially made Sorghum syrup.

The endopeptidase in Clarex, won’t help you with extraction, it’s a fascinating enzyme and capable of massively reducing the protein to which coeliacs’ are sensitive, it was developed to smash up protein that can cause haze made filtering beer a PITA and its marvellous at that.

There are people who have a Gluten Intolerance - that is it upsets them, and those with an allergy - gluten can kill them...
Endopeptidase can be a big help to the intolerant, it won’t be good enough for those who are allergic, so just be very careful what you do and who you give your beer to.
Mark

Back