Giving Wheat A Go

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have to revisit this yeast, I've brewed with it several times & to me it's always been the dried aquivalent of WY3333 - tart, lots of clove with little if any banana/bubblegum.

cheers Ross

I quite like WB06, but I find it to be better suited to Belgian Ales than German Wheats.

I might have to revisit this yeast, I've brewed with it several times & to me it's always been the dried aquivalent of WY3333 - tart, lots of clove with little if any banana/bubblegum.

cheers Ross

I've used both as well, my experience with the WB06 was more like Tim's. Faintest hints of banana when it's very new, but fades quickly leaving just clove.

Ended up using the wb06. did a 50/50 wheat and pils bill with 40g hall @60 and 20g hall@ 10. Looking foward to trying it . Am going to do this twice more with some of the other yeasts mentioned and see how they differ. Thanks for the input.

OR.......... if you want to have a play with wheat malt but not bother with the mess of a weissen yeast....... give this a go.

Its a cracker!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=856
Ive got all the grain to try this. My halletau is in pellet but the bsaaz(motueka) is in flower form. How does that change the amounts? Halletau(9.0%) Bsaaz(8.2%). If I do this it will be a 26l batch, so pretty much 1/2 your db recipe grain bill. What about using a re-cultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast instead of the US-05?(just a thought)

3638 is like a 50% strength version of 3068. It's all there, just in a smaller dose. Mellower on the phenolics and esters. Thing I found is there is less apparent "loss" of flavour - as 3068 is insane at FG and rapidly decomposes - in a couple of weeks it's lacking; whereas with 3638, it's a straight line loss.

I'm loving the 3638 so far - it could be my new favourite. Way less banana like you say but I'm getting a nice mellow clove, heaps of vanilla, and green fruity flavours.

Ive got all the grain to try this. My halletau is in pellet but the bsaaz(motueka) is in flower form. How does that change the amounts? Halletau(9.0%) Bsaaz(8.2%). If I do this it will be a 26l batch, so pretty much 1/2 your db recipe grain bill. What about using a re-cultured Coopers Pale Ale yeast instead of the US-05?(just a thought)

ive done american wheats with re cultured coopers before and fermented out at 17 or so. they actually came out nice without the banana thing i was expecting from that yeast. hopping wise i usually add around 10-15 ibus of the selected hop at 60 mins and cube hop at around 60-80 grams. if youre not cubing id imagine a whirlpool addition would have the same effect.comes out nice most times with a good hop flavour and aroma with just enough bitterness to keep in balance.

WB-06 at 27C for nice banana clove vanilla balance. Don't aerate WB-06 to stress it for esters. 65% pils, 30% wheat and balance melanoiden for decocotion flavour.

I'm loving the 3638 so far - it could be my new favourite. Way less banana like you say but I'm getting a nice mellow clove, heaps of vanilla, and green fruity flavours.
That's the Schneider yeast, have used it and loved it.

Incidentally, dad found. Leftover bottle last week and it was still tasty. Can't tell what exactly, but this yeast is an all rounder compared to 3068, never quite liked over the top banana.

OR.......... if you want to have a play with wheat malt but not bother with the mess of a weissen yeast....... give this a go.

Its a cracker!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=856

I'd like to try this recipe and i have everything except the golden promise malt.

I have caramalt, JW ale malt, Munich l, some chocolate porter and rye malts. Is there anything i can substitute that i have?

I'd like to try this recipe and i have everything except the golden promise malt.

I have caramalt, JW ale malt, Munich l, some chocolate porter and rye malts. Is there anything i can substitute that i have?

Sub with any ale malt.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back