Ginger Concentrate And Apple Concentrates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne Deerain

Reaction score
Hi can anyone out there tell me where I can buy a good Ginger Concentrate for making alcoholic ginger beer and an Apple concentrate for making alcoholic Apple Cider.

I want to add this to my Home Brew Kits when I do them.

I don't mind getting them sent to me from anywhere in Australia.

Regards
Leanne

Go to your LHBS, and get beermakers old ginger beer add 1kg of dextrose and a handful of crushed garlic thats been boiled to 21 litres.

This makes ginger beer thats identical to kirks ginger beer except it has a lovely ginger bite.

You'll get about 3.5% alcohol, obviously add more sugar if you want it stronger.

DrewCarey82 said:
...a handful of crushed garlic...
[post="111939"][/post]​

Or ginger.

Leanne, PM Stuster or he may read this. He dropped off a bottle of his apple cider one day for me and it was great so he must have a good receipe.

Cheers.

Yeah thats what I meant ginger, typo on my part.

hehe.
I was reading and thinking "Geez that must make some hardcore type of ginger beer.... not sure if I'd be up fro garlic in my drink..."

I like the liquid ginger concentrate bladder that you get with the TCB ginger beer kit.

I'm pretty sure you can just buy it separately as well.

Rich

Cheers for that Duff. :D

Mine was actually real juice from a variety of apples, crushed laboriously in our juicer. I may well head for the hills soon to buy some ready crushed juice from an orchard. Fermented with English ale yeast, three months in secondary (partly due to being away) and then best after several months in the bottle. Except for the waiting, easy as. :D

Not sure I'm game for the garlic challenge either. :blink:

Stuster said:
Cheers for that Duff. :D

Mine was actually real juice from a variety of apples, crushed laboriously in our juicer. I may well head for the hills soon to buy some ready crushed juice from an orchard. Fermented with English ale yeast, three months in secondary (partly due to being away) and then best after several months in the bottle. Except for the waiting, easy as. :D

Not sure I'm game for the garlic challenge either. :blink:
[post="111950"][/post]​

Stuster, How did the ale yeast go with attenuating the sweetness in the apple juice? The last time that I tried a cider, it came out so dry, it was almost passable as Champagne :blink:

Was the end result, sweet, strong or dry???

M

Definitely dry. 1050 down to 999. The taste was a bit sharp but mellowed after a bit. I like my cider like this and usually have it straight. But for those who like a bit of sweetness I blend the cider with some Oztops fermented juice. These tend to be quite sweet so you can add to the sweetness desired. Also helps to make the cider less strong, as the Oztops stuff is only2-3% while the cider is almost 6.7!

Are there apple orchards in your area? Apples ripen in autumn and are available cheaply by the case.

Start planning now. Buy a juicer. I bought a Breville juice fountain, this takes whole apples. Makes lots of apple pulp too. You can make cakes, muffins out of some of the pulp. If you had a pig, they could eat the pulp, or chooks would like some too. Otherwise it goes in the compost.

Work out a decent recipe and buy your nutrients, yeast, tannic acid, camden tablets and pectinase (or pectinex.)

Juice the apples.
For every 5 litres juice add one crushed and dissolved camden tablet.
Wait 24 hours.
Add your pectinase or pectinex.
wait 24 hours.
Add your nutrients, tannic acids and any other bits from your recipe.
Pitch yeast. Let it ferment out. Rack. Wait a while, weeks or months. Bottle.

If you use a wine or chamagne yeast, the result would be very dry. Ale yeasts don't attenuate as much.

After you have the basic proceedure, here are some extras you could add. Honey, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar or malt extract.

pint of lager said:
Buy a juicer. I bought a Breville juice fountain, this takes whole apples.
[post="111970"][/post]​

Snap. I have the same juicer. I didn't use anything other than juice and yeast. Some malt extract or honey would probably help with the dryness as well as the nutrients. That said, the attenuation suggests that there was enough there for the yeast to do its job. It is very clear so I personally will not bother with pectinase. YMMV.

I just put down a ginger beer partly based on a recipe Doc posted in an earlier thread, I've done a similar one before and it was great. Forget ginger concentrate, just use a ginger beer kit then get a 200g peice of root ginger from the supermarket, peel it, then thoughrougly grind it with a stick blender. Chuck the pulp into some boiling water for a couple of minutes (doesn't need long as it;s naturally antiseptic anyway) then chuck in any extra malt extract, sugar or corn syrup that you're adding, stir til it dissolves, add your kit and dump the lot in your fermenter. Should come out nice and gingery and proper beer strength if you use the right amount of extra fermentables.

i agree with POL
try apples or ginger root
both easy to work with and taste like, err, apples or ginger.
who needs concentrate?

I've just done a ginger beer as sugested by SpaceMonkey.

Coopers GB kit.
~200g fresh ginger, diced up (couldn't find the @#$% grater) simmer a bit with some sugar.
Add some Light Dry Malt (~300g)
All up at least 2 - 2.25kg of fermentables.
OG = 1.040
FG = 0.996 :)

V tastey & V potent!

Does anyone Know if the coopers GB kits are artificially sweetened.?

We found the Coopers GB far too sweet for our tastes thanks to the artificial sweetener.

Does anyone have a recipe for something like Stone's Giner beer?

I've made a couple of GB batches up with the Brigalow kits and actually been happy with the outcome as a refreshing low strength ginger beer. I recently did a Coopers kit and it was unpleasantly sweet :(

Latest posts

Back