Ginger Beer Ferment Not Started

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
Hi.

On Sunday

Put down an old fashioned ginger beer kit with 2kg's of dextrose and the kit yeast to 23 litres.

It was very cold around 14 degrees, the ferment didnt start, so last night I gave it a shake put a blanket around it and left the heater on it all night.

Warmer now around 20-22 degrees, however this morning the ferment hadnt started.....

If it hasnt started when I get home @ 5pm should I put down a new yeast?

Cheers.

Not sure Drew - never done a ginger beer? Do ginger beers throw up a Krausen. If so I'd be looking for signs of that and sediment in the bottom. May be just a leak in the lid? What yeast did you use?

Kit yeast.

I am using a black fermentor with a black lid so not that easy unfortunately :(

+ using a shit beer only hydrometre @ the moment.

Hopefully she's happily bubbling away ATM.

Did the kit come with any yeast nutrient?
If there is no malt in there then you may need a yeast nutrient to get the thing kicked off I think...

The TCB ginger beer kit comes with a yeast nutrient and I use that even though I use malt in mine as well as dextrose.

Rich

Yeah it comes with the yeast nutrient.

Its the Westbrew brand.

Guys this still hasnt kicked off even after pitching a second yeast 2 days ago.

I have the temp up to 18-20 degrees now(jumper round fermentor + blanket)

Should I.

A ) Pitch 1 more yeast.
B ) Throw out.

No change in gravity at all, even after the second yeast. What's wrong with your hydrometer?

Did you rehydrate the second yeast?

I don't think there's any need to chuck it if the samples still taste uninfected. Try to warm it up some more by putting a bottle of hot water next to it or bringing it into the house.

Ashfield aye! I probably pass your joint every day on my way to work :)

No starter this time I am going to create a monster 14g of yeast, 250 mils of water starter.

Havent used the hydrometre(yes i am dumb sometimes)

And for starters - I normally chuck about 3 teaspoons of white sugar in the container that I use, do you's reckon thats necessary or just luke warm water?

Havent used the hydrometre(yes i am dumb sometimes)
If you havent taken hydrometre readings i wouldnt be so certain its not fermenting. both ginger beers ive done have had very little krausen, and we all know how crap an indicator the airlock is. whip out your hyrdometer and have a look were it's sitting currently

DC

don't add the sugar. High sugar concentration will damage the yeast at this stage, just rehydration rather than making a starter. This is what Danstar has to say about it, worth a read, from here, second question. Rehydrate with pre-boiled water, cooled to 40C water. Let this cool to near the wort temp. Add to wort within 30 minutes.

For the initial few minutes (perhaps seconds) of rehydration, the yeast cell wall cannot differentiate what passes through the wall. Toxic materials like sprays, hops, SO2 and sugars in high levels, that the yeast normally can selectively keep from passing through its cell wall rush right in and seriously damage the cells. The moment that the cell wall is properly reconstituted, the yeast can then regulate what goes in and out of the cell. That is why we hesitate to recommend rehydration in wort or must. Very dilute wort seems to be OK.

Its actually a shithouse brewiser one seems to have very little on it, thats the only thing, and there does seem to be some activity in the airlock - Using just a standard s-shape one, and all the water is on one side.

If you havent taken hydrometre readings i wouldnt be so certain its not fermenting. both ginger beers ive done have had very little krausen, and we all know how crap an indicator the airlock is. whip out your hyrdometer and have a look were it's sitting currently

What he said.

If your hydrometer is no good, time for a new one perhaps. Mostly you don't 'need' one, but they're good for times like this.

Had a look at my hydrometre its not bad just needs a test tube.

Would I get one from the chemist?

A couple of dollars from your homebrew store will get a new test tube jar. You could buy a measuring cylinder the right size, but these are glass and cost alot more.

Back