Getting The Wort To Pitching Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
You dont have to pitchyeast at 20 C just cause thats the temp of you chiller water

To enable you to pitch the yeast at 15C for the ales and 10C i(f that is suitable for the type of yeast you have. )

It seems to be OK to leave in the frige overnight to get to a better pitching temp.

what do you do ?

pumpy

I recently got a bilge pump which I use to pump 30L of water that has been sitting in the fridge through my immersion chiller. This easily gets the temp down to pitching.

I built myself a pre-chiller from the leftover copper pipe I bought for my immersion chiller (Rolled it around a frosen 2 l pet bottle.) I sit it in another esky full of ice (I get bags of ice at a very good price - even cheaper than a bulk buy!) After I have got the wort down to about 30 deg I introduce the pre chiller into the cooling program. At the momnent I can get it down to about 18-20 deg. Not bad when you consider the water temp at the moment is about 26 deg. (If I try really hard I reckon I could get it down to Lager pitching temps.)

:) Good to see some one asking some "leading" questions and getting some discussion going Pumpy.You'll be up for a poll soon.

Any ways,I crash cool to around 24c (as tap water temp allows)@ this time of the year and then transfer to a sanitised cube and cool o/night in a fridge or out doors on a crisp autumn/spring eve.Aerate the bejesus out of it the next day and pitch at desired temp.

I put my fermenter straight in the fridge. I strap the temperature sensor directly to it and it cools it pretty quickly.

If it is only a few degrees warm I just pitch. I haven't read anything to convince me this is deleterious to the beer and I haven't experienced problems myself - but I am open to suggestions.

Fermenter in the keg fridge is how I do it. Don't have a dedicated fermentation fridge yet, sadly.

Ive got a fermenting fridge, so when the wort is around the 25oC mark, I run-off from the boiler to fermenter, pitch and then straight to the fridge to start cooling to the correct temp...

After the pre chiller and immersion chiller straight into a tuckerbox freezer[which i bought from Screwtop :D ] and pitch when the temp is close enough <_< I don't fret if it is a few deg up.

Pond pump and ice slurry.

Good enough to get the wort down to 18c in summer. Only takes about 20-30 mins. after cooling with tap water first. :beerbang:

In winter you can get it down to lager pitching temps. :)

Warren -

Brauluver said:
:) Good to see some one asking some "leading" questions and getting some discussion going Pumpy.You'll be up for a poll soon.

[post="114059"][/post]​

Brauluver ,

Thanks I am really being paid by Ross to fill the his void, whilst he is MIA (Missing in Action) .

Only Joking !!! :)

Pumpy

Oops Ross is back now I can leave it all up too him ( new cap and all :)

Pumpy

After reading all this I'm now scared I pitched my yeast too hot 32*. My yeast was a recultured Coopers Pale Ale. I was very worried about leaving it to cool to a better pitching temperature, incase it got infected. Will it be OK, please tell me it will be OK ... please ...

Tim

Hupnupnee,

You really want to avoid your primary fermentation fermentingout in a couple of days at that temperature many flavours are imparted into your brew that are not always going to give you a nice tasting beer , sometimes it is good to get the good fruity flavours in English ales but I would suggest that temperature control is the key to better brewing .

Pumpy

hupnupnee said:
After reading all this I'm now scared I pitched my yeast too hot 32*. My yeast was a recultured Coopers Pale Ale. I was very worried about leaving it to cool to a better pitching temperature, incase it got infected. Will it be OK, please tell me it will be OK ... please ...

Tim
[post="114218"][/post]​

Might not win any awards but I'm sure it will still be drinkable. I've pitched the yeast at similar temps and the beer' still been ok. Next time though chuck 3 or 4 3 litre PET juice bottles full of water in your fridge the day before you brew, and if possible cool them off to near freezing just before adding to the fermenter. If you add them after you've added your tin and hot water, then top up with tap water (which is around 26 degrees at the moment) you should be able to get your wort to around 25-26 (maybe lower if you've had the bottles in the freezer).

Latest posts

Back