Getting Old Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanelliott

Reaction score
Just wondering where you guys get a hold of the old kegs to convert to brew kettles, etc? Where could l get a couple for cheap? (Because 'cheap' is my 2nd favorite price!!)

Stealth

Yeah, I too am interested to know this as many AHB members have them in their AG setups.

Is it possible that not all of them have been obtained 'correctly'? lol

I bought mine from the speights brewery - the spear holder thingy (technical term) was damaged so they wouldn't fit in the machinery. $25 a piece.

Fosters and Lion Nathan don't like to sell their kegs. Ask a local publican or sports club, they often have old unused kegs lying around

And may take legal action to recover them, if found long after they've been converted to other more worthwhile uses....

Foster people are doing the world a favour by having less of their kegs around.

Cider kegs
This one was listed here before in the ebay posts
I gave them a call and they still have some.
I don't know your location so the freight might be a killer.

Hope this helps.

Luke :beerbang:

I can get hold of some Lion Natahan kegs and they are legal $150 each.
Melbourne is probably the only place you can get them unless you want to pay freight.

I kbnow, I know $150 isn't cheap. They are legal though.

cheers

Darren

If you like Bling, Craig Deacon at Kegsystems.com used to sell a purpose built brand new 60L stainless boiler with welded tap and spout for $275. Not cheap but very nice!

TL

Good ideas. Didn't think CUB would just hand a couple over. I was hoping there might be someone who you can actually buy the kegs off .. then l could grab a few when l need to setup draught. Expensive l know, but those Kegs have got style & romance compared with the 18lt versions at homebrew stores.

"Style and Romance"?

Sheesh, and I thought I was easily impressed...

Good ideas. Didn't think CUB would just hand a couple over. I was hoping there might be someone who you can actually buy the kegs off .. then l could grab a few when l need to setup draught. Expensive l know, but those Kegs have got style & romance compared with the 18lt versions at homebrew stores.
Not to mention firken heavy to move around (empty or full) :blink: hard to clean Etc.Etc.

Stealth,

I assume you are not in Melbourne then?

cheers

Darren

Any southern Brisbane brewers Underwood demolition yard was offering some for sale $40 each had about six CUB/ Lion ect. Buy and keep reciept and they would be fairly legal I guess

And may take legal action to recover them, if found long after they've been converted to other more worthwhile uses....

have you ever heard of this happening to anyone? not that I'm worried or anything.

Brother in law works contract for west end in adelaide and hes spoken to the appropriate people on my behalf about getting kegs and was told all damaged kegs are destroyed and yep they do and have taken people to court over keg theft.
If you scrounge around enough as i have you may find some real old kegs with the old galv outer skin(heritage items these days) covering them.Totally obsolete to the brewers(useless in these days of one piece kegs) and when the outer is cut off it reveals a lovely inner of stainless steel.

Cheers
Big D

Buy and keep reciept and they would be fairly legal I guess

Sorry, but I don't beleive that this is the case.

Most kegs I have seen are stamped "always remains the property of ....." Means that they can't legally be sold or bought. You are receiving stolen property.

I was told this by a demolition yard guy.

David

As a law student I can tell you from a technical point of view - its not so much the possession of the keg but the 'damage' inflicted on it that is likely to cause a problem

lou

Buy and keep reciept and they would be fairly legal I guess

Sorry, but I don't beleive that this is the case.

Most kegs I have seen are stamped "always remains the property of ....." Means that they can't legally be sold or bought. You are receiving stolen property.

I was told this by a demolition yard guy.

David

Anyone noticed that post-mix kegs and beer bottles also have this stamped on them!

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back