Getting Old Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen it on a bottle , seen it on kegs of all kinds and types , i think one of my brew kegs belongs to pepsico of New york....

I've seen the "property of" stuff on beer bottles. The old proper crown seal ones that they used to refill. Obviously they wanted them back for refilling and many of the ones that I had were stamped on them stuff like "Property of Tasmanian bottling company".

In regard to kegs, I have bought the old fashioned kegs with the bung hole in the side directy from the brewery in 5 gallon, 9 gallon and 18 gallon sizes for $15, $18 and $20 respectfully. Unfortunately now though they don't sell them any more :(.

You can also supposedly buy brand new sankey kegs for around the $200 mark from a mob in melbourne (might have been "stainlesstanks.com(.au?)" but I can't remember), which actually make them cheaper than most 50L SS stock pots. I suspect it might be the same mob that Darren talks about, and I suspect the price will vary on the number bought.

where are they at oneills ???

sounds like theyre all brand new so thats a bonus ... if youve got the money to buy it that is ...
have seen brand new 23 liter kegs for About $190 at a brew shop with ball lock fittings ready to go... they were made in china but at a lot less in price of these guys does that really matter

They are HERE

I have been after a couple of 3 gallon kegs for small batches and parties. My local HBS has the Morgans one for $200 which i believe are made in China. Good old Aussie ones should be better made.

The 3 gallon kegs do turn up on ebay. There has been one recently with a buy now price of $195. Maybe Matt will come across some 3 gallons and sell them again.

Grain and Grape in Melbourne have brand new imported kegs (from Germany - with blue stripe/cummerbund around the middle) for either $120 or $180 (can't remember).

It's probably cheaper to buy one of them and cut the top off than it is to get a stainless vat and bore a hole for the ball-valve...

a friend was in a beer tap and fittings supply store trying to get a few pieces to go with his "liberated" keg. just happened to be a WE employee in the store at the time who ended up hassling him demanding his name and address so they could get the fuzz onto him.
put the wind up him enough to stick with the legal variety.
he then took some bad advice from a HBS owner and bought a heap of sh!t kegs with strange fittings.
one long and sad story.....

Back