Gelatine and bulk priming in the primary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandybits

Reaction score
I've just done an extract with hop addition for the first time. Its been in primary for 5 days and I was planning on leaving it for 2 to 3 weeks total as per John Palmer "How to Brew." I also wanted to try clearing this beer and bulk priming all in the primary.

I've had a hunt around but cant find anything specific. So I figure I will add my priming sugar to the primary then the gelatine, wait 1 to 2 days then bottle. I've got the fermenter on the fridge but it only gets down to 15C so I'm concerned the sugar addition may restart the ferment. But I can't work out how to bulk prime in the same vessel after clearing without defeating the whole clearing thing.

I could bulk prime in a bottling bucket or use carb drops but wanted to try clearing for the first time and was wondering if doing the bulk prime in the same vessel was possible/had been attempted by other?

Any advice...

Other way round. Gelatine, wait two or 3 days, bulk prime, then bottle.

You can bulk prime in the same vessel - the advantage of using the bucket is you leave behind the sediment in the primary vessel and considering you are going to the effort of clarifying with finings you don't want to stir up the sediment when moving the fermenter or bottling.

Also you get a better mix of priming solution if you rack.

Might work your way if you could get it really cold. Make sure the primaring solution is totally dissolved in boiled or boiling water first. Using a bottling bucket is pretty easy though.

Thanks manticle. I've got a second fermenter sitting idle so I may as well rack into that with the priming sugar.

I'm actually going to try priming with DME as I have some sitting here. Will that make fining the beer first pointless though. I'm guessing that DME isn't totally fementable (guessing because my quick research led to it being anywhere from 75% to 100%).

Only reason I wanted to try fining the beer as I made a very rough link between the sediment in my home brew and and not feeling so good the next day. That or it could be there is some much more home brew laying around...

Gelatin binds with yeast and helps drop it out so DME priming should be fine.

That's how I do it sandybits.

It's a bit of a fiddle around, but I usually cold crash or gelatine, transfer into a secondary and I add my carbonating sugars into that, give it a few stirs every now and then to make sure its evenly mixed when bottling.

Slight pain as you have to sanitise a bit more, but it's all good.

Lennox head as a location is awesome as well! Stayed there for a holiday with mates many years back at Lennox by the Beach, had a fantastic time. I still drop in every time I drive down South, usually stay at Ballina and drop into that italian restaurant for dinner, spaghetti with chilli lemon prawns I think it is. I'm hungry now.

I ended up putting 1 teaspoon of gelatine into a cup of boiling water then stirred that into the fermenter on Thursday (or Friday :unsure:). Today, I put my DME (mixed into a litre of boiling water) into my second fermenter and racked onto that. Wasn't too painful and it was sort of cool to be racking for the first time. My wife didn't see beer slowly draining from one fermenter into another that interesting.

Bax said:
That's how I do it sandybits.

It's a bit of a fiddle around, but I usually cold crash or gelatine, transfer into a secondary and I add my carbonating sugars into that, give it a few stirs every now and then to make sure its evenly mixed when bottling.

Slight pain as you have to sanitise a bit more, but it's all good.

Lennox head as a location is awesome as well! Stayed there for a holiday with mates many years back at Lennox by the Beach, had a fantastic time. I still drop in every time I drive down South, usually stay at Ballina and drop into that italian restaurant for dinner, spaghetti with chilli lemon prawns I think it is. I'm hungry now.
Dax, Lennox is a top spot. I havent been to that restaurant in Ballina for years now. It used to be called Tonys. I don't know what its called now, or ifs even still there. I am also hungy now and feeling a trip to the "restaurant formerly known as Tonys" is on the cards.

sandybits said:
..............My wife didn't see beer slowly draining from one fermenter into another that interesting.
You could try a syphon tube with a bigger inside diameter, my Mrs is quite impressed with mine.

i-a-n said:
You could try a syphon tube with a bigger inside diameter, my Mrs is quite impressed with mine.
:unsure: Are we talking about syphons or something else :)

Latest posts

Back