Gelatin Did Not Drop Out, Any Ideas ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
Latest kegged batch was AndrewQLD's CSA clone. Cold fined with gelatine in the keg as per accepted method, and then force carbed, but 3 days later the bugger is still muddy as. Lovely flavour, and damned close to the original, but looks like shit.
Every other cold gelatined keg I have attempted has worked a treat, but do I put this down to one of those unexplainable glitches, or am I missing something?

Regards

Rock the keg gently to resuspend all the yeast, then allow the keg to come up to room temperature. Then chill it again.

(sounds counter-intuitive, but resuspending the yeast will cause it to collide, and form larger flocs.)

How much did you use?
Too much can stop it flocking.
MHB

Any reason you don't chill and gelatine in the fermenter before going into keg?

1 x teaspoon / 100ml boiled water. Have had no dramas the last half dozen times, BUT, I've never used a measuring spoon either.

Regards

1 x teaspoon / 100ml boiled water. Have had no dramas the last half dozen times, BUT, I've never used a measuring spoon either.

Regards

As MHB said, too much can stop it flocking...but the amount you used should be fine, even if it wasn't a measured spoon...

Any reason you don't chill and gelatine in the fermenter before going into keg?

Only have temp controled space for 2 fermenters, CD, with each invariably at different stages of progress, so its makes more sense for me to keg first, rather than drop the temp on another batch that may not benefit from it. This method has worked so far...

Regards

Latest posts

Back