Carbonation - Effervescence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9dollar

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster but have been scouring the forums like mad to learn as much as I can.

I recently got a kegerator and have put down my first brew - a JSGA clone using extracts.

After an initial failure using a coopers kit (cider!) I am really happy with the flavours.

The other day I kegged my JSGA after cold conditioning for a 48 hrs or so to drop some of the sediment and added gelatine to my keg (as per guide on here) for fining.

All going well I come to carbonation, being very impatient I went the force carb method and royally screwed it up - massive overcarbonation. I degassed the keg back to flat and tried again. This time only setting my reg to 12psi as per the carbination charts to achieve 2.5 co2 levels and slowly rocking the keg over 15 minutes or so until it could not absorb any more co2.

On waiting for the keg to settle I then burped it and regassed to serving level (about 8psi).

The beer seems to have some level of carbonation, a great head is formed and not too unruly. However I don't seem to have many bubbles inside the actual beer or effervescence which is what I was hoping for. There are very fine bubbles just under the head and these cling to the glass as you move it around but none at the bottom of the glass.

Is this something that will develop with some time at serving pressure or is it more to do with the properties of the beer? I know a pub pulled golden ale can usually be quite flat with a foamy head.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum 9dollar. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I'd be interested myself, I've found since moving to kegging (bout 12 months now I think) that some beers, well most really, don't have those millions of little bubbles but rather larger and fewer ones. Carbonation is still fine and head retention and size are not affected

Hi all,

First time poster but have been scouring the forums like mad to learn as much as I can.

I recently got a kegerator and have put down my first brew - a JSGA clone using extracts.

After an initial failure using a coopers kit (cider!) I am really happy with the flavours.

The other day I kegged my JSGA after cold conditioning for a 48 hrs or so to drop some of the sediment and added gelatine to my keg (as per guide on here) for fining.

All going well I come to carbonation, being very impatient I went the force carb method and royally screwed it up - massive overcarbonation. I degassed the keg back to flat and tried again. This time only setting my reg to 12psi as per the carbination charts to achieve 2.5 co2 levels and slowly rocking the keg over 15 minutes or so until it could not absorb any more co2.

On waiting for the keg to settle I then burped it and regassed to serving level (about 8psi).

The beer seems to have some level of carbonation, a great head is formed and not too unruly. However I don't seem to have many bubbles inside the actual beer or effervescence which is what I was hoping for. There are very fine bubbles just under the head and these cling to the glass as you move it around but none at the bottom of the glass.

Is this something that will develop with some time at serving pressure or is it more to do with the properties of the beer? I know a pub pulled golden ale can usually be quite flat with a foamy head.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.
i use the ross method @ 40psi but it is trial and error, i believe if you use the rocking method, pressure should be set to 200kpa or 28psi (seen something like this on youtube i think) , anyhow welcome to the forum

i use the ross method @ 40psi but it is trial and error, i believe if you use the rocking method, pressure should be set to 200kpa or 28psi (seen something like this on youtube i think) , anyhow welcome to the forum
I am failry new to kegging as well, I tried the ross method and the let ir sit method. I found the Ross method too hit and miss and the let ir sit method is ok if you have a second keg and room in your fridge, which i haven't. I have a 23 litre keg which is shorter and wider than the popular cornelius kegs which gives me a greater surface area to absorb the co2. Anyway, the last method i used was perfect "for my set up" I chilled keg to about 2C, set gas to 300 KPA and left for 16 Hours and was perfect....maybe a touch under carbed, but i prefer under carbed at least you can increase, rather than have to shake keg, vent etc, I then set to desired KPA as per carb chart and by beer o'clock it was spot on. I have the little buubles flowing up the glass as well.....buy some "Headmaster" Glasses they have the bottom of the glass sand blasted which keeps the gas agitated.

Hope this helps....Cheers

Thanks for the help guys.

I tested it again this morning and once again got a good foamy head with only a handful of small bubbles in the beer and millions of tiny bubbles just under the head.

Would the safest option be to leave it on the gas at around 12psi for a few days?

Thanks for the help guys.

I tested it again this morning and once again got a good foamy head with only a handful of small bubbles in the beer and millions of tiny bubbles just under the head.

Would the safest option be to leave it on the gas at around 12psi for a few days?
Sounds like good plan!!

Back