IPA no aroma - yeast or process?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding purged kegs, I just purge with CO2, disconnect the gas, bleed off the pressure, open/remove the lid and siphon through the top of the keg. Co2 is heavier than air - so my assumption is that it needs a mechanical force to move it out of the keg - eg beer. I siphon for a few reasons - I ferment in Stainless FVs, but I don't have taps on them. It takes about the same time to transfer to the keg. Plus I can control the depth of the siphon.
I only use hop socks if I intend to re use the yeast. If i am using them, I will use 2 or 3 socks in the FV.
Hop sock over the tap outlet - should work as long as you don't have very much hop particles etc getting into the keg as it may block up.

That's a thought Coodgee. I've got a stainless float that was supposed to go on my wort recirc line but was too small - I might try tying a small hop sock around the tap inlet with the float in it to keep it above the yeast cake, otherwise I reckon it would clog up pretty quickly.

As you say plenty of people don't seem to have a problem with hop debris from loose dry hopping but I certainly do, mostly from US-05 too. I've actually switched to WLP090 recently which is supposed to floc a bit harder and might not have as much of a problem, I've only used it with hop socks for the dry hops so far but that may not be necessary with this yeast.

A few things to change up for next time. Good stuff guys.

Picks of keg-filling for reference if anyone's interested:

16-02-2017 9-37-02 AM.jpg
16-02-2017 9-38-01 AM.jpg

Hey Coodgee,

A full keg of santizer....what do you do with that?

Also, when transferring into the keg with hoppy beers, remove the pins from the disconnect and post, no blockages

Pratty1 said:
Hey Coodgee,

A full keg of santizer....what do you do with that?

Also, when transferring into the keg with hoppy beers, remove the pins from the disconnect and post, no blockages
Water the garden... it goes cloudy straight away so i am loath to reuse it. Wasteful i know. Removing the pins is a good idea. I also recently got a cask float and replaced my dip tube with it. Should keep any hop floaties out of the serving glass until the last pint.

Back