Gear Help Please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Reaction score
Hi folks, after a 2 year break from brewing. I'm trying to get my stuff together and I am not sure what some of these parts are.
first is this white thing which came in the bag with the cheap tap... any ideas??? :unsure:
DSC00976.jpg

Next is the font and tap which I got ages ago from eBay. The whole thing is suffering a bit of corrosion and stuff. The bottom looks as though it has been hacked off and I am curious about the 3 pipes at the base. Are they stufffed from the hacksaw job? Are two of them for flooding and the other for beer line? Can it be resurrected???
DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

Now finally, I bought this beer line and it is 5mm x 8mm but I don't think it will fit over these barb style quick disconnects, did I buy the wrong size or something... or is there a trick to heating it up so it stretches over the barb????
DSC00977.jpg

Sorry for the silly questions I hope it's not too tedious for you lot. :rolleyes:
Thanks heaps for any help

the 1st thingy looks like a backflow valve to prevent beer getting up the CO2 line to your regulator,
you should get 5mm ID line onto those quick connects if you put the ends in a cup of hot water for a minute. Dunno bout the font though , Cheers

I put the quick connect in hot water too or the barb'll cool the hose to quickly when you start to push it on

Hey glaab, that's a good tip about heating the barb.

Thing is: I am moving from bottling to kegging and trying to do it all on a very tight budget too. It will be worth the effort in the end though.

Hey Hando,

Fist piccy looks like one of these - LINKY to confirm it is, blow and suck on one of the ends and it will soon tell you if its a non return valve. these fit between you regulator and keg on your gas line. they are really a MUST HAVE. even if it saves your regulator once its still worth it.

As for the font, the 2 most corroded looking pipes would be for coolant and the other will be for product.

For the Barbs, stick the hose in boiling water first then push it over the barb, should be a piece of piss.

Cheers

Sully

hando,
The first item is the non-return valve as glaab said. put this between your Reg and you Gas QD.

The font - you are correct - it's a single flooded font, two pipes are for the glycol (green stuff costed pipes) and the third will be the beer. Not sure how the pipe connects to the top spigot, you may need to pull it apart to have a look and see how to connect your beer line. If your not flooding the font, you might be able to remove the pipes and just have you beer line going in.

glaab gave you a top tip for getting the line on the barb. you may even want to have a small pot of boiling water going to hold the line it to 'soften it up. a pair of needlenose pliers and stretch the opening a bit, and it can be forced over. a bit of a pain in the arse, but once these lil gems are on, the stay on. and make sure you slide the hose clamp over the line first.

edit: beaten again.. sorry for the double-up on info.

The others above all have you straightened out, had a thought re the font, maybe take it to a plumber and see if he can add a little copper pipe to those ends to make them easier to attach hoses to.

Screwy

Very good info people. I can't believe how out of touch I am with all this. I should never have stopped!!

Maple, the beer line attaches to the tap snaplock like this:
DSC00980.jpg

I have since noticed that the beer line in the font is smaller than what I have, and that I cannot feed the 5mm x 8mm up the small hole in the base of the font. Not only that, I will not be able to connect it to the snaplock attach fitting pictured. Any suggestions? I had a look here! It's the only line that doesn't say OD 8mm.

One more thing folks... the plastic fitting which accepts the beer line at the back of the snaplock (pictured) is a bit old and I'd like to replace it. Could someone please help me find a replacement part?

Thanks again. :icon_chickcheers:

One more thing folks... the plastic fitting which accepts the beer line at the back of the snaplock (pictured) is a bit old and I'd like to replace it. Could someone please help me find a replacement part?

Thanks again. :icon_chickcheers:

Try THIS one maybe??

I have since noticed that the beer line in the font is smaller than what I have, and that I cannot feed the 5mm x 8mm up the small hole in the base of the font. Not only that, I will not be able to connect it to the snaplock attach fitting pictured. Any suggestions? I had a look here! It's the only line that doesn't say OD 8mm.
Can you measure the old beer line? It could be 4mm x 7mm

I will measure it and post details when I get home. It's definitely smaller than the 5 x 8.

I think that the John Guest fitting is too large for my font (8mm)!!

Ok I measured it and found that the beer line is 4mm ID and 6mm OD.

I'll keep looking... hmmmm

Latest posts

Back